Used 1996 Ford Bronco XL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Bronco SUV

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:

One Tough Truck
By SJack

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

My Bronco was bought from an Auction with only 27,000 miles on it but being a Fed. Fish and Wildlife truck it had been horribly abused with a broken front axle as well at one time going for a swim in the Sacramento Delta. I now have 195,000 miles on it, of hard Nevada backcounty dirt road driving and its still going. Repairs have been minimal considering the abuse and has never not started or gotten me at least to a paved road without hesitation. I wish ford had never stopped building them because I know they would sell. For us who make our living in the back county there is no replacement.

Favorite Features

Durability, Ease of maintenance, Short wheelbase, ability to leave rear window down while driving on sunny days, and enough cargo room to carry two weeks woth of supplies without having everything hanging off the outside of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better door and window seals, Diesel Motor

I love my truck!
By SoxCrazy

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck in 2007. I got it for $750!! The body is in fairly excellent shape. There are small spots at the tailgate window area, looks like someone slid something into the cargo area that took the paint off. Easily fixed. And the rear door needs some work before it will open. I have noticed that the underside is rusting out, I've had to replace all the metal brake lines. That is just living in VT. Once I get the rest of the undercarriage cleaned up I'll have it treated.The starter went and it sometimes has trouble starting after a rain. The ball joints are shot and the 4x4 may be next. Repairs now may be a little costly but I love the truck and I don't care. For what I paid, its ok

Favorite Features

The ride is awesome. I love the cargo capacity. The power is unmatched (5.0, 302). I live in the mountains of VT so snowy driving is a given and she doesn't flinch. Love the automatic hubs and the standard tranny. The rear window is awesome for air flow instead of the A/C. Turning radius rocks.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG is always a good thing but has been said, you don't buy this truck for that. I can't think of anything else. Most of my trouble is previous ownership neglect. I just love the truck more than I can say. I will run it till it's dead and then revive it or replace it.

A geologist review of a full size Bronco
By sjack

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Being a person who absolutley makes a living working out of his truck and driving off road daily I have found that the full size Bronco Is the perfect truck for some on in my buisness. Repairs have been minimal, the ride on the road is as good as anything on the road that is off road capable. And when it breaks the parts are avalable at any auto parts store. When you compair a bronco against a comperable Jeep. Jeeps have no room inside requiring everthing to be hung off the outside with worse mileage and without the durability. Infact to set Jeeps up for tough off-roading they put Bronco parts on them to make them work.

Favorite Features

Short wheel base in a full size truck is what makes this veicle special with the ability to tow large trailers when the need comes up. With the 1996 model came fuel management which turns the mileage for a bronco from single digits to between 16 to 19 miles per gallon. This is in the range of a Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

Start building new ones using the new f150 and people will come out of the woodwork to buy them. The only improvements I would make is a new pre- runner suspension and a diesel motor would make this truck an ultimate off- roader.

Bronco
By John Adamo

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I have never unsure about the performance of this truck. Any time I need to pull out into traffic, I am sure to merge very effectively with plenty of horse power and great visiblity of the road. The truck has been well maintained and and is in excellent running condition!

Favorite Features

Automatic lock-in hubs has been a very convenient feature as well as the operation of the back seat. Whether you take it out or fold it over or just use it for passengers, it is never in the way.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Owner x 6 yrs
By gertrude fillmore

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought @ 16000 and drove it the next wk. to Alaska and back. Not one problem. Poor gas mileage? Yea but i did not get it for MPG. I bought for safety, dogs, camping and general usefullness and I think its just cool. Only problems have been with the quality/craftsmanship of interior. Hell, a grab handle would have been nice. Once every few months, must retighten all interior screws. Changed oil regulary, have had no problems w/engine...yet. Changed to manual locking hubs, much better. Back window scratches because you must roll into tailgate to open back.

Favorite Features

high clearance, 4WD, large interior for packing stuff, engine (302, 5L, V8)., towing capability, feel safe driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt steering wheel, Poor design w/back window - sratches from repeated rolling down. (replaced twice due to visibility issues). Air cond. vents are at level of the 10 and 2 posistion of hands on steering wheel. Must move hand posistions to get air to face.