Used 1996 Ford Bronco SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Bronco SUV

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:

Bronco XLT with 5.8L/351W
By 12345678910

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

Our Bronco it the most reliable vehicles we have every owned, basically I got the Bronco from a family member who purchased it new in '96. The Bronco has 170K on it, and most of the factory parts are still on the Bronco today. The motor has never been open or out of the Bronco, as well as the transmission. The 351W engine runs strong, even with all of smog B.S on it. The Bronco still has it's original paint which it still decent , and has a rust free body. The only real problem we have with the Bronco, is the cheaply made auto 4x4 hubs, which we converted to lock-outs. Even the leather interior is still in decent shape. Lastly, our Bronco has been well maintained with 90% highway miles.

Favorite Features

Two door- Short wheel base - Fun to drive - Can run topless - Built on a F150 chassis - Looks good - Part-time 4wd - Limited slip rear axle that actually works - Solid body - Folding rear seat - Climate control works great - Power locks and windows - Rides nice

Suggested Improvements

Remove all the junk science EPA emission B.S off the engine, especially the EGR valve. If your Bronco has automatic front hubs, throw the auto hubs in the trash, and replace them with good quailty lock-outs.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By 631rob1991

1996 Ford Bronco SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

My favorite of all time. Best quality, take anywhere 4x4.

13 years, 1 owner
By Orig Owner 96 Bronco

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 96 XLT 5.8L Bronco new in 1996. I still own it in 2009, and plan to keep it probably 5 more years. This vehicle has been super reliable. I have 113k miles now. No rust, but I live in FL and don't see snow. Super capable off road and comfortable on road. A few problems, front suspension bushings replaced, ball joinsts need replacing (but not causing tire wear, so i'm letting them be), radiator leaked (replaced it myself), bad EGR valve. Other than that, nothing major to speak of. Front brakes last about 60k, tires 50k, I always get lots of compliments on the truck and offers to buy, but why sell when I'd have to pay $35K for an inferior replacement vehicle. MPG observed is 13/15

Favorite Features

Roomy inside, reliability, durability, uniqueness, styling, simplicity of repairs and maint (most are DIY). I thank God for my family, job, and truck every day!

Suggested Improvements

Someone needs to make another no- nonsense large SUV. They make them overseas, but why not here? 4 doors would be nice next time around, but definitely no uni-body or front wheel drive based drivetrains. Think 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser.

They keep asking to buy my '96 EB Bronco
By BReilly

1996 Ford Bronco SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I can't begin to tell you how many people ask me to sell them my '96 EB Bronco. Ford has had many better ideas but, discontinuing the Bronco was not one of them. With a fuel injected 351 c.i. V-8, I can get up to 17 mpg highway and about 14 mpg city. Not bad for a full size rig. One of the best features on the rig is a cast aluminum air intake manifold on the engine. The new Ford engines sport plastic air intake manifolds that may last 60,000 to 100,000 miles IF YOU'RE LUCKY, and when they fail, you're looking at a $1,000 + bill to repair.

Favorite Features

Great looks. Wonderful paint layout. Tons of room. Tailgate with electric rolldown window. Very nice analog dash layout. People love to talk to me about it.

Suggested Improvements

Make them again. Wonderful rigs!

Regret
By Jim

1996 Ford Bronco SUV XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This was the best vehicle I have ever owned and regret that I sold it. I have been looking for the a burgandy/silver one for the past five years. It was the most dependable and comfortable vehicle I have driven. It was practically maintenance free. I still wished that Ford would bring it back. I don't care about the gas milage because you save it on maintence.

Favorite Features

Comfort and color

Suggested Improvements

None just bring it back