1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:
One Tough Truck
By SJack on 04/21/09 16:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

My Bronco was bought from an Auction with only 27,000 miles on it but being a Fed. Fish and Wildlife truck it had been horribly abused with a broken front axle as well at one time going for a swim in the Sacramento Delta. I now have 195,000 miles on it, of hard Nevada backcounty dirt road driving and its still going. Repairs have been minimal considering the abuse and has never not started or gotten me at least to a paved road without hesitation. I wish ford had never stopped building them because I know they would sell. For us who make our living in the back county there is no replacement.

I love my truck!
By SoxCrazy on 03/21/09 05:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck in 2007. I got it for $750!! The body is in fairly excellent shape. There are small spots at the tailgate window area, looks like someone slid something into the cargo area that took the paint off. Easily fixed. And the rear door needs some work before it will open. I have noticed that the underside is rusting out, I've had to replace all the metal brake lines. That is just living in VT. Once I get the rest of the undercarriage cleaned up I'll have it treated.The starter went and it sometimes has trouble starting after a rain. The ball joints are shot and the 4x4 may be next. Repairs now may be a little costly but I love the truck and I don't care. For what I paid, its ok

A geologist review of a full size Bronco
By sjack on 01/27/09 20:07 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Being a person who absolutley makes a living working out of his truck and driving off road daily I have found that the full size Bronco Is the perfect truck for some on in my buisness. Repairs have been minimal, the ride on the road is as good as anything on the road that is off road capable. And when it breaks the parts are avalable at any auto parts store. When you compair a bronco against a comperable Jeep. Jeeps have no room inside requiring everthing to be hung off the outside with worse mileage and without the durability. Infact to set Jeeps up for tough off-roading they put Bronco parts on them to make them work.

Bronco
By John Adamo on 04/12/05 17:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I have never unsure about the performance of this truck. Any time I need to pull out into traffic, I am sure to merge very effectively with plenty of horse power and great visiblity of the road. The truck has been well maintained and and is in excellent running condition!

Owner x 6 yrs
By gertrude fillmore on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought @ 16000 and drove it the next wk. to Alaska and back. Not one problem. Poor gas mileage? Yea but i did not get it for MPG. I bought for safety, dogs, camping and general usefullness and I think its just cool. Only problems have been with the quality/craftsmanship of interior. Hell, a grab handle would have been nice. Once every few months, must retighten all interior screws. Changed oil regulary, have had no problems w/engine...yet. Changed to manual locking hubs, much better. Back window scratches because you must roll into tailgate to open back.

bulletproof
By cbrett on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Full size Bronco is one tough vehicle. Terrible mileage (13-15mpg) and prehistoric design (unchanged since the 70s), but utilitarian and very safe and reliable. Not a good choice for long range commuting, but an excellent utility vehicle.