Used 1996 Ford Bronco XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:

Bronco XLT with 5.8L/351W
By 12345678910

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

Our Bronco it the most reliable vehicles we have every owned, basically I got the Bronco from a family member who purchased it new in '96. The Bronco has 170K on it, and most of the factory parts are still on the Bronco today. The motor has never been open or out of the Bronco, as well as the transmission. The 351W engine runs strong, even with all of smog B.S on it. The Bronco still has it's original paint which it still decent , and has a rust free body. The only real problem we have with the Bronco, is the cheaply made auto 4x4 hubs, which we converted to lock-outs. Even the leather interior is still in decent shape. Lastly, our Bronco has been well maintained with 90% highway miles.

Two door- Short wheel base - Fun to drive - Can run topless - Built on a F150 chassis - Looks good - Part-time 4wd - Limited slip rear axle that actually works - Solid body - Folding rear seat - Climate control works great - Power locks and windows - Rides nice

Remove all the junk science EPA emission B.S off the engine, especially the EGR valve. If your Bronco has automatic front hubs, throw the auto hubs in the trash, and replace them with good quailty lock-outs.

13 years, 1 owner
By Orig Owner 96 Bronco

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 96 XLT 5.8L Bronco new in 1996. I still own it in 2009, and plan to keep it probably 5 more years. This vehicle has been super reliable. I have 113k miles now. No rust, but I live in FL and don't see snow. Super capable off road and comfortable on road. A few problems, front suspension bushings replaced, ball joinsts need replacing (but not causing tire wear, so i'm letting them be), radiator leaked (replaced it myself), bad EGR valve. Other than that, nothing major to speak of. Front brakes last about 60k, tires 50k, I always get lots of compliments on the truck and offers to buy, but why sell when I'd have to pay $35K for an inferior replacement vehicle. MPG observed is 13/15

Roomy inside, reliability, durability, uniqueness, styling, simplicity of repairs and maint (most are DIY). I thank God for my family, job, and truck every day!

Someone needs to make another no- nonsense large SUV. They make them overseas, but why not here? 4 doors would be nice next time around, but definitely no uni-body or front wheel drive based drivetrains. Think 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser.

Regret
By Jim

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This was the best vehicle I have ever owned and regret that I sold it. I have been looking for the a burgandy/silver one for the past five years. It was the most dependable and comfortable vehicle I have driven. It was practically maintenance free. I still wished that Ford would bring it back. I don't care about the gas milage because you save it on maintence.

Comfort and color

None just bring it back

Bring it back
By Ford Fanatic

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought our 1996 Bronco XLT in 2001 for $10000. It had 100000 miles on it. I thought was a little high for only 5 years old. But, boy was it worth it. We are now approaching 180000 with no repairs other than brakes, tires and other routine maint. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. It has never failed me. Although I wanted the eddie baur at the time, I would never trade my XLT for one now.

4X4, 5.8 litre, electric rear window, wing windows, captain chairs.

Start building it again. I bought an Expedition and although the Expedition is nice(love the four doors and the gadgets). It's just not the same as my beloved Bronco.

They don't build them like this anymore!
By broncobustinman

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Bronco from the dealer and paid $16500 for it fully loaded and has a 5.8L that has never given me trouble. Had about 40k on it, now 8 years later I am at 95k. I have spent the usual amount on the ususal things that go bad in time with any car or truck (i.e ball joints, radiator hose,exhuast pipe, brakes, shocks, front end bushings, battery, the original one lasted 7 years! All in all this truck has given me dependable transportaton where all new cars can't. I 'll drive it till the wheels fall off. I know it will last for me to give it to my son (he's now two). Keep them all original they are beautiful trucks just the way the Ford made them.

Signal in the mirrors, 5.8l motor, rear power window, removable top, lots of room for hauling stuff and going long trips. Perfect truck for hunting in the woods. Decent gas mileage for a big truck.

None, that's the way the truck was made, that's the way it needs to stay!