1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:
Bronco XLT with 5.8L/351W
By 12345678910 on 02/23/12 19:41 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

Our Bronco it the most reliable vehicles we have every owned, basically I got the Bronco from a family member who purchased it new in '96. The Bronco has 170K on it, and most of the factory parts are still on the Bronco today. The motor has never been open or out of the Bronco, as well as the transmission. The 351W engine runs strong, even with all of smog B.S on it. The Bronco still has it's original paint which it still decent , and has a rust free body. The only real problem we have with the Bronco, is the cheaply made auto 4x4 hubs, which we converted to lock-outs. Even the leather interior is still in decent shape. Lastly, our Bronco has been well maintained with 90% highway miles.

13 years, 1 owner
By Orig Owner 96 Bronco on 11/04/09 17:43 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 96 XLT 5.8L Bronco new in 1996. I still own it in 2009, and plan to keep it probably 5 more years. This vehicle has been super reliable. I have 113k miles now. No rust, but I live in FL and don't see snow. Super capable off road and comfortable on road. A few problems, front suspension bushings replaced, ball joinsts need replacing (but not causing tire wear, so i'm letting them be), radiator leaked (replaced it myself), bad EGR valve. Other than that, nothing major to speak of. Front brakes last about 60k, tires 50k, I always get lots of compliments on the truck and offers to buy, but why sell when I'd have to pay $35K for an inferior replacement vehicle. MPG observed is 13/15

Regret
By Jim on 05/30/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This was the best vehicle I have ever owned and regret that I sold it. I have been looking for the a burgandy/silver one for the past five years. It was the most dependable and comfortable vehicle I have driven. It was practically maintenance free. I still wished that Ford would bring it back. I don't care about the gas milage because you save it on maintence.

Bring it back
By Ford Fanatic on 05/25/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought our 1996 Bronco XLT in 2001 for $10000. It had 100000 miles on it. I thought was a little high for only 5 years old. But, boy was it worth it. We are now approaching 180000 with no repairs other than brakes, tires and other routine maint. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. It has never failed me. Although I wanted the eddie baur at the time, I would never trade my XLT for one now.

They don't build them like this anymore!
By broncobustinman on 07/13/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Bronco from the dealer and paid $16500 for it fully loaded and has a 5.8L that has never given me trouble. Had about 40k on it, now 8 years later I am at 95k. I have spent the usual amount on the ususal things that go bad in time with any car or truck (i.e ball joints, radiator hose,exhuast pipe, brakes, shocks, front end bushings, battery, the original one lasted 7 years! All in all this truck has given me dependable transportaton where all new cars can't. I 'll drive it till the wheels fall off. I know it will last for me to give it to my son (he's now two). Keep them all original they are beautiful trucks just the way the Ford made them.

Best vehicle ever owned
By 1st Bronco on 06/16/08 21:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

After always wanting a Bronco, I finally purchased one outright for $5,000. It had 140,000 miles on it. I've now owned it for one year and 3 months and the only maintenance I've done is an oil change. It is the best running vehicle I have ever owned, and I will never part with it. Gas mileage is awful, but the other benefits outweigh it tremendously. I drive down the road with my children and I feel safe. That alone is worth paying extra for gas. I love my Bronco.

Best built Fords
By rich on 12/05/07 15:36 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the best built series of Ford I have encountered. I have driven every body style ford up until the 2004 F series. Rugged, reliable and great ride

Ford Bronco simply the best 4x4
By Ronnie Moses on 10/24/06 08:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

The Ford Bronco was simply the Best all around, most versatile vehicle ever built by any manufacturer. It possessed the ability to go almost anywhere while retaining creature comforts only seen in sedans of its day. It is true that many "suv's" of its day may have ridden and handled better on the highway, however none from the factory could go offroad with it and ride and handle as well as it did on road. As for the mechanicals I can only speak for the 17 Broncos I have owned from 1988 to 1996, the worse problem I ever had was an o2 sensor. The only one I have left is my 1988 which has 275,000 miles on it and is still running great. I had 4 1996's all of which were sold with 150,000 miles+.

No Regrets
By TruckGal on 04/26/06 19:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

After comparing trucks for almost a year, this Portofino Blue & Silver Bronco caught our eye. We bought it the next day. It had 49,000 miles on it and had never seen a dirt road until we got a hold of it. It's still stock except for the addition of an AirHog filter and SuperWinch manual hubs; a brush guard is coming soon. It came with the optional 265/75-15 tires. And it still rides and looks great! My husband loves the tight turn radius; I'm fond of the agility in snow and rain. No hesitation at all when we need some oomph, either; the beast just picks up and goes. There is nothing quite like a Bronco.

My Second Ford Bronco
By G Martin on 03/05/05 10:15 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

The truck has been "bullet proof", never been towed, never any major mechanical failure. Regular maintenance is average to high, but that goes with owning a 4WD truck. I keep it well tuned and regularly serviced, so I guess I shouldn't expect problems operating it. It is the perfect vehicle for hunting or fishing, carries 4 good sized adults comfortably with all their gear. Good towing capacity as well, nicely stowed. Its a shame that none of the auto makers consider a vehicle like this. I'd be in line to buy a new one tomorrow.