1996 Ford Bronco - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bronco model:
Bronco XLT with 5.8L/351W
By 12345678910 on 02/23/12 19:41 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

Our Bronco it the most reliable vehicles we have every owned, basically I got the Bronco from a family member who purchased it new in '96. The Bronco has 170K on it, and most of the factory parts are still on the Bronco today. The motor has never been open or out of the Bronco, as well as the transmission. The 351W engine runs strong, even with all of smog B.S on it. The Bronco still has it's original paint which it still decent , and has a rust free body. The only real problem we have with the Bronco, is the cheaply made auto 4x4 hubs, which we converted to lock-outs. Even the leather interior is still in decent shape. Lastly, our Bronco has been well maintained with 90% highway miles.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By 631rob1991 on 03/06/11 21:41 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

My favorite of all time. Best quality, take anywhere 4x4.

13 years, 1 owner
By Orig Owner 96 Bronco on 11/04/09 17:43 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 96 XLT 5.8L Bronco new in 1996. I still own it in 2009, and plan to keep it probably 5 more years. This vehicle has been super reliable. I have 113k miles now. No rust, but I live in FL and don't see snow. Super capable off road and comfortable on road. A few problems, front suspension bushings replaced, ball joinsts need replacing (but not causing tire wear, so i'm letting them be), radiator leaked (replaced it myself), bad EGR valve. Other than that, nothing major to speak of. Front brakes last about 60k, tires 50k, I always get lots of compliments on the truck and offers to buy, but why sell when I'd have to pay $35K for an inferior replacement vehicle. MPG observed is 13/15

They keep asking to buy my '96 EB Bronco
By BReilly on 07/16/09 22:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I can't begin to tell you how many people ask me to sell them my '96 EB Bronco. Ford has had many better ideas but, discontinuing the Bronco was not one of them. With a fuel injected 351 c.i. V-8, I can get up to 17 mpg highway and about 14 mpg city. Not bad for a full size rig. One of the best features on the rig is a cast aluminum air intake manifold on the engine. The new Ford engines sport plastic air intake manifolds that may last 60,000 to 100,000 miles IF YOU'RE LUCKY, and when they fail, you're looking at a $1,000 + bill to repair.

Regret
By Jim on 05/30/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This was the best vehicle I have ever owned and regret that I sold it. I have been looking for the a burgandy/silver one for the past five years. It was the most dependable and comfortable vehicle I have driven. It was practically maintenance free. I still wished that Ford would bring it back. I don't care about the gas milage because you save it on maintence.

Bring it back
By Ford Fanatic on 05/25/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought our 1996 Bronco XLT in 2001 for $10000. It had 100000 miles on it. I thought was a little high for only 5 years old. But, boy was it worth it. We are now approaching 180000 with no repairs other than brakes, tires and other routine maint. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. It has never failed me. Although I wanted the eddie baur at the time, I would never trade my XLT for one now.

One Tough Truck
By SJack on 04/21/09 16:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

My Bronco was bought from an Auction with only 27,000 miles on it but being a Fed. Fish and Wildlife truck it had been horribly abused with a broken front axle as well at one time going for a swim in the Sacramento Delta. I now have 195,000 miles on it, of hard Nevada backcounty dirt road driving and its still going. Repairs have been minimal considering the abuse and has never not started or gotten me at least to a paved road without hesitation. I wish ford had never stopped building them because I know they would sell. For us who make our living in the back county there is no replacement.

I love my truck!
By SoxCrazy on 03/21/09 05:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck in 2007. I got it for $750!! The body is in fairly excellent shape. There are small spots at the tailgate window area, looks like someone slid something into the cargo area that took the paint off. Easily fixed. And the rear door needs some work before it will open. I have noticed that the underside is rusting out, I've had to replace all the metal brake lines. That is just living in VT. Once I get the rest of the undercarriage cleaned up I'll have it treated.The starter went and it sometimes has trouble starting after a rain. The ball joints are shot and the 4x4 may be next. Repairs now may be a little costly but I love the truck and I don't care. For what I paid, its ok

Love my Bronx
By Charles Hudgins Jr. on 02/20/09 12:56 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had this truck for more than 10 years and the only thing I have done was change brakes and tires, oh and one lower ball joint. She starts and runs like no other. I guess I should change the oil more often though. I tell you we started at 45000 miles and are now at 218000 and still runs smooth and hard.

A geologist review of a full size Bronco
By sjack on 01/27/09 20:07 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Bronco XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Being a person who absolutley makes a living working out of his truck and driving off road daily I have found that the full size Bronco Is the perfect truck for some on in my buisness. Repairs have been minimal, the ride on the road is as good as anything on the road that is off road capable. And when it breaks the parts are avalable at any auto parts store. When you compair a bronco against a comperable Jeep. Jeeps have no room inside requiring everthing to be hung off the outside with worse mileage and without the durability. Infact to set Jeeps up for tough off-roading they put Bronco parts on them to make them work.