Better than a Timex
By dawhartontx on
1990 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD
I bought it brand new and drove it in some of the most torturous weather conditions...winter in Alaska, winter in Upstate New York, winter and summer in Utah, and then back to Alaska. Yes, including the Alaska/Canadian Highway in both directions. The water pumps are a problem but other than that I did virtually nothing to it until it had over 250K miles. Still own it but only as a toy and memorabilia now. Hasn't been driven regularly since 2004 but a couple of months ago, I squirted a little starter fluid in the intake and it fired up. Not bad at all considering it had not budged in at least a year at the time.
Favorite Features
Virtually indestructible! Most reliable car I have ever owned bar none! Actually fun to drive and has gone some off road places a full size vehicle would never have been able to go.
Suggested Improvements
Water pump could use some work. I have replaced it 4 times in 18 years. And then, the oil pump screen clogged up at around 230K miles. Forgot about that one almost. Only time in 253000 miles it failed to take me where I wanted to go. I was about 10 miles from home.
By oldcarsrock
on 04/08/13 09:36 AM (PDT)

I have the exact vehicle you have. 205,000 miles and great. Rebuilt tranny is the only major thing. lifters leak though. but lots of fun even with the 2.9.

By stormcrow
on 08/10/12 13:21 PM (PDT)

During the blizzard of 97 a lone Bronco 2 dodged a van and became stuck in the snow. it became apparent that several other vehicles were stuck in the snow banks on either side as well as several more had gotten stuck behind it. The gas was low and it was freezing cold but my father had the wisdom of equipping it with a CB radio. It held on and was down to fumes, the battery exhausted too before we were rescued. It saved us all. Sad that it was finally brought down by a BB to the back windows. the engine of her was transplanted into a new body since that was actually cheaper to do with the 9 year old machine. The new '89 was a year newer and this time had 4 wheel drive. They say the bronco 1s with their bigger body and more power are better, I say don't underestimate these old girls. She never had any problems except for the blown window that was expensive due to a funky wrap design.