Used 1990 Ford Bronco II Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Bronco II model:

Better than a Timex
By dawhartontx

1990 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought it brand new and drove it in some of the most torturous weather conditions...winter in Alaska, winter in Upstate New York, winter and summer in Utah, and then back to Alaska. Yes, including the Alaska/Canadian Highway in both directions. The water pumps are a problem but other than that I did virtually nothing to it until it had over 250K miles. Still own it but only as a toy and memorabilia now. Hasn't been driven regularly since 2004 but a couple of months ago, I squirted a little starter fluid in the intake and it fired up. Not bad at all considering it had not budged in at least a year at the time.

Favorite Features

Virtually indestructible! Most reliable car I have ever owned bar none! Actually fun to drive and has gone some off road places a full size vehicle would never have been able to go.

Suggested Improvements

Water pump could use some work. I have replaced it 4 times in 18 years. And then, the oil pump screen clogged up at around 230K miles. Forgot about that one almost. Only time in 253000 miles it failed to take me where I wanted to go. I was about 10 miles from home.

Good old rig
By Bill

1990 Ford Bronco II Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this for years, having purchased from original owner with 43,000. 23mpg in a 4WD is fine with me. Excellent balance for serious backwoods use. Highway power is low for passing, but fine for rock crawling and bogging or going skiing. This vehicle has been totally reliable and has never let me down in over 160,000 miles (total miles 233k) of some very tough use. No unusual expenses other than regular maintenance. Its not high performance, but a truly useful and practical vehicle. I don't believe any competing vehicle built in 1990 would hold up nearly as well, and it still looks good. I strongly recommend Bronco IIs.

Favorite Features

Reliability; economy; maneuverability; off road traction and power. Low cost replacement parts.

Suggested Improvements

More highway power without sacrificing mileage. Less wind noise.

Proud owner
By Pearle

1990 Ford Bronco II XLT 2dr SUV

My 1st car in the USA, bought new, faithfully served me with very little problems now after 14 yrs & 200,000 genuine miles on the clock,its finally showing some wear and needs extra TLC. What a car!

Great Truck
By lil mike

1990 Ford Bronco II XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been the best vehichle I have owned. It currently has 175,000 miles on it and runs like a top. I hgave never met anything I couldn't pull and all I have done to it is replace the clutch. The only other problem is the push button 4x4 does'nt always engage on the first try. I had a 1990 eddie bauer before and couldn't keep the transmisson in it but my current one is a 5-speed and has been great. I highly recomend this suv. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

all

Suggested Improvements

none

Great
By locomc

1990 Ford Bronco II XLT 2dr SUV 4WD

I've put over 20,000 miles on my B2 since I got it. I've done nothing to it. It just keeps going, and going, and going. It's the Energizer Bunny on wheels. I've heard of reliability problems with the tranny, but mines fine. It's just a bit noisy. The transfer case needed to be stronger as well. I love mine though.

Favorite Features

push button 4x4, large gas tank.

Suggested Improvements

More power. I would have liked at least 150 horse. Better rear springs. And EASIER ACCESS TO SPARK PLUGS!