Used 1997 Ford Aspire Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aspire Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aspire model:

160,500 miles and still running well!
By rolynne

1997 Ford Aspire Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I was looking for a reliable, low-cost, used compact when I found a listing for an Aspire 2-DR automatic. After reading reviews here I went ahead and bought it. I'm pretty satisfied with it, especially the mileage it gets. It does have a lot of interior noise and could use a bit more pick-up on the 0-60 time, but once it gets going it has no problem keeping its speed up.

Great gas mileage, A/C and it's easy to maintain even at twelve years old. Hatchback and fold-down rear seats makes this sub-compact quite roomy for hauling stuff.

I wish it had an interior hatchback release, a rear wiper and automatic steering.

Great Car
By Justinvdw1975

1997 Ford Aspire Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Purchased car a little over 2 years age, had to do some work over that time, but has been a very good car to me. I fully plan to keep this car until it won't run any more. Love this car!!! still get anywhere from 35-40 mpg with 125k miles on it. driven daily back and forth to work every 4 days is about 160 miles, cost about 8bucks which is about 4 gallons now.

What can i say, it's great on gas.

cruise control option would be great for this car.

Misunderstood Vehicle
By K.C. Courier

1997 Ford Aspire Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I am a courier and have used this vehicle for 7 years. Upkeep has been low for a very heavy demand car. Gas mileage is still very close to 40mpg on mainly a city driving route. AC is excellent but has required upkeep. Visibility is excellent with higher clearance. Speed to 70 mph is comfortable but gets rough past that. The Aspire is cheap to purchase and operate. You must maintain this vehicle with proper care - if you do it will take good care of you. Do not allow transmission fluid or engine oil to get low. Front axles are cheap and should be maintained. At 198,000 I have not had to do any major engine work. This little car still hums and with the 5 speed my acceleration is fine.

Excellent driver visibility. 40 mpg - yes really. Comfortable sturdy and supportive seats - I am over 250 lbs. Tough build. Powerful AC. Great in snow but you must keep the 165x70x13 tire on it as it was meant to be. Strong Mazda engine. Very affordable.

None really. If you changed the low safety rating you would add weight and lose the phenomenal gas mileage. The Aspire is exactly what it was designed to be - a very affordable, sturdy, practical little car that gets 40 mpg in town and even higher on the highway. No need to change that!

used Ford Aspire
By arlene

1997 Ford Aspire Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used, paid $500 for it - put $800 into it for repairs, well worth it. I drive it in central Florida were it belongs (no hills). My only fault I find is the fuel tank only holds 10 gallons and I have to stop every four days to fill it up. If we have to get out of our area, we would never reach the next state without stopping twice for gas.

Take off from red lights is great but pass 60mph and you need the wind behind you to go much faster.

Reliable vehicle
By Michael Kraus

1997 Ford Aspire Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've had good reliability. Plus I get 43 mpg!

Gas mileage. A little sluggish, but you take the good with the bad in this type of vehicle. It's really a great commuter car.