1997 Ford Aspire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aspire model:
Reliable vehicle
By Michael Kraus on 06/14/05 21:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I've had good reliability. Plus I get 43 mpg!

Has sides like butter
By Tia Chang on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

The transmission on my car went at 50,000, and the dealer wouldn't replace it. One person ran into it (just with his body, not a car) and left a big dent in the side. The air conditioning went out at 75,000 miles. The salt on the roads has eroded the muffler and loosened the catalytic converter cap, no matter how often I get it replaced. On the plus side, it gets great gas mileage, and you can fit a surprising amount into it. Also can park it in very tight spots.

Cheap car , cheap car, cheap car.
By faceplanter on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

If you just want to get from point A to B with no frills, this is it. Loud on the free way, really loud in the rain. Headlight/park lights quit working at 90k miles due to corroded wires. Main seal went at 100k on passenger side causing passenger side brake rotor to warp. Back of car covered in soot. Engine is a 1.3 litre 4 cylinder thats weak. If mine had A/C, doubt the engine could turn it. The plus? Easy on the gas and can go forever on tires.

Zippy little thing
By Fadashio on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. It is fun to drive, especially when it is stick, like mine. Great 1st car!

106,000 and goin' strong!
By Skippy's Driver on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

This car has been extremely reliable for my 250 mile weekly commute. Yes, it's the most gutless car I've ever owned but having the manual transmision helps. Fun to drive (for it's class), holds the road suprising well driving through water on the highway. Have been rear ended twice with marginal damage. I get 31-38 mpg. Wish there were more comparable models available as I'm getting up in mileage.

Fun Car
By Bessie on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I got this car when I moved from PA to NC. One of my gripes, no air conditioning. It has been very reliable getting me around town and on road trips. It's been from PA to FLA and from NC to PA many, many times. I have 69,000 miles on her now, and we've only been to the dealership for oil changes and fender bender fixes. I have been sandwiched between two cars in a nasty accident two years ago, and my car is still going strong. It would be nice to make it up an incline at a decent pace, but it just allows me to enjoy the scenery a little more. Overall, great car. I'm going to miss it when I buy new. Especially the gas mileage.

The Durable Starter Car
By Vegete on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

For someone looking for something to get you here and there, this would be a decent pick, expecially if you're young. The gas milage is incredible, and you don't have to worry about knocking it around a bit (handled 2 rear end collisions). It's definetly not a car you want to be driving if you're in a hurry (not even 70hp!). Passing on the highway can be a hassle unless you're already going at a much higher speed than the person in front of you (for this reason, I suggest a manual transmission). Overall, it's decent.

i like my car alright
By Amanda Tillotson on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I got my car when i was 16 its been an awesome first car to learn how to drive and plus its a stick shift so i got to learn how to dfo two things at once

Looks can be deceiving!
By jstar on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I bought my ford aspire a little over a year ago with the intention of it lasting a few years. boy was I wrong!!! The car looked great appearance wise, but after two weeks of driving it everything started to go wrong!!! It stalls when I stop at a stop light, it stalls trying to go up hills at too slow a speed... it's a nightmare to drive!! on the upside... when i moved into my apartment i fit almost all of by boxes into it!!!

My Nice Comfy Car
By Djohan Budhirahardja on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 4dr Hatchback

I think my car is a very nice little car,I never experienced any problems with this car. I am a delivery man, that is why I like small sedan.