1997 Ford Aspire Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aspire - Consumer Reviews

1997 Aspire Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aspire model:

Sort Reviews by

My Prim is growing up!
By kkandprim

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I received my '97 Aspire about six months ago as a gift from my fantastic grandparents, and immediately named her Primrose. Prim had 38,000 miles when I got her, and the previous owner kept detailed records of all maintanence. She's been a fantastic little car with amazing gas milage and small, inexpensive repairs. I certainly plan to keep her for as long as she'll hold up to my busy lifestyle!

Favorite Features

I love how simple this car is. I've had some recent issues (speed sensor, loose belts, etc.), but nothing too complex or too expensive. Her gas tank is small, only 10 gallons, but I get amazing gas mileage (average 27 mpg) and spend very little money on gas. I don't have a car payment, and my insurance is nearly nonexistant, so there's nothing a whole lot better!

Suggested Improvements

More than anything, I wish she had more power. My better half (debateable) has an '04 Subaru STI that puts me in my seat. I'm often reminded how slow my car is when I'm put between large vehicles and don't feel safe. I've seen forums where people add power to the car, but considering how tiny she is, I don't see me doing that anytime soon...

The Most Dependable Car Ever
By fic

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car in 2001 and it's been going strong ever since. I'm only giving it up now due to a check engine light that won't go off (so it won't pass smog). It's been bashed up on all four sides, had the axles replaced, a new clutch at some point, and driven almost 200,000 miles. (And the speedometer recently fell off and now makes a horrible noise!) AND, I've been very negligent about maintenance. I will genuinely, truly miss my car, "Casper."

Favorite Features

My favorite features is that it's the easiest thing in the world to drive. I've driven a lot of cars and this one rocks. The only thing missing is nerve endings on the tires. It's totally manual; you know exactly what's going on and have a lot of control.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder over the phone charger is a bit inconvenient. Can't use both at the same time.

Ok first car
By Tyler

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I bought my ford aspire last December as my first car. I paid Five hundred dollars for it. Since than i have put at least eight hundred dollars in repairs into the darn thing. From Bad motor mounts to tires, I've replaced it. I don't blame the car itself because the previous owners never even changed the oil in the car. It took four oil changes to finally get it cleaned out! I have to tell you for what this car been through I'm surprised it still goes, the engine is good condition just everything around it is what's wrong. If I'm gentle with the throttle i will get 35 mpg city and 35 mpg highway it has the 3 speed automatic. The transmission requires you to floor it to shift down.

Favorite Features

The heater seems to work good now that i replaced the thermostat. It drives straight down the road even at highway speeds with little correction. The hatchback is very useful i can fit my mountain bike in the back and hall it around. By the way it has 116,000 Miles on it.

Suggested Improvements

This car screams for a four speed automatic. A.C. Takes a lot of the car power at city speeds. Wind noise at highway speeds could be less just by adding extra insulation around the windows. I think the 2011 Ford Fiesta is a very good replacement car for the aspire.

This Is An Unbelievable Car!!
By Jeff Tranchina

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Put 70,000 miles on her in 5 years. Now sits at 145,000. This car is just unbelievable! 38-42 mpg CONSTANTLY. We live on the Big Island of Hawaii, where climate conditions, especially rain and humidity are severe. The car never misses a beat. Normal maintenance like alternator, tires, battery, etc. The 5-speed is crisp and quick. No electrical problems, ever, due to the simplicity. Ours was made by KIA. We can't kill this car, nor do we want to. Going to keep her until she dies! A/C never lets us down. Engine perfect, and burns NO oil (I change oil every 3,000 miles). Geckos live in the car (can't keep them out), as do other creatures, but the car is friendly to all. Highly recommended!

Favorite Features

Ice cold A/C that never needs attention; most comfortable seats I've ever been on (I'm 250 pounds) and I've had expensive Euro cars; turn-key reliability, always! Strong powertrain (5-speed); The hatchback allows carrying of large loads of work materials, like 12-foot lumber hanging out of rear! Wow!!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had the power steering option; Alternator belt requires adjustment every 2000 miles (Hawaiian climate?). Pushing it here, but how about a more comfortable rear seat? Headlights have fogged-over, and could be made of a material that kept clear (I have to take a buffing agent to them often.).

I go far in my ford aspire!
By Levantera

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I lived in ks, ar, and now ia. I make frquent trips back and forth to those places. It costs me $35 to get to Ar from Ia.This car has amazing gas milage. I have put over ten thousand miles on mine in the last 4 months and it only has 85k on it as of now. My dad got it for him self and then upgraded to a 2007 crown vic. So he gave it to me he payed $900 cach for the aspire. Bad things about this car: My trim around the wind shield is coming off. The to trim that seals the car comes off. And its sorta fast but not really. i think its acceleration is descent for a ford aspire (mainly cause its a stick) So yeah its a great starter car good for long trips on gas not comfort.

Favorite Features

Gas, Stick, I like the front of the car alot and the fact mine is white.

Suggested Improvements

more comfort, and better trim and little things like that. some stufff on the car is cheesy made. but its a good car.

160,500 miles and still running well!
By rolynne

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I was looking for a reliable, low-cost, used compact when I found a listing for an Aspire 2-DR automatic. After reading reviews here I went ahead and bought it. I'm pretty satisfied with it, especially the mileage it gets. It does have a lot of interior noise and could use a bit more pick-up on the 0-60 time, but once it gets going it has no problem keeping its speed up.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, A/C and it's easy to maintain even at twelve years old. Hatchback and fold-down rear seats makes this sub-compact quite roomy for hauling stuff.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had an interior hatchback release, a rear wiper and automatic steering.

Great Car
By Justinvdw1975

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Purchased car a little over 2 years age, had to do some work over that time, but has been a very good car to me. I fully plan to keep this car until it won't run any more. Love this car!!! still get anywhere from 35-40 mpg with 125k miles on it. driven daily back and forth to work every 4 days is about 160 miles, cost about 8bucks which is about 4 gallons now.

Favorite Features

What can i say, it's great on gas.

Suggested Improvements

cruise control option would be great for this car.

Misunderstood Vehicle
By K.C. Courier

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I am a courier and have used this vehicle for 7 years. Upkeep has been low for a very heavy demand car. Gas mileage is still very close to 40mpg on mainly a city driving route. AC is excellent but has required upkeep. Visibility is excellent with higher clearance. Speed to 70 mph is comfortable but gets rough past that. The Aspire is cheap to purchase and operate. You must maintain this vehicle with proper care - if you do it will take good care of you. Do not allow transmission fluid or engine oil to get low. Front axles are cheap and should be maintained. At 198,000 I have not had to do any major engine work. This little car still hums and with the 5 speed my acceleration is fine.

Favorite Features

Excellent driver visibility. 40 mpg - yes really. Comfortable sturdy and supportive seats - I am over 250 lbs. Tough build. Powerful AC. Great in snow but you must keep the 165x70x13 tire on it as it was meant to be. Strong Mazda engine. Very affordable.

Suggested Improvements

None really. If you changed the low safety rating you would add weight and lose the phenomenal gas mileage. The Aspire is exactly what it was designed to be - a very affordable, sturdy, practical little car that gets 40 mpg in town and even higher on the highway. No need to change that!

used Ford Aspire
By arlene

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used, paid $500 for it - put $800 into it for repairs, well worth it. I drive it in central Florida were it belongs (no hills). My only fault I find is the fuel tank only holds 10 gallons and I have to stop every four days to fill it up. If we have to get out of our area, we would never reach the next state without stopping twice for gas.

Favorite Features

Take off from red lights is great but pass 60mph and you need the wind behind you to go much faster.

Reliable vehicle
By Michael Kraus

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I've had good reliability. Plus I get 43 mpg!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. A little sluggish, but you take the good with the bad in this type of vehicle. It's really a great commuter car.