1997 Ford Aspire - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aspire model:
My Prim is growing up!
By kkandprim on 07/10/12 15:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I received my '97 Aspire about six months ago as a gift from my fantastic grandparents, and immediately named her Primrose. Prim had 38,000 miles when I got her, and the previous owner kept detailed records of all maintanence. She's been a fantastic little car with amazing gas milage and small, inexpensive repairs. I certainly plan to keep her for as long as she'll hold up to my busy lifestyle!

The Most Dependable Car Ever
By fic on 01/30/12 10:38 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car in 2001 and it's been going strong ever since. I'm only giving it up now due to a check engine light that won't go off (so it won't pass smog). It's been bashed up on all four sides, had the axles replaced, a new clutch at some point, and driven almost 200,000 miles. (And the speedometer recently fell off and now makes a horrible noise!) AND, I've been very negligent about maintenance. I will genuinely, truly miss my car, "Casper."

Ok first car
By Tyler on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I bought my ford aspire last December as my first car. I paid Five hundred dollars for it. Since than i have put at least eight hundred dollars in repairs into the darn thing. From Bad motor mounts to tires, I've replaced it. I don't blame the car itself because the previous owners never even changed the oil in the car. It took four oil changes to finally get it cleaned out! I have to tell you for what this car been through I'm surprised it still goes, the engine is good condition just everything around it is what's wrong. If I'm gentle with the throttle i will get 35 mpg city and 35 mpg highway it has the 3 speed automatic. The transmission requires you to floor it to shift down.

This Is An Unbelievable Car!!
By Jeff Tranchina on 03/25/10 19:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Put 70,000 miles on her in 5 years. Now sits at 145,000. This car is just unbelievable! 38-42 mpg CONSTANTLY. We live on the Big Island of Hawaii, where climate conditions, especially rain and humidity are severe. The car never misses a beat. Normal maintenance like alternator, tires, battery, etc. The 5-speed is crisp and quick. No electrical problems, ever, due to the simplicity. Ours was made by KIA. We can't kill this car, nor do we want to. Going to keep her until she dies! A/C never lets us down. Engine perfect, and burns NO oil (I change oil every 3,000 miles). Geckos live in the car (can't keep them out), as do other creatures, but the car is friendly to all. Highly recommended!

I go far in my ford aspire!
By Levantera on 09/25/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I lived in ks, ar, and now ia. I make frquent trips back and forth to those places. It costs me $35 to get to Ar from Ia.This car has amazing gas milage. I have put over ten thousand miles on mine in the last 4 months and it only has 85k on it as of now. My dad got it for him self and then upgraded to a 2007 crown vic. So he gave it to me he payed $900 cach for the aspire. Bad things about this car: My trim around the wind shield is coming off. The to trim that seals the car comes off. And its sorta fast but not really. i think its acceleration is descent for a ford aspire (mainly cause its a stick) So yeah its a great starter car good for long trips on gas not comfort.

160,500 miles and still running well!
By rolynne on 08/12/09 17:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I was looking for a reliable, low-cost, used compact when I found a listing for an Aspire 2-DR automatic. After reading reviews here I went ahead and bought it. I'm pretty satisfied with it, especially the mileage it gets. It does have a lot of interior noise and could use a bit more pick-up on the 0-60 time, but once it gets going it has no problem keeping its speed up.

Great Car
By Justinvdw1975 on 03/27/09 06:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Purchased car a little over 2 years age, had to do some work over that time, but has been a very good car to me. I fully plan to keep this car until it won't run any more. Love this car!!! still get anywhere from 35-40 mpg with 125k miles on it. driven daily back and forth to work every 4 days is about 160 miles, cost about 8bucks which is about 4 gallons now.

Misunderstood Vehicle
By K.C. Courier on 10/22/06 00:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I am a courier and have used this vehicle for 7 years. Upkeep has been low for a very heavy demand car. Gas mileage is still very close to 40mpg on mainly a city driving route. AC is excellent but has required upkeep. Visibility is excellent with higher clearance. Speed to 70 mph is comfortable but gets rough past that. The Aspire is cheap to purchase and operate. You must maintain this vehicle with proper care - if you do it will take good care of you. Do not allow transmission fluid or engine oil to get low. Front axles are cheap and should be maintained. At 198,000 I have not had to do any major engine work. This little car still hums and with the 5 speed my acceleration is fine.

used Ford Aspire
By arlene on 06/01/06 17:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used, paid $500 for it - put $800 into it for repairs, well worth it. I drive it in central Florida were it belongs (no hills). My only fault I find is the fuel tank only holds 10 gallons and I have to stop every four days to fill it up. If we have to get out of our area, we would never reach the next state without stopping twice for gas.

Reliable vehicle
By Michael Kraus on 06/14/05 21:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I've had good reliability. Plus I get 43 mpg!