Used 1997 Ford Aspire Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aspire - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Aspire

View reviews for a specific Aspire model:

I loved this car for 19 years!
By Dawn Shuler

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 97 Ford Aspire brand new with 25 miles 19 years ago. It now has 87,000 miles. I have loved this car for the most part. The only issue I had was a cracked distributor cap the 1st year I had it and Ford wouldn't pay for it. It cost 900.00. I live in the North so we have horrible winters with salt on the streets. It is starting to rust a little but it always turns over and gets me where I need to go. Great gas mileage! It is bigger inside than it seems from the outside. I have moved several times and it has plenty of room inside. You sit up high in your seat and all the windows are large which is good since I am only 5'4''.I will be sad when I have to buy another car. I wish they still sold them because I would buy another! I have had to have some front end work done because the streets are also full of potholes. But this is about it. If you can still find one, buy it! You wouldn't be disappointed!

My Prim is growing up!
By kkandprim

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I received my '97 Aspire about six months ago as a gift from my fantastic grandparents, and immediately named her Primrose. Prim had 38,000 miles when I got her, and the previous owner kept detailed records of all maintanence. She's been a fantastic little car with amazing gas milage and small, inexpensive repairs. I certainly plan to keep her for as long as she'll hold up to my busy lifestyle!

I love how simple this car is. I've had some recent issues (speed sensor, loose belts, etc.), but nothing too complex or too expensive. Her gas tank is small, only 10 gallons, but I get amazing gas mileage (average 27 mpg) and spend very little money on gas. I don't have a car payment, and my insurance is nearly nonexistant, so there's nothing a whole lot better!

More than anything, I wish she had more power. My better half (debateable) has an '04 Subaru STI that puts me in my seat. I'm often reminded how slow my car is when I'm put between large vehicles and don't feel safe. I've seen forums where people add power to the car, but considering how tiny she is, I don't see me doing that anytime soon...

The Most Dependable Car Ever
By fic

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car in 2001 and it's been going strong ever since. I'm only giving it up now due to a check engine light that won't go off (so it won't pass smog). It's been bashed up on all four sides, had the axles replaced, a new clutch at some point, and driven almost 200,000 miles. (And the speedometer recently fell off and now makes a horrible noise!) AND, I've been very negligent about maintenance. I will genuinely, truly miss my car, "Casper."

My favorite features is that it's the easiest thing in the world to drive. I've driven a lot of cars and this one rocks. The only thing missing is nerve endings on the tires. It's totally manual; you know exactly what's going on and have a lot of control.

The cup holder over the phone charger is a bit inconvenient. Can't use both at the same time.

Ok first car
By Tyler

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

I bought my ford aspire last December as my first car. I paid Five hundred dollars for it. Since than i have put at least eight hundred dollars in repairs into the darn thing. From Bad motor mounts to tires, I've replaced it. I don't blame the car itself because the previous owners never even changed the oil in the car. It took four oil changes to finally get it cleaned out! I have to tell you for what this car been through I'm surprised it still goes, the engine is good condition just everything around it is what's wrong. If I'm gentle with the throttle i will get 35 mpg city and 35 mpg highway it has the 3 speed automatic. The transmission requires you to floor it to shift down.

The heater seems to work good now that i replaced the thermostat. It drives straight down the road even at highway speeds with little correction. The hatchback is very useful i can fit my mountain bike in the back and hall it around. By the way it has 116,000 Miles on it.

This car screams for a four speed automatic. A.C. Takes a lot of the car power at city speeds. Wind noise at highway speeds could be less just by adding extra insulation around the windows. I think the 2011 Ford Fiesta is a very good replacement car for the aspire.

This Is An Unbelievable Car!!
By Jeff Tranchina

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Put 70,000 miles on her in 5 years. Now sits at 145,000. This car is just unbelievable! 38-42 mpg CONSTANTLY. We live on the Big Island of Hawaii, where climate conditions, especially rain and humidity are severe. The car never misses a beat. Normal maintenance like alternator, tires, battery, etc. The 5-speed is crisp and quick. No electrical problems, ever, due to the simplicity. Ours was made by KIA. We can't kill this car, nor do we want to. Going to keep her until she dies! A/C never lets us down. Engine perfect, and burns NO oil (I change oil every 3,000 miles). Geckos live in the car (can't keep them out), as do other creatures, but the car is friendly to all. Highly recommended!

Ice cold A/C that never needs attention; most comfortable seats I've ever been on (I'm 250 pounds) and I've had expensive Euro cars; turn-key reliability, always! Strong powertrain (5-speed); The hatchback allows carrying of large loads of work materials, like 12-foot lumber hanging out of rear! Wow!!

Wish I had the power steering option; Alternator belt requires adjustment every 2000 miles (Hawaiian climate?). Pushing it here, but how about a more comfortable rear seat? Headlights have fogged-over, and could be made of a material that kept clear (I have to take a buffing agent to them often.).