Used 1997 Ford Aerostar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Aerostar

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

BEST I EVER HAD!
By lynne

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan AWD

I was on a disability supplement when i got this used, with 135K and now with a 145K. I love it, will not let it go EVER! Comfortable! Gas miles are not that great on mine. But in snow it is a winner. Too bad not making anymore. They should, I would buy another in a heart beat. The only costly expense so far is the boots and CV joints recently went out, other than this, a marvelous vehicle. Worth all of the $3500.00 I paid for mine.

Favorite Features

Pricing on repairs, great, reliable as all get out and maintenance a dream. Comfortable and great for our Maine snow season.

Suggested Improvements

Well my under body is rotting out, have to get this done. And the CV joints and boots are going or the tie rods, either way, small amount of repairs for the reliability we have had. Maybe have an easier way to administer tranny fluids and some fluids, other than that great vehicle!

Trusty Aerosport
By Lizard

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Ford blew it...Windstar was a joke! Should have kept Aerostar. Cheap to buy (used)/insure/repair. Very good tow vehicle. I owned a '93 prior to this '97...both 4.0 litre, extended, rear wheel drive. My '97 was 1 of last ones ever built (June of '97). Exhaust flex pipes need replacing frequently.

Favorite Features

4.0 litre engine is bullet-proof. New for '97, 5 speed auto is good. Quad captain seats comfortable. Fiberglass hood/hatch/running boards, means no rust. Replacement parts are cheap for DIYers. Front suspension only required new tie rod ends. Roof racks are handy. Stereo is nowhere near my Toyota's.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical items (power windows/locks) work in wet, but intermittent in dry. Fabric wears poorly, esp. driver's seat. Gas mileage sucks (literally!). Larger tires & brakes would be better. Spare tires rusts badly in northern climates. Original all season Michelin were awful in snow (4 snows cured it).

Best van ever owned
By KLS ROAD RESCUE

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

This van is the best van we have ever bought. We have owned other makes and the Ford Aerostar is the only one that has lasted us. I would not change it out for any other many van now made. The Ford Aerostar was the greatest minivan made. Its a shame that they stopped making it and came up with the Ford Windstar then the Freestar, which are garbage.

Favorite Features

We love the way the inside was made as well as the outside design. It is fun to drive. It takes off like a sports car and handles very well. It is great for road trips with the family.

Suggested Improvements

The side window moldings leak. The power steering does not last long before it needs to be changed. Ford should change their paper speakers out for real speakers.

Old Reliable
By GoodGame

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

After 8 years and 142,000 miles, this old van is the most reliable and practical vehicle I have ever owned. It's the kind of truck I want to hold on to if I can just find a mechanic I can trust to nurse it along. Fortunately, I haven't had to do much to it so far other than normal wear and tear issues. If you can find one with low miles get it. Chances are it's got a lot of life in it. My engine still does not burn oil between changes and I get 20+ per gallon on the road.

Solid 97 Aerostar
By 97Aerostar-Dad

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Other than a thermostat replacement, new brakes, and tires, this van has been trouble free for me for over 5 years.

Favorite Features

Size, and 4.0 L powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Build a newer version.