Used 1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Best work horse van ever
By Bob

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

I have over 178,000 miles on ours and it still runs and drives great. Never a problem and the AC both front and back still work like new. We got it used and i have never had to fix anything on it. Used up two sets of tires. This is one amazing van. It just keeps going and going we love it. Best van I have ever had and I have had vans all my life.

Lots of driving power. Great AC system, smooth ride, lots of storage space.

None, it's just right they need to start making more like this.

1997 Aerostar has been good to me
By MrT

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

The Aerostar has been a solid performer for me. I bought new and was worried initially about things like the air conditioning and automatic transmission. Thus far after 11 years neither has caused me problems. The worst problems have been sensor-related. Two sensors replaced at fairly high costs. Also the electrics through the steering wheel have been iffy (intermittently working but generally fine). Brake wear has been reasonable and I've enjoyed owning the vehicle.

Styling, cargo handling, reliability.

Fold-away seats, CD/MP3 player.

Basic and Reliable
By Bill

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Second owner for almost six years now. Great basic van. A/C still works and has original exhaust (except flex pipe) after 10 years and 106000 miles. Just replaced rear springs that broke and four new shocks. Rides so nice now. Outer tie rod ends too. Upper ball joint on the passenger side and thats it. Still see many on the road. Replaced the original battery just a year ago. No rust, runs great.

Reliability and cheap parts if needed. Great space. Rear seats are high so you don't feel like you're sitting on the floor. Nice highway mileage

City mileage is horrific for a 3.0 engine.

My Aerostar
By ed

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

i purchased my Aerostar used. It's been to Cleveland and back about four times. All non stop driving at about 70 mph. Only stopped for gas. The body has dings and scratches but no rust. I love this little van and so the mechanics I take it to one actualy wants to buy it from me. I will never sell it though. It's got its little quirks but what auto doesn't.

Really dont have a favorite feature. I just love the little bugger

Towing package

Build It and They Will Buy!
By MOES

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Third one I have owned. Love it. Lots of room to haul 5 hockey players and their equipment. Great ride, lots of room, no major problems. I have 146,000 miles on mine, does not use oil, gets 19 miles per gallon in town and 22 on the road. I take my 18' lund boat fish all over, no trouble in and out of water. Back seats lay flat for soft camping bed. Does not feel like a mini van more like truck. Took back seatout and hauled sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table and 2 end tables. I have hauled several 4 X 8 sheets of plywood with the hatch closed. I you see one with low mileage let me know!!

Sits up high to see all around.

Build it again and they will buy!