Used 1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Best Car I've ever had!
By mikehs2

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan 3dr Cargo Minivan

It's a Mini Van, but I say car. To bad Ford doesn't have the foresight, or hindsight to keep building these. I guess they last too long, and are just too reliable to be manufactured by an American Car company. Very Efficient, Very Comfortable, and extremely reliable. It's the greatest and most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. Bigger than other mini-vans. It's a car. No, it's a van. Wait it's a truck. It's just a great, great vehicle. No matter what you're planning on buying, check out at least one good condition Aerostar.

Favorite Features

Very economical, reliable and versatile.

Suggested Improvements

Start building it again. Maybe Hyundai could reverse engineer it. They could offer an 8 Year/80,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper, and 15 year/150,000 Power Train Warranty and not lose a wink of sleep at night.

Why don't they build this again?
By PennsyNut

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought new. Excellent mpg/20+ avg for 12 yrs. Lot's of rattles. Huge space. I'm 6'5" and have no problem getting in or out, excellent driving position. A/C's still work fine. Parts are getting harder to find. Great on highway at less than 70. More, like 80, and get excessive wind noise. But for normal driving around town and up to 65 mph or so, is absolutely great. Starts every time. Would buy a new one if it were available.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, front, middle & rear. Good handling. Stable on wet roads, snowy conditions.

Suggested Improvements

After 12 yrs, 146,000 miles, have lot's of rattles. Could they have made it better? Also, bring it back and I'll buy another.

Good Vehicle
By Adrian68

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

My van has been a blessing to me as I am disabled and it was given with an electric lift. The only problem is I think Ford was stingy on the gas pedal and wish I could get closer to the pedals. I would also wish that the seat belts were made for shorter persons. It's a little hard getting into the front seat from the back area where I keep my electric wheelchair especially when I broke my left ankle. The back seat is difficult to take out when we need more room. On the whole I am very happy with the van just wish the lift could have been put in the back rather than the side as parking can be a problem. I give it a high rating.

Favorite Features

I like sitting up high and there is room for one electric wheelchair-two with back seat out. It drives well and is good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas pedal and ability to sit closer if short person. Seat belt that doesn't choke you. Handles for getting into the van on both sides and a way to open the back hatch door from inside. Steering is a little loose now.

People Mover
By bnawrocki

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Sturdy vehicle. Large V6 is a must. Dual A/C is a must on EXT. Very durable. After 130,000 miles steering was tighter than Chevy sedan and Yukon. Comfortably seats 7 Adults. Ext Allows luggage room for our 6 person family and cooler etc.

Favorite Features

4x8s fit on top of rear seats folded down (or removed). Seats come out completely (although very heavy). You can even take out the middle 2 seat bench and replace it with the 3 seat 3rd row bench to leave a huge cargo area!

Suggested Improvements

Rear bench are heavy, maybe add wheels? Ford finally works out almost every bug then stops building the vehicle. Ford could have kept making this model, like this, for 3 or 4 more years, the company would have benefited.

Best Van Made
By Warren

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

This is my second Aerostar, 1st on had 250k. These are perfect if you need something with a lot of room that can go from a work van to a family van. They are extremely reliable. They are not stylish and today's vans have a lot more amenities. I had a Windstar that I had leased and planned to replace the Aerostar with, but the Aero is a much better van. The best part is they are so cheap to purchase. I will keep this van for as long as it will go.

Favorite Features

Tons of space, will hold 4x8 sheets of plywood in the extended van, with the back door closed. Also reliability, you can't kill these vans.

Suggested Improvements

To bring it out again. They have not produced this van in 11 years but you still see a lot of them on the road. There is still a large customer base for this type of vehicle.