Used 1997 Ford Aerostar XLT Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Aerostar

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Good Vehicle
By Adrian68

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

My van has been a blessing to me as I am disabled and it was given with an electric lift. The only problem is I think Ford was stingy on the gas pedal and wish I could get closer to the pedals. I would also wish that the seat belts were made for shorter persons. It's a little hard getting into the front seat from the back area where I keep my electric wheelchair especially when I broke my left ankle. The back seat is difficult to take out when we need more room. On the whole I am very happy with the van just wish the lift could have been put in the back rather than the side as parking can be a problem. I give it a high rating.

I like sitting up high and there is room for one electric wheelchair-two with back seat out. It drives well and is good on gas.

Bigger gas pedal and ability to sit closer if short person. Seat belt that doesn't choke you. Handles for getting into the van on both sides and a way to open the back hatch door from inside. Steering is a little loose now.

1997 Aerostar has been good to me
By MrT

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

The Aerostar has been a solid performer for me. I bought new and was worried initially about things like the air conditioning and automatic transmission. Thus far after 11 years neither has caused me problems. The worst problems have been sensor-related. Two sensors replaced at fairly high costs. Also the electrics through the steering wheel have been iffy (intermittently working but generally fine). Brake wear has been reasonable and I've enjoyed owning the vehicle.

Styling, cargo handling, reliability.

Fold-away seats, CD/MP3 player.

Basic and Reliable
By Bill

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Second owner for almost six years now. Great basic van. A/C still works and has original exhaust (except flex pipe) after 10 years and 106000 miles. Just replaced rear springs that broke and four new shocks. Rides so nice now. Outer tie rod ends too. Upper ball joint on the passenger side and thats it. Still see many on the road. Replaced the original battery just a year ago. No rust, runs great.

Reliability and cheap parts if needed. Great space. Rear seats are high so you don't feel like you're sitting on the floor. Nice highway mileage

City mileage is horrific for a 3.0 engine.

My Aerostar
By ed

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

i purchased my Aerostar used. It's been to Cleveland and back about four times. All non stop driving at about 70 mph. Only stopped for gas. The body has dings and scratches but no rust. I love this little van and so the mechanics I take it to one actualy wants to buy it from me. I will never sell it though. It's got its little quirks but what auto doesn't.

Really dont have a favorite feature. I just love the little bugger

Towing package

Build It and They Will Buy!
By MOES

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Third one I have owned. Love it. Lots of room to haul 5 hockey players and their equipment. Great ride, lots of room, no major problems. I have 146,000 miles on mine, does not use oil, gets 19 miles per gallon in town and 22 on the road. I take my 18' lund boat fish all over, no trouble in and out of water. Back seats lay flat for soft camping bed. Does not feel like a mini van more like truck. Took back seatout and hauled sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table and 2 end tables. I have hauled several 4 X 8 sheets of plywood with the hatch closed. I you see one with low mileage let me know!!

Sits up high to see all around.

Build it again and they will buy!