1997 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:
Good Vehicle
By Adrian68 on 03/29/09 14:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

My van has been a blessing to me as I am disabled and it was given with an electric lift. The only problem is I think Ford was stingy on the gas pedal and wish I could get closer to the pedals. I would also wish that the seat belts were made for shorter persons. It's a little hard getting into the front seat from the back area where I keep my electric wheelchair especially when I broke my left ankle. The back seat is difficult to take out when we need more room. On the whole I am very happy with the van just wish the lift could have been put in the back rather than the side as parking can be a problem. I give it a high rating.

1997 Aerostar has been good to me
By MrT on 06/30/08 13:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

The Aerostar has been a solid performer for me. I bought new and was worried initially about things like the air conditioning and automatic transmission. Thus far after 11 years neither has caused me problems. The worst problems have been sensor-related. Two sensors replaced at fairly high costs. Also the electrics through the steering wheel have been iffy (intermittently working but generally fine). Brake wear has been reasonable and I've enjoyed owning the vehicle.

Basic and Reliable
By Bill on 04/15/08 11:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Second owner for almost six years now. Great basic van. A/C still works and has original exhaust (except flex pipe) after 10 years and 106000 miles. Just replaced rear springs that broke and four new shocks. Rides so nice now. Outer tie rod ends too. Upper ball joint on the passenger side and thats it. Still see many on the road. Replaced the original battery just a year ago. No rust, runs great.

My Aerostar
By ed on 11/29/07 09:44 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

i purchased my Aerostar used. It's been to Cleveland and back about four times. All non stop driving at about 70 mph. Only stopped for gas. The body has dings and scratches but no rust. I love this little van and so the mechanics I take it to one actualy wants to buy it from me. I will never sell it though. It's got its little quirks but what auto doesn't.

Build It and They Will Buy!
By MOES on 04/01/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Third one I have owned. Love it. Lots of room to haul 5 hockey players and their equipment. Great ride, lots of room, no major problems. I have 146,000 miles on mine, does not use oil, gets 19 miles per gallon in town and 22 on the road. I take my 18' lund boat fish all over, no trouble in and out of water. Back seats lay flat for soft camping bed. Does not feel like a mini van more like truck. Took back seatout and hauled sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table and 2 end tables. I have hauled several 4 X 8 sheets of plywood with the hatch closed. I you see one with low mileage let me know!!

Trusty Aerosport
By Lizard on 10/19/06 08:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Ford blew it...Windstar was a joke! Should have kept Aerostar. Cheap to buy (used)/insure/repair. Very good tow vehicle. I owned a '93 prior to this '97...both 4.0 litre, extended, rear wheel drive. My '97 was 1 of last ones ever built (June of '97). Exhaust flex pipes need replacing frequently.

Old Reliable
By GoodGame on 07/23/05 20:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

After 8 years and 142,000 miles, this old van is the most reliable and practical vehicle I have ever owned. It's the kind of truck I want to hold on to if I can just find a mechanic I can trust to nurse it along. Fortunately, I haven't had to do much to it so far other than normal wear and tear issues. If you can find one with low miles get it. Chances are it's got a lot of life in it. My engine still does not burn oil between changes and I get 20+ per gallon on the road.

Arthur the Aerostar
By andys on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

This van is a perfect family truxter! A no frills, no nonsense machine that can take the beating that the kids give it on a daily basis and do it without any break downs or suprises. Sad that Ford stopped making them.

No problems
By Lefty on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. Now have 102,000 mi. No mechanical failures. Just normal maintenance, and even that I've slacked off on. Took the beast on a 4,000 mile road trip with 93,000 on the ticker. Flawless, safe highway driving. Got an amazing 23 mpg on the open road. If you can pick one up with modest miles on it, do it.

aero great value
By dave skinner on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

only real problem i had was with burnt out sensors, evrything else was basic maintenance. i used mine for work approx. 40k year. fuel efficent and very dependable.