1996 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:
I'd Buy 10 if I could
By greg on 12/29/06 15:43 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

We have 2 96 Aeros. One shortie, one cargo. Both are very reliable and run and handle great. No major problems in either one. We use them for our commute and business. Also have an 89 Eddie Bauer, very comfy. The Bauer is so well made and sturdy. A friend has several that are almost at 300K miles, and loves them. We rotate ours, and they all perform well. Will buy another one or two soon. They are inexpensive to buy, and are very reliable. They aren't hot looking (the Bauer is nice, though), but they are a lot of vehicle for the money - and - they are paid for!

Aerostar still going strong
By Aeroman1 on 10/21/06 18:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

This van I consider to be one of the lowest maintenance & highest reliability vehicles that I have owned. I drove it 235000 kms on 1 set of plugs. It starts in temps from +30 to - 30 *c, I have had 9 passengers + full camping equipment & loaded 15 foot fiberglass boat & trailer on a 1000km round trip, the van never missed a beat! The v6 Vulcan engine is incredible, I think it will outlast my next vehicle too ( Ford Escape). It has achieved almost 40 kms/imperial gallon on a highway run. Look after this van & I reckon it will look after you. Smashing vehicle, if I could get a new one I would def buy one.

1996 Aerostar XLT
By Clovis Family on 04/18/05 15:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

We bought the 1996 Aerostar XLT new and have 93,000 miles on it. I love the elevated rear passenger seats, great air conditioning, and space. However, there is no place on the outside of the van to set your coffee cup while you look for your keys. I have also had too many drinks spill in the poorly designed front seat beverage holders. I wish I had waited until 1997 to buy. The last remaining 1997 models sold for $12,500 in Fresno, CA as opposed to the $21,000 I paid for the 1996. For any of you who wonder, you can easily have the inside door panels repaired so they don't begin to partially drop off.

Good people/cargo hauler
By vegman on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought used with 153,000 miles. Have had good luck. Only major repair was a blown intake manifold gasket ($650). have had the typical nickel and dime expenses of American made vehicles. Fuel economy stinks but the 4wheel drive is great and it can haul a ton of stuff and tow over 2 tons without whining. Overall not a bad vehicle. The new minivans on the market have almost as much room and towing capacity with better fuel economy.

At 162,000 miles it is going strong!
By JM Preston on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

This van has traveled the Western US and Canada from Anchorage to the Baja and in weather from -60 F on the Alaska Highway to 111 F in the Utah desert. It has lived in Anchorage, Seattle, and San Jose. Other than a problem with the oil pan gasket leaking twice and Ford standing by their faulty repair ($500) there has only been routine maintenance. Interior storage is excellent and it hauls large and heavy loads. We packed it to the max for the move from Seattle to San Jose and it didn't sag down in the back. Great gas mileage for a truck at 24 - 25 mpg. Paint has held up very well with minimal waxing (every couple of years when I remember).

Better than MINIvans
By vegman on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan AWD

Bought used with 153k miles. Lost intake manifold second day($650). Since then has been a good vehicle, normal wear and tear repairs. Comfortable, very very roomy, terrific in snow. Will miss it when it dies. GM products ASTRO/SAFARI are not as good.

True Blue Red Van
By GGARR on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

The Aerostar van has been extremly reliable. Other than oil changes and tires I did nothing to it for the first 100k miles. It has never left me stranded. Normal wear of brakes, and wipers, and a battery after 100k.

Best for what it is
By sbmackie on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Which is a family hauler par excellence. Can't find a new one that holds as much. Family transpo chief wouldn't go for one of the newer, "prettier" vans...had to be an Aerostar. Got 196K out of our '89 (did a tranny at 165k, but who cares?)and was still tight when we sold it. It is a Ford--when it does break, it is more expensive to fix then GM products. However, it is much more pleasurable to drive then the Safari/Astro (IMHO). Like alot of other Aerostar owners, I wish I could buy a 2003...

wakeboarder
By BradfromGA on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

100K and no major repairs. This car won't be the envy of your neighbors but it can haul a lot reliably.

build to last
By Yvonne on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

We've had this van for 6 years and with 2 small kids it has been to the beach and elsewhere several times a year with no trouble. The only problem we have had is the side door not closing well after 5 yrs. of hard slamming otherwise I have 127K miles on it and hope to get another 70K before I trade it in for another ford hopefully.