Used 1996 Ford Aerostar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Aerostar

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Excellent van
By Tom

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

We are nearing 200000 miles. This van has given us great service. Other than a clock spring, alternator, and a few sensors, this van has performed well. On a long trip fully loaded, traveling at interstate speeds, we averaged near 27 mpg. It has a 4.0 engine, autotrans with overdrive. On highways at 55 mph, we get 29 mpg.

Favorite Features

Room and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders and an adjustable passanger seat.

Problem-free
By Van

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Love it! Have owned for 12 years, and have not experienced even a single problem. 3L engine is a bit wimpy, but willing to give up squeeling tires for good fuel economy. 4-speed auto. transmission is wonderfully smooth. Has never been tuned in 50,000+ miles, but pops right off on first try in sub- zero weather.

Favorite Features

Great visibility. Internal comfort for all passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Too late to suggest improvements; sadly, the vehicle is an orphan.

The Beast
By Dawn Nance.

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan AWD

Owned the 96 XLT AWD EXT for over 5 yrs, miles 136,000. Kids call it the beast in the snow. Seats pop in and out with ease for hauling and sleeping. Great for camping and traveling. 26 mpg on hwy., 21-23 loaded to the MAX, never sags.One major problem with a head replacement at 90,000. Side door does not work properly anymore, had to remove panel for usage. Hauls more firewood, even with the seats in than two loads in a Chevy S-10. Guess who had the last laugh that day. I need a new one now!

Favorite Features

Removable seats, rear a/c, heat, space in rear, the weight it hauls with no complaints, side window sliders a must have, leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Improve slider door function a must. The tail whips in the wind quite a bit. Mileage is good, but today we need all we can get. I would like to release seat belts at set removal without a tool. Make some new models, mine is not going to last forever.

Not so fortunate as others
By Al

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan AWD

Look out for used ones with leaking head gaskets. Typical problem for these. I liked the size and how it ran and even got about 20 mpg on the highway. But the upkeep is too high. Spent $3000 in 30000 miles. And now it is not running at all because of a head gasket which will cost $1000 to fix. And it only has 110000 miles on it. Why can't they make a minivan that is reliable?

Favorite Features

Quad captain seats. Tow 4500 Lbs. Lots and Lots of room. Going to miss that for sure.

Suggested Improvements

Make a minivan that has the reliability of a Toyota Sienna!

200,000 and still going
By Aero lover

1996 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan AWD

This is my second Aerostar, and I've had it for 10 years and 182,000 miles. Counting my first one, I've been driving Aerostars for 18 years. Even though this one now has 200,000 miles, last month I packed the family in it and took a 1,500 mile round trip, much of which was in national forests in northern Wisconsin and the Michigan U.P. where cell phone signals do not exist, so I still trust it. At 165,000 miles, my 4.0 V6 dropped a valve so I had a Jasper re-man installed and have been very happy with it, too. Now that this Aero has 200,000 miles, I sometimes kick myself for selling the first one when it had "only" 110,000 miles. Dang.

Favorite Features

Easy to pack with lots of luggage and people. More like a truck than other mini-vans so a man can drive one and still feel like a man.

Suggested Improvements

Like others have said, Ford should come out with a new model of Aerostar.