Used 1996 Ford Aerostar XLT Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

william2233
By william2233

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

In the years I've owned this van, bought for wife. Went thru two sets of front disk brakes at 31,000 and 62,000 miles. Had too rebuild transmission at 80,000 miles thru Ammco transmissions, then again at Macy's transmission at about 100,000 miles. went out again at 150,000 mile junked it.

Good gas mileage and cruise control, great for long trips.

build better front brakes and transmission

Problem-free
By Van

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Love it! Have owned for 12 years, and have not experienced even a single problem. 3L engine is a bit wimpy, but willing to give up squeeling tires for good fuel economy. 4-speed auto. transmission is wonderfully smooth. Has never been tuned in 50,000+ miles, but pops right off on first try in sub- zero weather.

Great visibility. Internal comfort for all passengers.

Too late to suggest improvements; sadly, the vehicle is an orphan.

I'd Buy 10 if I could
By greg

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

We have 2 96 Aeros. One shortie, one cargo. Both are very reliable and run and handle great. No major problems in either one. We use them for our commute and business. Also have an 89 Eddie Bauer, very comfy. The Bauer is so well made and sturdy. A friend has several that are almost at 300K miles, and loves them. We rotate ours, and they all perform well. Will buy another one or two soon. They are inexpensive to buy, and are very reliable. They aren't hot looking (the Bauer is nice, though), but they are a lot of vehicle for the money - and - they are paid for!

Comfortable seats, great performance, nice ride, handles well, more comfortable than the Astros by far. Windshield is well away from driver and passenger, more legroom.

Easier access to engine, but with this reliability, you don't need it that much. Wish Ford would bring another version of the Aero back out - they need the biz! Door panels, as someone mentioned, tend to get loose, and one is falling off. The Bauer is better made and reinforced.

Aerostar still going strong
By Aeroman1

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

This van I consider to be one of the lowest maintenance & highest reliability vehicles that I have owned. I drove it 235000 kms on 1 set of plugs. It starts in temps from +30 to - 30 *c, I have had 9 passengers + full camping equipment & loaded 15 foot fiberglass boat & trailer on a 1000km round trip, the van never missed a beat! The v6 Vulcan engine is incredible, I think it will outlast my next vehicle too ( Ford Escape). It has achieved almost 40 kms/imperial gallon on a highway run. Look after this van & I reckon it will look after you. Smashing vehicle, if I could get a new one I would def buy one.

Elevated & comfortable ride position. Excellent body styling. Bomb proof motor (V6,3.0L). Strong chassis design for towing & stability.

Front discs/pads wear too quickly. Accessibility of the engine.

At 162,000 miles it is going strong!
By JM Preston

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

This van has traveled the Western US and Canada from Anchorage to the Baja and in weather from -60 F on the Alaska Highway to 111 F in the Utah desert. It has lived in Anchorage, Seattle, and San Jose. Other than a problem with the oil pan gasket leaking twice and Ford standing by their faulty repair ($500) there has only been routine maintenance. Interior storage is excellent and it hauls large and heavy loads. We packed it to the max for the move from Seattle to San Jose and it didn't sag down in the back. Great gas mileage for a truck at 24 - 25 mpg. Paint has held up very well with minimal waxing (every couple of years when I remember).

Ability to haul heavy loads, room for camping gear and mountain bikes, room for two to sleep comfortably in the back with the seats removed. Minimal maintenance.

Front wheel or real 4 wheel drive, bigger tires for more clearance on dirt roads. The new Freestar seems to be taking care of this.