1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

XLT Passenger Minivan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:
william2233
By william2233 on 09/25/09 21:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

In the years I've owned this van, bought for wife. Went thru two sets of front disk brakes at 31,000 and 62,000 miles. Had too rebuild transmission at 80,000 miles thru Ammco transmissions, then again at Macy's transmission at about 100,000 miles. went out again at 150,000 mile junked it.

Problem-free
By Van on 05/20/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Love it! Have owned for 12 years, and have not experienced even a single problem. 3L engine is a bit wimpy, but willing to give up squeeling tires for good fuel economy. 4-speed auto. transmission is wonderfully smooth. Has never been tuned in 50,000+ miles, but pops right off on first try in sub- zero weather.

I'd Buy 10 if I could
By greg on 12/29/06 15:43 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

We have 2 96 Aeros. One shortie, one cargo. Both are very reliable and run and handle great. No major problems in either one. We use them for our commute and business. Also have an 89 Eddie Bauer, very comfy. The Bauer is so well made and sturdy. A friend has several that are almost at 300K miles, and loves them. We rotate ours, and they all perform well. Will buy another one or two soon. They are inexpensive to buy, and are very reliable. They aren't hot looking (the Bauer is nice, though), but they are a lot of vehicle for the money - and - they are paid for!

Aerostar still going strong
By Aeroman1 on 10/21/06 18:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

This van I consider to be one of the lowest maintenance & highest reliability vehicles that I have owned. I drove it 235000 kms on 1 set of plugs. It starts in temps from +30 to - 30 *c, I have had 9 passengers + full camping equipment & loaded 15 foot fiberglass boat & trailer on a 1000km round trip, the van never missed a beat! The v6 Vulcan engine is incredible, I think it will outlast my next vehicle too ( Ford Escape). It has achieved almost 40 kms/imperial gallon on a highway run. Look after this van & I reckon it will look after you. Smashing vehicle, if I could get a new one I would def buy one.

At 162,000 miles it is going strong!
By JM Preston on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

This van has traveled the Western US and Canada from Anchorage to the Baja and in weather from -60 F on the Alaska Highway to 111 F in the Utah desert. It has lived in Anchorage, Seattle, and San Jose. Other than a problem with the oil pan gasket leaking twice and Ford standing by their faulty repair ($500) there has only been routine maintenance. Interior storage is excellent and it hauls large and heavy loads. We packed it to the max for the move from Seattle to San Jose and it didn't sag down in the back. Great gas mileage for a truck at 24 - 25 mpg. Paint has held up very well with minimal waxing (every couple of years when I remember).

True Blue Red Van
By GGARR on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

The Aerostar van has been extremly reliable. Other than oil changes and tires I did nothing to it for the first 100k miles. It has never left me stranded. Normal wear of brakes, and wipers, and a battery after 100k.

Best for what it is
By sbmackie on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Which is a family hauler par excellence. Can't find a new one that holds as much. Family transpo chief wouldn't go for one of the newer, "prettier" vans...had to be an Aerostar. Got 196K out of our '89 (did a tranny at 165k, but who cares?)and was still tight when we sold it. It is a Ford--when it does break, it is more expensive to fix then GM products. However, it is much more pleasurable to drive then the Safari/Astro (IMHO). Like alot of other Aerostar owners, I wish I could buy a 2003...

build to last
By Yvonne on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

We've had this van for 6 years and with 2 small kids it has been to the beach and elsewhere several times a year with no trouble. The only problem we have had is the side door not closing well after 5 yrs. of hard slamming otherwise I have 127K miles on it and hope to get another 70K before I trade it in for another ford hopefully.

Great van, great value and versatility
By Pat Hurley on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

This van continues to impress, doing everything we could ask of it and much more. We haul kids, dogs, home improvement supplies, LOADS of groceries, tons of vacation stuff, and all without a complaint, a whimper, or a problem of any kind. It isn't fancy yet its remarkably comfortable. If you change the oil every 3000 miles and change the other fluids and belts on time, the Aerostar will never die. It has few drawbacks and many, many virtues that vans which cost many thousands more cannot compete.