Used 1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

I love this car!
By mountainwizard

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Well, this is a wonderful blend of comfort and utility. As I am 6' tall I very much appreciate the easy access and abundant headroom. Front driver's seat has a great lumbar support and the a nice view of the road. The rear with the 2nd set of Captain's Chairs has 6.5' behind them making it easy to shop or travel. Front and rear A/C & Heat, Nice stereo. I bought this used with 106K and it is now coming up on 120k. A bit noisy on the road compared to modern cars yet this van with the 4.0 has plenty of power when you need it. Stock tires are good yet it feels much better with a bigger 15/16" wheel and a lower profile tire. A really nice minivan. I expect to be driving it in 10 years.

Very nice for long trips, seats are way comfortable and it rides good for such a big vehicle. Biggest minivan I have ever seen. I enjoy the rear wheel drive for it's ability to tow and it is low cost to maintain. No timing belts, no struts, etc. Much less expensive than others.

Better engine access would have been nice. Better Cup holders I wish they still made a version of the Aerostar, it has been great.

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By Andy

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

The best vehicle I have ever owned. It has been very reliable, comfortable, inexpensive to operate, handy and a very useful vehicle. I'm still driving her after twelve and a half years and she has held up well. When ever my family's vehicles break down or they need a van they barrow the old Aerostar.

Its such a useful vehicle with lots of room for people or anything else you want to haul. It has lots of power and is easy on fuel.

The folding seats are heavy for one person to remove them.

william2233
By william2233

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

In the years I've owned this van, bought for wife. Went thru two sets of front disk brakes at 31,000 and 62,000 miles. Had too rebuild transmission at 80,000 miles thru Ammco transmissions, then again at Macy's transmission at about 100,000 miles. went out again at 150,000 mile junked it.

Good gas mileage and cruise control, great for long trips.

build better front brakes and transmission

Too bad it had to go
By Aerostar fan

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

My second Aerostar. Bought the van with 50k on it and had to turn it in with 160k for the Cash for Clunker program. It had a tiny gasket leak that threw the air mixture off just enough for the Check Engine light to come on. Cost of repair was more than worth of van, even though it still ran like a top. It wouldn't be able to pass emissions test. Very dependable otherwise. Lots of space for vacation loads. Loved the higher driving level for visibility. Air conditioning great. Cup holders at front were worthless. Turning radius was terrible. I'm really going to miss it come vacations and for hauling stuff. Wish they'd make it again.

Great visibility due to driving height. Comfortable seats w lumbar support. Cargo capacity excellent. Decent mileage.

More and better cupholders. Easier engine access.

Big Red
By Steve

1996 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

I have owned "big Red" for almost 13 years, since it was brand new. It is the most dependable vehicle that I have owned.The 4.0 liter engine still runs strong, giving me about 20 mpg on the highway and 16mpg in the city. Besides normal maintenance and its first tune-up last week at 100,000 miles, I have had to only replace two oxygen sensors and a radiator at a total cost of $600. Since my sons have all grown, I only use the van for traveling; trips to Las Vegas, Laughlin, and the Rose Bowl, for football tailgate parties.

The dependable and still working front and rear air conditioning which has never required any servicing. The large amount of cargo space and passenger space. The comfortable front captain's chairs. And since it is built on a truck frame/chassis, the solid truck-like feel.

I wish Ford made the same vehicle today with today's improved technology and safety equipment advances.