I really love this 'Thing'
By guddy on
1993 Ford Aerostar 3dr Cargo Minivan
I bought my 93 with 158,000, I reluctantly gave it to my daughter to drive to Fairbanks, Alaska, laden with her and husband's personal stuff, on the roof and packed into the bay. They slept on top of the whole thing. In short, they put an additional 7,000 mi. on and arrived safely in Fairbanks. I didn't fix the AC compressor.., figured she didn't need it in Alaska. She had to change the oil to match the Alaska environments and she got a warning from a mechanic that they may need some front end ball joints and tie rods(the Alcan had some 'potholes'). Otherwise, I told her to never sell it, I would rather fly up and drive it back to Los Angeles.
Favorite Features
Powerful 6 cyl. Great towning ability. Lots of cargo room. I kept the rear seat in the garage and used the back to sleep with a mattress and bag when camping. Better then a wet and windy tent. It will turn over even on the worse, cold and miserable days and get you where only a horse would go.
Suggested Improvements
Start making them again and update. I'll keep buying them. I'm looking to buy me another AWD. Their out there and I am serious. Better an Aerostar then some of those other pretend workhorses. Won't go near a chevy mini AWD van. I can trust the Aerostar to wake up and get me to where I mean to be.