Used 1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Still Going 20 years later
By 90Aerostar

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Minivan

I love this van. I bought it new, and have driven it since then. It is comfortable and maneuverable, and has suited my needs. It has never failed to please me, in driving, in parking. I can use it for carrying people or lumber, as the back seats are easily removable.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the back door, opening upward, allows me a generous place to put my groceries and purchases.

Suggested Improvements

The only unfortunate thing about the van was that Ford cheaped out on the primer that year, and it really didn't hold the paint on the exterior. This didn't affect its driving ability, but my car wasn't the most attractive one in the lot after the paint washed away in the rain.

What a piece of junk!
By John Kimble

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

I drive this van to school every day and it gets horrific gas mileage. In winter it has gone as far down as a whopping 7 mpg. The rust is unbelievable and the exterior design is quite flawed. The interior is nice however. What this van really needs is a lot more power. It seems like sometimes it did not want to go at all and if you are on any sort of incline at all it won't break 75 no matter how hard you press on the gas. It never heats up either. The traction is terrible. In snow if you just tap the gas the tires will spin like crazy.

Favorite Features

The trip computer was nice addition and lets me know just how bad the gas mileage really is. Stereo is okay too.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better tranny, better traction, rust protection.

I liked it.
By dawn

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Minivan

But, you have to replace the transmission, I've had two Aerostars and had to replace the transmission in both of them, but otherwise, I really liked the van.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions.

A Great Piece of Junk
By RustBucket88

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Minivan

What an indestructible piece of junk! It has 160,000 miles. It has rust through the body, none of the accessories work, the interior is torn up, the paint is peeling and the suspension is shot, but it just keeps going. It needed a new transmisson, but that was due to the previous owner's neglect. We drive it like we hate it. It needs a quart of oil every 500 miles and always needs coolant, but we maintain it and it keeps going. The only other items repaired were a broken brake caliper and door latch. This vehicle is used for dump runs, driving off road and is driven hard on the highway, but it keeps going. The gas mileage is terrible (less than 15 mpg), but it isn't driven economically.

Favorite Features

Indestructibility. This vehice is a garbage truck, off-roader and people-hauler all in one. It looks like a roach but never fails or leaves us stranded. It is also relatively comfortable. Its boxy shape is also good for hauling junk.

Suggested Improvements

Power. 135 hp 3.0V-6 does not move 2+ tons of vehicle very well. It needs full throttle most of the time and sounds like it's going to blow up, but it doesn't. It will, however, maintain 90+ mph on flat stretches of highway quite easily. Traction is poor on wet roads. Tires spin too readily.

No Major problems
By Coke

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought this van used in 1993 with 19,000 km on it. Since then the major repairs have been a starter and an air conditioning compressor, but in the 10 years I have owned it I have spent less than $1000 in repairs. A workmate has a 1998 Chevy Venture and spent $1300 in 1 repair job alone, I'll keep my Ford thankyou.

Favorite Features

4 litre provides ample power & also returns decent mileage(26-29 mpg highway).

Suggested Improvements

The 1 thing that is terrible on this vehicle is the rust, if it weren't for rust this vehicle would easily go another 10 years!