1990 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:
Still Going 20 years later
By 90Aerostar on 08/18/10 13:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

I love this van. I bought it new, and have driven it since then. It is comfortable and maneuverable, and has suited my needs. It has never failed to please me, in driving, in parking. I can use it for carrying people or lumber, as the back seats are easily removable.

What a piece of junk!
By John Kimble on 01/30/06 23:11 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

I drive this van to school every day and it gets horrific gas mileage. In winter it has gone as far down as a whopping 7 mpg. The rust is unbelievable and the exterior design is quite flawed. The interior is nice however. What this van really needs is a lot more power. It seems like sometimes it did not want to go at all and if you are on any sort of incline at all it won't break 75 no matter how hard you press on the gas. It never heats up either. The traction is terrible. In snow if you just tap the gas the tires will spin like crazy.

I liked it.
By dawn on 06/10/05 11:09 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

But, you have to replace the transmission, I've had two Aerostars and had to replace the transmission in both of them, but otherwise, I really liked the van.

A Great Piece of Junk
By RustBucket88 on 01/07/05 16:09 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

What an indestructible piece of junk! It has 160,000 miles. It has rust through the body, none of the accessories work, the interior is torn up, the paint is peeling and the suspension is shot, but it just keeps going. It needed a new transmisson, but that was due to the previous owner's neglect. We drive it like we hate it. It needs a quart of oil every 500 miles and always needs coolant, but we maintain it and it keeps going. The only other items repaired were a broken brake caliper and door latch. This vehicle is used for dump runs, driving off road and is driven hard on the highway, but it keeps going. The gas mileage is terrible (less than 15 mpg), but it isn't driven economically.

No Major problems
By Coke on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought this van used in 1993 with 19,000 km on it. Since then the major repairs have been a starter and an air conditioning compressor, but in the 10 years I have owned it I have spent less than $1000 in repairs. A workmate has a 1998 Chevy Venture and spent $1300 in 1 repair job alone, I'll keep my Ford thankyou.

good long time reliable friend
By alden on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought it new, and there never has been a mini van built since that can actually carry 7 pasangers and thier lugguage. My new car is a Ford Excursion (ie the F250 SUV) and it has less luggage room than the Aerostar.. So sad the mini vans and SUV's these days are not desined to take your gear with you..

Bad Transmissions
By kings on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Aerostar 3dr Minivan

I bought mine from a crooked used dealer (aren't they all?). The radiator fluid was burning out the tail pipe so I put in some stop leak. This may have caused some other problems but a lot of things just fell apart because Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. The A/C stopped working, the heat sucks in the winter. The driver's side power door lock stopped working. I was told I needed to replace the transmission ($1500 Canadian) last year and have been able to drive it still but it revs high for a few minutes before it kicks into 2nd gear every time you turn it on and it won't go into reverse now when it's been driven a lot. The gas mileage is HORRENDOUS.

FIRES IN FORD AEROSTARS!!!!!!!!!!!
By Randall Selby on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Aerostar 3dr Ext Minivan

My sister had a Ford Aerostar and it caught FIRE.Followed by that the transmission BLEW UP, AND THE AC WENT OUT. I would never recommend this van to anyone. It doesn't compare to any of the Japanese or European vehicles.TALK ABOUT UNSAFE, IF YOU GO TO, www.highwaysafety.com,you can clearly see that the airbag didn't inflate all the way, and the stearing broke off and landed in the dummys lap. This was a 40 mph crash!!!!!