First Fiat
By redgoldkc on
2014 FIAT 500L Lounge 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
This is a great looking small car with a surprising amount of interior room. I love the emerald green color that I selected. It is recommended to use premium gas and the engine does seem to run smoother and more responsive with premium gas. I am not sold on this "automated manual" transmission. It feels somewhat unstable and it is difficult to shift from park to reverse when parked on hill with the front of the car higher than the rear. The gas mileage is subpar for a small front wheel drive car. I have averaged 25mpg in primarily city driving. Overall, this car has it perks and drawbacks. As for competitors: Soul and Juke were too much of a kid car. Encore cramped and Mini CM pricey
Favorite Features
The U-Connect system is awesome and surprisingly easy to use. The exterior design has to be the best part of the car. I was also sold on the headroom and overall interior room. I felt cramped in the Juke and Encore. I like the interior in design in the trekking except for all the cheap hard plastic. It is overall a hoot to drive other than initially getting up to speed. Plenty of power once you get moving. It comes with a pretty good warranty.
Suggested Improvements
There is far too much cheap plastic in the interior. The inside of the doors is almost entirely cheap hard plastic. The problem with that is the Beats audio causes the plastic to vibrate, causing an annoying buzzing noise. Thus you have to basically turn the bass all the way down which defeats the purpose of having the upgraded audio system. A small spare tire should be standard. I don't want to be on I-70 with a flat praying that the repair kit will work. The automated transmissions seems somewhat clunky at times so I worry how it will hold up over time. Would be great if a future all wheel drive was available like the Mini Countryman, Nissan Juke, and Buick Encore.