2014 FIAT 500L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 FIAT 500L Wagon

View reviews for a specific 500L model:

Another Fiat
By Mark Rivera

2014 FIAT 500L Wagon Easy 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Just upgraded my 500(Manual) after 53000 miles with only two issues - one was one headlight stopped working and Fiat replaced both, also, a problem caused by my cigarette lighter phone charger(blowing fuses). I needed more space, so, decided to upgrade to 500L(Manual) - Rosso Perla with White Roof. I am mid age person with plenty of experience as a car enthusiast. I do not buy European cars with automatic trannys, PERIOD!(bad experiences). Going to 200 miles so far and I am very happy at the least on how this puppy feels. Still have to get used to first gear(it sure is weird). MPG so far is around 29. Will post again in a few months again with more evaluation after break in period.

Favorite Features

Getting IN and OUT and VISIBILITY !!!

Suggested Improvements

Brake handle location.

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN
By angelito1

2014 FIAT 500L Wagon Trekking 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have had this car for a couple of months And totally love it. Let me start by saying that it is true the first gear in the manual transmission takes a little getting use to. And no it doesn't takes off Or drive like a rocket..... But I love the styling because there is nothing like it. It is reliable, super confortable And awesome on gas. You want a testament to this.... With barely 2500 miles on it I took it on a loong road trip from WA state to Fairbanks Alaska. It drove up and down the mountain roads like it is what it was made to do. By the way I was fully loaded with suitcases, duffle bags with clothes and theblike... Average 34 MPG. Again best car ever.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling. GPS and Beats audio system. Exemptional space and fuel efficiency.

Great fun, jury still out on reliability
By Seema Sonnad

2014 FIAT 500L Wagon Pop 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had the car for 9.5 months now. I love the style, the roominess, the visibility and how much fun it is to drive. It took a bit to get used to the transmission (manual, a little odd in first gear), but now it is great. It did have a recall to repair a computer issue causing the battery to die when parked in the cold for more than 48 hours with no start, but hopefully that is resolved. Some minor electrical things are a little quirky, but no big deal. I had my VW golf prior to this for 15 years with no major issues (it had early recalls for an oxygen sensor chip so was not perfect), so reliability is my only real concern with the Fiat.

Favorite Features

Visibility and space

Suggested Improvements

better electrical system. Gear ratios that make sense for US highway speed limits.

Best Value in this segment by far
By sparkin5280

2014 FIAT 500L Wagon Easy 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Like someone else said, this is one of the most underrated small cars on the market today. It's well documented that Americans don't like wagons or minivans for that matter. Well apparently neither do most auto journalists because this car is lambasted in every pupublication. Just go drive one for yourself, these are TONS of fun. In Colorado here at this elevation Turbos and their forced induction rule the land. Maybe in Texas at sea level this car seems pokey, but in this thin air this 1.4 direct inject turbo runs hard and is a blast to drive. I upgraded from a Mini Clubman and LOVE the fact I can fit 3 car seats wide. To be fair I have the 6 speed manual so no automatic problems here.

Favorite Features

The smooth shifting 6 speed manual. 1.4 turbo that is very willing. Huge interior for a car this small. Bluetooth, Nav, backup camera. Value. These cars are CHEAP now that theyve got a bad rap. From what Ive heard avoid the automatic and youll be fine or wait for the 2015 and its conventional automatic tranny. New 2014 ones are deeply discounted and I just bought a used 2014 in Jan of 2015 with only 3k miles for $12,500! You cant beat that value with any other car on the market!! Heck I love it when Consumer reports blasts a perfectly good car. Just makes them that much cheaper to buy!! Give this car a chance if you can drive a stick. You wont regret it!!!

Suggested Improvements

I do hate to see Fiat get such a bad rep. Even though I have the stick shift it would be nice to see the 500l have less problems especially with the auto. Mine had the cold start problems but was correctly diagnosed by the dealer to be a weak battery from the factory. The service advisor said that many of these 500 L came here with bad batteries possibly due to sitting in the shipping yard for a few months. With a fresh battery it has given me zero problems starting on some of these cold Colorado mornings.

Best Decision I Ever Made
By basso1

2014 FIAT 500L Wagon Lounge 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I absolutely love this car. The interior space is incredible for a car this size! It's fun to drive, fine on the highway and very well equipped. I went from a Volvo XC90 to this seeking better gas mileage and got it, averaging about 28 mpg combined city/hwy. I read up on the dual auto clutch from the information Fiat provided and have no complaints. A well equipped car that is reliable and performs. I also purchased the lifetime extended warranty for $2,500 although I read you could get it as low as $2,295.