Used 2014 FIAT 500L Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 FIAT 500L - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500L model:

Biggest mistake EVER. Nothing but headaches
By L. Kozloff

2014 FIAT 500L Easy 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

DON"T buy Fiat if you want a quality automobile, if you are looking for cute and disposable then your in the right place, but if you like a return on your investment or a car that is safe and reliable or a company that cares about quality and helps their customers .. over 8 months of dealing with their Customer Service call center, multiple weeks of car being in for service. The car loses power when accelerating leaving the driver with no ability to move the car out of busy intersections, or the ability to go at all from stops. Random occurrences so problem is hard to replicate, have had the service engine light come on - even have pictures of it on - still to be told that the computer never shows or records a problem so there fore they can do nothing. I have called and open a "case" with FCA and all I am told again and again is sorry until I can show and have a service tech with me when it happens they can't do anything. I guess my word isn't enough, all the other online complaints I have found of others having the same issue mean anything. I am told it must just be an isolated incident. I figure until they are forced, sued or have someones death on their hands from an accident the issue will never be addressed. Don't buy FIAT !
To be safe avoid any and all FIAT/Chrysler products!!

'DON'T Buy ONE, Mayor REGRET!'
By Frank

2014 FIAT 500L Easy 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

use it was cute, looked fun. I regret the day I did that, I've never had a vehicle with so much issues. lights go off frequently. Breaks inconsistent, lastly panel board goes crazy, with engine light, and others go off I call the dealership to take it in, I setup an appointment to have it diagnosed, they keep it for a week to advise me that the transmission is gone at 70,000 miles. I challenged that since I drove it there. I had researched recalls on this model, and was told that all the recalls where completed, I asked where and when and was told that the place it was originally done is no longer in business, sketchy with Fiat INC. they avoided me with follow up which made it even more frustrating. I highly recommend YOU to stay away from looking at this disaster of a car, the so called Corporate side of them is in complete denial, I'm now stuck with a car, that I serviced & maintained when due, to have this extra expense of a new trans that they priced at $5,400 to repair, is disheartening!!!

Over 20K on a 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking
By Scott in DFW

2014 FIAT 500L Trekking 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

It's a shame this car has gotten such bad press. I know some have had bad experiences, but I've read about others who have had wonderful experiences with this car. You can almost park this car almost anywhere -- I believe it's length is a few inches shorter than a Toyota Corolla -- yet it has such room inside for passengers and cargo. It's not a sports car, but it handles well enough and rides comfortably on all but the roughest or bumpiest roads. As of this writing, I have had no issues at all; just normal maintenance. The bad press has probably affected sales, so look carefully for a good deal if you're shopping for one.

great little/big car
By Joseph Fiamoncini

2014 FIAT 500L Trekking 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Easy to park due to small size yet very roomy inside, peppy engine when paired with the manual transmission, good cargo space, fold down rear seats are not flat unless you use the cover from the storage area in the raised slot to better align the floor of the storage area with the folded seats, stadium style rear seats so that you can easily converse with rear passengers and they can see the road and front seat rider, handles well in corners, can be choppy on poor road surfaces, generally get 28-30 MPG on mixed city/highway driving, both I and my wife own 500L trekkings which together have a combined mileage of 59,000 miles, so far no breakdowns at all and only one recall for airbags, we also opted for the lifetime warranties on both cars, it does have some features that may have led early buyers to think it has gremlins, when making turns the fog light on that side turns on which is great in the dark on sharp turns as it lights up the shoulder of the road for you, when we first bought the car we thought that was a electrical problem but it turns put the dealer had only just learned that it was a feature (which can be disabled from the touch screen controls), the dealer had actually been replacing units in an effort to fix what was not a problem, the GPS needs updated maps which we were told was due to the maps themselves that were being supplied for the system this is not really a major problem for the vast majority of the time the maps have been dead on, the biggest problem has been the owners manual itself, the index was compiled for a different manual entirely as the referenced page numbers don't actually take you to the information that you are trying to look up, also the information in the manual is very weak in useful content, the brakes can be grabby and take experience with the vehicle to learn how to modulate them (they still catch me off guard once in a while) but when needed they seem to stop the car quickly and in a relatively short distance, the air conditioning works well but does affect the gas mileage, the car did get good IIHS crash ratings which was a factor in our decision to purchase them, all in all a competent and reliable vehicle thus far, my other car is a 2007 mazdaspeed 3 so I know about and use quick cars that can handle and brake well

Bad experience
By Amaury Esterellas

2014 FIAT 500L Pop 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)