2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

500 Turbo - anti-Yaris, anti-Fit, anti-boring.
By Kirsten

2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback Turbo 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 500 turbo - slotting in between the non-turbo models on the low-end, and more powerful turbo Abarth model on the high end, is definitely a bit of a "goldilocks" fit for people interested in commuting. This is my second FIAT purchased new, and I'm generally pretty pleased with the car. My one modification is the exhaust system like that of the Abarth - a loud, open exhaust. This car will turn heads because of the sound - in a good way (it doesn't sound like a fart-can Civic from Fast and the Furious, but more like the sensational Alfa Romeo 4C). In any case, this car is a competent handler once you get used to the high-riding seats. It's easy to drive in stop-and-go traffic with simple hydraulic clutch that has nice progressive engagement, and a snappy five-speed stick with fairly close ratios. If you're nice, this is a car easily capable of beating it's EPA ratings, especially on the freeway, where I've seen averages approach 45mpg. And even if you're naughty, you're still going to struggle to do worse than 25mpg city which is great fuel economy for a turbocharged car with a close-ratio gearbox being driven inefficiently. With the seats folded you're going to be able to carry plenty of groceries, and even with them up, you can fit luggage for two on a weekend getaway. Yes, the newer Fiats can stream audio over bluetooth and have infotainment stuff, but that's not the point of this car. What this thing is is simple: it's the cheapest performance-oriented turbo car for sale in the US, and it's a real driver's car. Your money is buying not just the 240,000rpm turbo which pushes 15-18psi of boost, but you're getting a forged crankshaft and pistons, with oil sprayers to keep those pistons cool. You get twin intercoolers, an upgraded transmission, and the most notable thing - upgraded brakes (bigger rotors, performance pads). The brakes are among the grabbiest and firmest you'll find in anything for sale for less than $40,000. They are probably the best brakes, period, on a car that stickers for < $20k. All of this makes for a compelling little car that wants you to be happy and have fun. If you look at a grey Yaris, or silver Fit and think that cars like that are a punishment, this is the car you want. It's a pitbull puppy that wants to tear the face off of your coworker's Fiesta. It wants you to take the backroads and have a laugh. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and reminds you to live life and have fun. Now, a final word about these cars: in the same way that they're not boring Honda or Toyota products in the ways mentioned above, they are very Italian in one other way - they need a little TLC. Mine has had a few little things (power window motor needing adjustment, bluetooth software issues) dealt with under warranty. If you look at other reviews, people seem to lose their cool about this stuff, which is unfortunate because it can happen with any car. Especially if you decide to buy a turbo car (any turbo car, not just a Fiat), be aware that maintenance matters a lot more, as does paying attention to things like fluids. Turbo cars like the Fiat may use a little oil (consume, not leak) between oil changes - it's a good idea to keep an eye on it. The sticky Pirelli tires that come on this car from the factory aren't going to last 50,000 miles like the crappy eco tires on the Yaris. But if you love cars, and are willing to spend a little extra effort and patience loving this one, it's get to to 50,000 smiles, guaranteed.

Get the Turbo if you want a little pep!
By Neal

2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback Turbo 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Cool little car. Perfect for in town and work commutes. I'm married with no kids and our other auto is a mazda CX-5, so storage or backseat space aren't an issue for me because I can take the Mazda when I need it. If the Fiat will be your principle vehicle I suggest giving some consideration to your stuff and people transporting needs, as it's not equipped for much. Having said that though, I'm a big dude who is high waisted (long torso and short legs :( and I fit just fine in the front seat. Also, I recently gave my teenaged niece and her two friends a ride across town and they said it they were fine. I wouldn't plan on stuffing full grown adults back there though.
The 500 offers three power/speed levels: base (101 hp), turbo (135hp) & Abarth (160hp). I tested all three and found the Goldilocks fit with the midlevel turbo. It's speedy but not as noisy or tightly wound suspension-wise as the Abarth. Some days I wish I'd bought the Abarth, but then I quickly remind myself I'm not 25 anymore and can get a speeding ticket almost as easily in the Turbo. It's definitely got pep, and as I understand it, is the same drivetrain as the Abarth, just detuned for 25 fewer hp.
Bluetooth and HVAC systems work well. The Beats stereo system isn't quite as powerful as I expected, but it sounds great and again, I'm not 25 anymore, so extra loud music with extra thumping bass probably isn't good for me anyway :)
As sub-compacts go this thing has plenty of personality. If you're in the sub-compact market, definitely check out the 500.

Everyone needs a fiat
By Ralph

2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I rented one a year or so ago for an 800+ trip. I really liked how it handled and the gas mileage was awesome. So I saved up and bought my own.

My Fiat 500 Pop
By Kristen H

2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Fiat new in 2014. I have had it ever since and it now has 30,200 miles. I have had no problems with the car. It has been wonderful for gas mileage, easy to drive and park.

Great LITTLE Car
By Curtis

2015 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

If you looking for a sports car this is not what you want. The 500 is efficient, easy to park and peppy with the 5-speed. Plenty of room for 2 and I am a big guy. This little car brakes and drives well. It was not built for acceleration so even with a 5-speed is not fast but adequate. My last car of this size was the Ford Fiesta ST which was more cramped had a horrible ride quality although much faster. The car seems to perform better on premium grade fuel. At a 10 gallon capacity on the tank it will not break your wallet to by better gas and performance is much improved. I had a hick up with the blue tooth system in the car after the install of Apple 9.3 on my phone. I just disconnected the battery cable for 10 minutes and the system reset itself. If you want fun and style this is a great car. Space is limited for more than 2 adults and so is storage. If you need a small car for mostly in town use this a great choice and 2015 brought some great improvements to the dash and radio. I average 36-39 MPG all the time as stated this using premium fuel.