Used 2014 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 FIAT 500

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Very fun to drive!
By Brian Vinci

2014 FIAT 500 GQ Edition 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this car for almost 2 year when writing this review.
The good: This car is fun to drive, its eye catching , and people always comments on the sound of the exhaust. If your looking for something fun to drive this is a good catch. The cabrio top is great on non rainy days, really enjoy the air and blasting the beats sound system, which is ample to blast through any wind noise.
The steering and response is there,, it wont disappoint on the steering and grippiness of the road. Once the stock tires wore down i replaced them with Michelen Y rated tires which will last longer.
The stick shift is this car is super easy,, you wont have a problem even if your a novice. And the hill assist is money. If your on a hill and need to go from 1st gear, no need to rev the engine and grind the clutch, the car holds break for you for about 3-4 seconds which is plenty to get going (really nice feature) and if its not your thing, you can turn it off in the settings.
Interior: its a unique design for Fiat so theres not much in the Fiat line to compare it to,, its a nice leather finish to the seats and really compliments the white exterior. I get lots of compliments on the interior design.
Gas milage will vary depending on how you drive it,, if your enjoying that punchy turbo motor,, expect gas milage to suffer,, if your easy on it,, it'll realistically be in the mid to high twenties maybe get into 30s.
Parking assist is money and works as advertised
All the controls are easy to use, reach and understand.

If you want to know some cons:
Might biggest gripe would be the stock radio head unit. Its really cheap garbage. I replaced it with a Kenwood KVT7012BT, which is the best thing you can do. Not only does it allow you to adjust the EQ the fidelity, apps, screen size and capability is just better.
Second gripe would be the headlight power,, i think the illumination is underwhelming.

It really is a nice car I would recommend. I have had zero issue with it mechanically. I had a family of four in it without issue cruising around. And taken sever trips with 2-3 people in it.

Great little car!
By Tomie Gart

2014 FIAT 500 GQ Edition 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is so much fun to drive.

ABSOLUTE WORST Car I Have Ever Owned
By Patrice

2014 FIAT 500 Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2014 Fiat 500 Lounge April 2015 about 1 week after purchase I was going up a hill had stopped at a stop sign, after the stop I accelerated and the car although in drive would not go forward and just drifted back. I had to wait for traffic to go around me and then drift backward down the hill until i drifted backward into a driveway then drifted forward in drive down the hill until the transmission engaged back into drive. Over the next 2 months the transmission failed to engage 3 more times each a under different circumstances and each of those times when the transmission did engage the car lunged forward. Each time this happened there was someone in the car with me and once someone else was driving. I took my car to the dealer and was told they could find no issues. The problem continued so I called Fiat who advised I take it back to the dealer which I did and the dealer advised again no issues and had a tech from Fiat come into look at it and again they found nothing. Fiat said there was nothing they could do. The car is DANGEROUS, I also called Chrysler and got the same results. Neither FIAT or CHRYSLER was of any assistance and offered no solution perhaps replacing with another car or something, anything ..not that I want another but at least an offer to rectify the situation. DO NOT PURCHASE A FIAT car is unsafe and Fiat & Chrysler customer service is the worst I have ever had to deal with.

Used Abarth is a perfect second car - UPDATED
By Wade Morefield

2014 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my Abarth. It's our second car, but we've already taken it on one long road trip. It is a very fun car to drive and feels much faster than it is. I'm surprised how comfortable it is, given all the negative press I've read. For 2 six foot adults, the car is perfectly comfortable. Miles per gallon are better than EPA estimates, but smiles per gallon are off the charts. The touch points in the cabin are very nice, even if there is a lot of hard plastic. No complaints at all. Comfortable, fun, economical, practical and it sounds awesome when you run it up through the gears! But a lightly used one and you won't regret it.

UPDATE - The Abarth continues to impress! I've put about 5,000 miles on it and everything continues to work as it should. Overall fuel mileage remains 30 mpg average in mixed driving. I recently took the Abarth on a nice long road trip up to PA and it was great fun hurtling along the backroads of MD and eastern PA. Third and 4th gears are perfect for that kind of thing. The Abarth is surprisingly comfortable on the Interstate, but I prefer secondary roads if only to allow me to use the gearbox more! Many folks complain about the shifter, but I find that it works just fine. The throws might be a tad on the long side, but engagement is precise and shifts can be very smooth. The leather wrapped Abarth steering wheel and shifter are both a pleasure to use. The 'sport' button on the dashboard provides a noticeable bump in power, but I usually don't bother w/ it. The brakes are VERY good. As noted by some others, the turning diameter is about the same as most mid sized SUVs, which is surprising. Apparently, the Abarth modifications to the front suspension required it. I've adjusted, but it's ironic to drive such a small car and have to plan ahead in some parking situations as if you were driving a truck.

Overall, I consider the Fiat Abarth to be an excellent alternative to a big sport touring bike for those of us who have outgrown (literally and figuratively) motorcycles. Evening blasts through the countryside w/ the windows down, cruising around town listening to the burbling exhaust, running it up through the gears and stints on the interstate are all at least 95% as much fun as I'd have on a motorcycle. The roof, windshield, wipers, HVAC, heated seats, stereo, airbags, luggage space, and relative comfort (for two!) more than make up for the other 5% of lost performance and 'freedom'. And my lightly used Abarth was much cheaper than any of the big sport touring bikes.