Used 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Fiat 500 - Consumer Reviews

Abarth 1.4L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

2013 Abarth manual - highest fun/$
By paul_abarth

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

You have to try it.. you may love or hate it - but it really is a fun car for 'enthusiast' drivers. Great value, provided you don't pay the MSRP (I got mine (with 3 year tire insurance - which I already used once for a repair) for 19K US$ + tax with end of year discounts of 6K.) Was considering other small/light 'fun' cars such as the Mini/Mazda Mx5/BRZ-FRS, but for similar performance/features it would be 10K more, anyway, I just kind of fell in love with it after a test drive. With the 17-inch wheels and P-zero tires this light weight car feels fast and nimble, not always stable on the edge. Provided you keep it in the mid-rev range the torque is strong and turbo lag is not an issue.

Favorite Features

I love the responsiveness and handling, and of course the exhaust sound is fantastic, and surprises many people. I get a lot of questions of the sort - what is that? Did you modify it?.. It is stock - although I added a short-shifter and 'go-pedal' - search online there are a ton of mods you can make for even more performance. No - this is not a super-car, and yes you will get out-run by a Honda V6, but driving this car puts a huge smile on your face and has a special feeling. Reliability seems fine - have done 8K of pretty hard commute driving on it and no issues. An Abarth track day experience was included in the purchase - just brilliant (although I wish we'd had more track time).

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastics are pretty cheap and easy to scratch. The ride can be a bit stiff and bouncy (low profile tires probably not helping), however I think the rear suspension could be improved. Sometimes on the freeway I would like to have a 6th gear and for sure reverse lockout would be safer.. as reverse comes after 5 in the 2013 model at least. Pedals (too close), steering and seating position (high) are not great - I wish it had a telescoping wheel. I'm hoping fiat bring out a coupe based on this platform with no rear seats, move the engine and seats backwards to improve the car's balance and create better leg room/pedal layout not impeded by the front wheel arches, make it RWD.

Do NOT buy this Car!!!!
By ray2172

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have a 2013 Abarth. I will start on a High note and say that it is a Blast to drive, sounds great, and is an amazing small performance car. Now for the bad! I bought mine used with 4100 miles on it for about $10000 less than a brand new one, $27,500 sticker price. This should have been a sign that they don't hold their value at all. I missed having a larger car and wanted to trade it in, they offered $14,000 trade in with 6000 miles on it. Now with 16,700 miles on it I have had a brand new radiator put in it and have an appointment for a speedometer that stopped working today! Do yourself a favor and by a Honda Civic Si,VW GTi or Ford ST! I wish I had taken my own Advise!

Favorite Features

Performance is Great, 160hp, 170lbs, 5 speed stick and Straight exhaust! All out of 1.4ltrs of Displacement is spectacular in my opinion! Beats sound system sounds pretty decent. You also won't find many more around you, I own the only one in my town!

Suggested Improvements

Build Quality is typical Chrysler, poorly built and even poorer Customer service from Fiat, Chrysler! Bluetooth System will drive you to Punching something! The worst Depreciation of a Car than I have EVER OWNED! Any car that loses $10,000-$12,000 in value in the first year is Criminal and Fiat should offer Refunds to owners!

Great niche car...think before you buy
By holmgren

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Up front I'll say that I love this car and it is great for my needs. But this is absolutely a niche vehicle that is lots of fun as a run-about but gives up a lot in utility/flexibility. There is no way I would have bought this as an only car in the household--something like a GTI would make way more sense or a Focus ST if you wanted more edginess. That said, I felt the Abarth had way more character, was more fun, and was more unique for a hot hatch. It feels a more raw and simple than the competition--which I like. It gets me to work every day, puts a smile on my face when I drive it, gets good gas mileage, and for short trips fits a family of three and groceries for a couple of days.

Favorite Features

Exhaust is great fun, meaty and quick turbo engine, good grip, extremely easy to park in those spaces no one else can fit in. I love the pops and backfires when you lift off the throttle quickly or when changing gears. I like the high seating position. I really like the old style analog concentric gauge cluster--I have no problem quickly interpreting the data as some have reported. Looks are great with the gray-tint headlight/tail light option. I like the Abarth stripes--what the heck, might as well with a car like this!

Suggested Improvements

The seats bother my lower back on longer trips. I dropped the money for wet okole seat covers with lumbar support and now they are pretty good. Given that, getting leather seats was a waste and maybe the cloth would have been better on my back. Blue and me interface is pretty low tech and user un-friendly but not a deal breaker. Beats audio is better than stock but still not great. If you get 17" wheels with summer tires you will need dedicated snow tires if you ever touch snow/ice.

Fun unless you want something practical
By erinandlil

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Full disclosure: I bought this car on a whim. My car enthusiast friend fully endorsed my decision, touting it had the "best stock exhaust ever". It's fun to drive in the city, especially under the raised train tracks in Chicago - you can actually hear the car roar. Unfortunately it's so far from practical it's not even funny. Inevitably the fun runs out in a couple of months and you look up trade-in value to see that this car holds absolutely zero value. And good luck explaining to the car dealerships that your Abarth is in fact different than a standard 500. I really wanted to love this car... it just didn't happen. Oh, and I had SILLY repairs two months in.

Favorite Features

Sport Mode - that's it really. And gas mileage (but only if you're not in Sport Mode).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the storage capacity (i.e. actually offer some bit of storage other than the glove compartment), improve the cheap plastic that covers the doors, get rid of the silly arm rests that are not comfortable at all, make connections and gaps in car less obvious (like the door handle), improve the sound system (it sounds like a tin can, even with Beats package), lower price - especially if car depreciates $5-$8K within a couple of months.

In love with my lil Veleno
By juniperjackal

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was considering a Mini or an MX5 around the time the Fiat came back to the US. I purchased a Fiat 500 Sport instead. It was not a complete dog like the regular mini cooper and I loved the extra space that the MX5 did not have. I can go to the grocery store in the Fiat! About 9 months ago I purchased an Abarth. Best idea I ever had. I have a 45 minute commute each way in traffic. The car zips in and out of traffic and I have had no mechanical problems. I have driven many of my friends Mini S, which cost a lot more (I paid $19,000 for new Abarth at year end clearance sale). Abarth drives so much better and the sound is spectacular. The sport button turns the car into a monster. :)

Favorite Features

Beats sound system Handling Sound Looks Not many of them on the road Very quick Just makes you feel special

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would want is a 6 speed manual. But the 2015 model fixed everything I would have suggested, besides the transmission. Excellent that they now have back up cams, auto wifi, etc.