Used 2013 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 FIAT 500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Terrific Car
By Scott W

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have held off on writing my review for a couple of years (so my car is actually a '13) in order to see how it fared over time. I don't think they have made many changes since them to the Abarth. I did not give it a poor rating on things like ride quality and storage simply because the car is great for what it is. The ride quality is very stiff due to the sport suspension, as is the steering. It's what I wanted and what I expected, so it has not disappointed me in these regards. It is also noisy due to the awesome exhaust (which one dealer told me is made by Ferrari). My only "poor" rating is on the visibility. Even looking out the front you have to be vigilant. There just isn't a lot of clarity no matter how you slice it. Two other things I do not like: no Bluetooth connect from phone to audio (unless calling someone) so if you want to listen to Pandora, you have to have cords. This is probably not the case if you get the navigation package. The other thing I do not like: terrible turning radius! Crazy. Feels like driving a boat when trying for a tight turn. These things being said, I thought that when I bought this car I would get tired of it after two months. It's loud, fun, stiff, small, fast, manual. I got it on lease for three years, so it was a gamble. Well, I have not tired of it at all. It has been great. You will get close to 40 mpg on the highway, and I average about 30 in mixed city driving. Also, I fit a Laz-y-Boy in the back! (Only because you can separate the seat from the back with a Laz-y-Boy.) This is not a super fast car, but it FEELS super fast and it is a blast to rocket around. I will say that the turbo lag is a bit much. I hear that it is not so obvious in the automatic transmission. Also, Fiat often offers some great deals. I got this as a lease so had to pay the list price. The same car was on sale for about $4,000 less when purchasing. So leasing may not be the most economical choice. I have noticed that a lot of American reviewers are pretty hard on Fiat. I don't know why. Consumer Reports rates them with awful reliability yet I have not had a single issue. I test drove the VW GTI, and that is a great car, but a whole different animal. The GTI is faster, way more refined in terms of ride quality, but the Abarth feels like it is made for rallycross and wants to chew something up. It is just bursting to go when you put it in sport mode. You can only get a sense of the Abarth by driving it and really pushing the pedal. Again, I'm not sure why it doesn't get amazing reviews, but I am not a car expert. One person described the driving experience as "driving an angry hornet." That is right on. On the highway, it holds very firm. I have driven it fair distances and been very comfortable, but again, it is quite loud. I would seriously consider getting another Abarth when my lease is up in 2016, but the girlfriend is not in favor. She says it makes her dizzy and it is too loud for us to talk on a road trip. Also, the racing seats are not conducive to her reclining to take a snooze while I drive. So....a word to the wise. In a nutshell, if you test drive this car and finish by getting out and telling yourself you feel like you just got out of a cocktail shaker, this may not be the car for you. If, on the other hand, you get out and you find yourself eager for more, then you know you have found your next car. It will not disappoint.

I love my FIat!
By SNewman

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my little yellow Fiat since October 2013 and have 37,000 miles on her, having driven across country twice. Everyone is amazed at the amount of stuff the little car can carry! The only problem I have had, head lights sprung a leak and CDs get stuck in the player. I have wanted one since seeing one in Italy 15 years ago. When my Toyota 4 Runner with 200,000 miles decided to die, I bought my Fiat. A very happy Fiat owner.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By cathi30

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

By FAR the worst car I have ever owned. From the day I drove it off the lot it had nothing but problems. Steering column replaced twice because of thump when i turned the car, struts and strut mounts replaced, starter replaced 3 times, both regulators broke on power windows, same headlight burned out at LEAST a dozen times, wheel bearings replaced twice, jounce bumpers replaced twice and never resolved the issue,broken shock, exhaust kept loosening up,never resolved. The final straw was after only having 11k miles on it the tires needed replacing because of all of the issues ruined them and Fiat did nothing to remedy. Traded the car after 20 months w/11k miles and only got $7500. DO NOT BUY

none, the car was a joke

everything about this car needs improvement. I traded it after 20 months because I was tired of it being in the shop with 11k miles for a Honda Civic. I HATED this car

Love my 2013 Fiat
By ddmarre

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

When i purchased my Fiat new in 2013 i did not know much about this car but saw it online went to get it...i have the guacamole green and i am so happy with its performance. I have had a Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Mitsubishi, and Saturn...but this is the BEST car i have ever purchased. The turbo button for highway driving is awesome. My Fiat is so quick, i always have cars or trucks! Race me...i win at take off! I only have 14k on my car and i have gone to Vegas and Sedona twice...great on gas!

Leather seats, bluetooth,tomtom, and gas mileage

Wish i had a screen for my tomtom

2013 Abarth manual - highest fun/$
By paul_abarth

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

You have to try it.. you may love or hate it - but it really is a fun car for 'enthusiast' drivers. Great value, provided you don't pay the MSRP (I got mine (with 3 year tire insurance - which I already used once for a repair) for 19K US$ + tax with end of year discounts of 6K.) Was considering other small/light 'fun' cars such as the Mini/Mazda Mx5/BRZ-FRS, but for similar performance/features it would be 10K more, anyway, I just kind of fell in love with it after a test drive. With the 17-inch wheels and P-zero tires this light weight car feels fast and nimble, not always stable on the edge. Provided you keep it in the mid-rev range the torque is strong and turbo lag is not an issue.

I love the responsiveness and handling, and of course the exhaust sound is fantastic, and surprises many people. I get a lot of questions of the sort - what is that? Did you modify it?.. It is stock - although I added a short-shifter and 'go-pedal' - search online there are a ton of mods you can make for even more performance. No - this is not a super-car, and yes you will get out-run by a Honda V6, but driving this car puts a huge smile on your face and has a special feeling. Reliability seems fine - have done 8K of pretty hard commute driving on it and no issues. An Abarth track day experience was included in the purchase - just brilliant (although I wish we'd had more track time).

The interior plastics are pretty cheap and easy to scratch. The ride can be a bit stiff and bouncy (low profile tires probably not helping), however I think the rear suspension could be improved. Sometimes on the freeway I would like to have a 6th gear and for sure reverse lockout would be safer.. as reverse comes after 5 in the 2013 model at least. Pedals (too close), steering and seating position (high) are not great - I wish it had a telescoping wheel. I'm hoping fiat bring out a coupe based on this platform with no rear seats, move the engine and seats backwards to improve the car's balance and create better leg room/pedal layout not impeded by the front wheel arches, make it RWD.