Used 2013 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 FIAT 500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

dont do it!
By Tim Humphries

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2013 pop.struts @ 6000,tires replaced @ 6000at my cost (firestone bulges),struts @ 13000,headlights @ 17000,now @ 18000 alt bad,it gos to dealer every other week,got 0% @60 months,its only worth 5000 less than i owe after 2 years,other things have gone wrong,i just didnt list.by far the worst car i have ever owned,the only car ive had that you can feel falling apart .im a old guy,i bought my first new car in 1978.its either the dealer service dept thats bad or bad engineering from the start,no problem with engine or trans,everything else falls apart,dealer thinks im pickey,i bought a fusion shortly after the fiat due to accident with other car,its never been back for factory f ups and now has 35000 mi,i may pay 5000 to get rid of it,dont buy a black pop it may have been my wifes car

Never again
By Sarah Bennet

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Everything is falling apart from the inside out. I have already needed a new clutch, fuel pump, and steering column. Worst car ever. Loved it in the begining....... great on gas and fun to drive. BUT NEVER would i recomend this to ANYONE. Oh yeah i have under 30,000 miles on this. I'm going to feel terible even selling this to someone.

I love my fiat
By John Schmitt

2013 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Fiat in January of 2014 and have put just over 22,000 miles on it. I love the drop top which I can drop going up to 50 mph and my gas mileage is at 40.2-I drive 30% city and 70% road. I live in the upper Great Lakes and this little bulldog is surprisingly good in snow, plus witth heated seats I can drop my top and watch the snow fall inside my cabin!

Piece of crap car!
By leah

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Horrible car!! DO NOT BUY!! i have 22K miles on it and my turbo stopped working, in addition both my windows motors broke. Worst car ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrific Car
By Scott W

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have held off on writing my review for a couple of years (so my car is actually a '13) in order to see how it fared over time. I don't think they have made many changes since them to the Abarth. I did not give it a poor rating on things like ride quality and storage simply because the car is great for what it is. The ride quality is very stiff due to the sport suspension, as is the steering. It's what I wanted and what I expected, so it has not disappointed me in these regards. It is also noisy due to the awesome exhaust (which one dealer told me is made by Ferrari). My only "poor" rating is on the visibility. Even looking out the front you have to be vigilant. There just isn't a lot of clarity no matter how you slice it. Two other things I do not like: no Bluetooth connect from phone to audio (unless calling someone) so if you want to listen to Pandora, you have to have cords. This is probably not the case if you get the navigation package. The other thing I do not like: terrible turning radius! Crazy. Feels like driving a boat when trying for a tight turn. These things being said, I thought that when I bought this car I would get tired of it after two months. It's loud, fun, stiff, small, fast, manual. I got it on lease for three years, so it was a gamble. Well, I have not tired of it at all. It has been great. You will get close to 40 mpg on the highway, and I average about 30 in mixed city driving. Also, I fit a Laz-y-Boy in the back! (Only because you can separate the seat from the back with a Laz-y-Boy.) This is not a super fast car, but it FEELS super fast and it is a blast to rocket around. I will say that the turbo lag is a bit much. I hear that it is not so obvious in the automatic transmission. Also, Fiat often offers some great deals. I got this as a lease so had to pay the list price. The same car was on sale for about $4,000 less when purchasing. So leasing may not be the most economical choice. I have noticed that a lot of American reviewers are pretty hard on Fiat. I don't know why. Consumer Reports rates them with awful reliability yet I have not had a single issue. I test drove the VW GTI, and that is a great car, but a whole different animal. The GTI is faster, way more refined in terms of ride quality, but the Abarth feels like it is made for rallycross and wants to chew something up. It is just bursting to go when you put it in sport mode. You can only get a sense of the Abarth by driving it and really pushing the pedal. Again, I'm not sure why it doesn't get amazing reviews, but I am not a car expert. One person described the driving experience as "driving an angry hornet." That is right on. On the highway, it holds very firm. I have driven it fair distances and been very comfortable, but again, it is quite loud. I would seriously consider getting another Abarth when my lease is up in 2016, but the girlfriend is not in favor. She says it makes her dizzy and it is too loud for us to talk on a road trip. Also, the racing seats are not conducive to her reclining to take a snooze while I drive. So....a word to the wise. In a nutshell, if you test drive this car and finish by getting out and telling yourself you feel like you just got out of a cocktail shaker, this may not be the car for you. If, on the other hand, you get out and you find yourself eager for more, then you know you have found your next car. It will not disappoint.

• SUV