Used 2013 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 FIAT 500

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

A Very Happy Experience
By mefitzpat

2013 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

After having had my Fiat 500 for two months, I feel that I know the car well, and can comment on it. This car replaced a turbo diesel car, so needing fast acceleration was not a requirement. The first week of ownership, I put mine and my wife's road bikes on the back and took off on a thousand mile drive to participate in a week long bike ride in Northern Idaho. We had to cross the continental divide, and drive over many types of roads. This car has extremely comfortable seats, and except for the extreme climbs, has enough power. We averaged 35 mpg, for the trip. Since then, it is averaging 35-39 mpg with mostly city driving. We have had no problems, great a/c, and no rattles. Love this CAR

Favorite Features

The comfortable seats, ease of parking, and the Blue and Me. The blue and me is extremely easy to use, and is very clear while placing calls. The USB connection for the Nano was wonderful, and was great for the long drive.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that the cigarette lighter worked without having to have the engine running, and that there were partitions in the storage tray on the doors.

2013 Abarth manual - highest fun/$
By paul_abarth

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

You have to try it.. you may love or hate it - but it really is a fun car for 'enthusiast' drivers. Great value, provided you don't pay the MSRP (I got mine (with 3 year tire insurance - which I already used once for a repair) for 19K US$ + tax with end of year discounts of 6K.) Was considering other small/light 'fun' cars such as the Mini/Mazda Mx5/BRZ-FRS, but for similar performance/features it would be 10K more, anyway, I just kind of fell in love with it after a test drive. With the 17-inch wheels and P-zero tires this light weight car feels fast and nimble, not always stable on the edge. Provided you keep it in the mid-rev range the torque is strong and turbo lag is not an issue.

Favorite Features

I love the responsiveness and handling, and of course the exhaust sound is fantastic, and surprises many people. I get a lot of questions of the sort - what is that? Did you modify it?.. It is stock - although I added a short-shifter and 'go-pedal' - search online there are a ton of mods you can make for even more performance. No - this is not a super-car, and yes you will get out-run by a Honda V6, but driving this car puts a huge smile on your face and has a special feeling. Reliability seems fine - have done 8K of pretty hard commute driving on it and no issues. An Abarth track day experience was included in the purchase - just brilliant (although I wish we'd had more track time).

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastics are pretty cheap and easy to scratch. The ride can be a bit stiff and bouncy (low profile tires probably not helping), however I think the rear suspension could be improved. Sometimes on the freeway I would like to have a 6th gear and for sure reverse lockout would be safer.. as reverse comes after 5 in the 2013 model at least. Pedals (too close), steering and seating position (high) are not great - I wish it had a telescoping wheel. I'm hoping fiat bring out a coupe based on this platform with no rear seats, move the engine and seats backwards to improve the car's balance and create better leg room/pedal layout not impeded by the front wheel arches, make it RWD.

2014 500 Pop
By domino14

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the 5-speed Fiat 500 for a few weeks now and so far I am happy. My main concern in getting this car was the quality - but getting a warranty with it eased the pain. When driving alone or in a big city: this is the car to have. It has prominent strengths and weaknesses.This car is not meant for offroad, mountain, or utility driving. It dominates normal streets and freeways though with small size, agility, and economy.

Favorite Features

Pros: Fun to drive Powerful A/C Comfortable driver/passenger seat Fuel Economy Agility Ease of parking

Suggested Improvements

Cons: Small Engine (slow) Limited storage Rear passenger headroom No lock on gas cap/door A/C light is not visible in daytime

2103 Pop 10 day review
By grepthis

2013 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2013 10 days ago. I'm impressed and very excited. The value of the Pop for the money cannot be overstated. After researching many used cars and new I was thrilled to pay $15,560 out-the-door for a new car with 4 year warranty, comfortable ride, fun ride, cruise control, power windows, usb, bluetooth... It does great on freeways and curvy roads. The Sport button is especially fun on the curvy roads. Parking and maneuvering is great. Excellent gas mileage - exceeds the 31-40 mpg ratings. The car meets the needs and satisfies the wants. The engine delivers. I pulled the rear headrests and keep the rear seat down and enjoy the open space in the back.

Favorite Features

Value is outstanding. Overall - just great driving pleasure. I like manuals and shifting is good. . Some smart things I like: The finger control audio buttons on the rear of the steering wheel. The drivers side mirror is split so you eliminate the blind spot behind you. The location of the shifter is superb. Rear window defroster and wiper.

Suggested Improvements

the eco-drive software is less than perfect. I put in a usb stick and it continuously says it upgraded the software, but never moves on. So I just pulled the usb stick and have skipped gathering driving metrics for now. Too bad as I was curious how I was doing.

If you're a real "driver" get one
By bircken

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As I said in the title, if you enjoy driving and take it seriously, get one. I was very pleased with my 500 Sport (35000 mi) but longed for a bit more 'oomph' to play with. It's handling and overall demeanor was really good and involving but getting up to speed was lacking. Enter the Abarth. As someone else stated in a previous review, the many changes made to the car to cope with the added power turned it into a different animal. The power is there, the steering more direct, the brakes (helped by the 17"tires) are like hitting a wall, the shifting is more direct and positive. Short of driving a race kart on the streets, this is 'it'. You just have to hear the engine fire up. Love it!

Favorite Features

All the dynamics: accelerating, handling, steering response, brakes. Relatively comfortable ride to boot (considering the firm suspension). All the features that one would expect from a modern car are there regarding creature comforts inside. Looks like the terrier that will chew up your ankles if you make him mad.

Suggested Improvements

The only two complaints, and it applies to all 500's, is that the passenger seat is too high and limits the size of your co-pilot (my wife thinks it's fine though, but she's only 5'4"...) and that the Beats sub-woofer eats up a big chunk of the trunk.