This thing shifts terribly!
By patsys on
2012 FIAT 500 C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)
Brand new fully loaded lounge cabrio.. This thing is the worst around town. I have an automatic - because that's your only option. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd you get a whiplash-like jerk. The gas pedal is awful too. Its always too little gas or too much. Something is wrong with the design of this car. Seriously. Oh yeah.. you cannot pull out across traffic.. there is a two second delay between slamming the gas down and the car actually moving. Its not a lemon.. it just stinks!!!
Favorite Features
Outside is pretty.
Suggested Improvements
Start over and try to copy mini this time.
By rtwolfe
on 10/08/11 22:12 PM (PDT)

Patsys - I have a cabrio pop but have driven the Lounge several times. I struggled with the automatic myself but I found it drove better for me when I used a couple options. First, I would turn on the Sport button. That will tighten the throttle timing and also change the shift points in the automatic. Second, I learned how to use the dualogic option. Dualogic lets you decide when to change gears by tapping the stick forward or back. Try taking your foot off the accelerator as you would on a manual just before you change gear. Also, watch as much as you can, the gear your car is in (on display) and also the revs, that'll help you a lot. After that you'll know and feel the gears without even watching, that's when you know you know your dualogic automatic transmission well. Good Luck.

By jpillitteri
on 12/19/11 04:30 AM (PST)

I'm sorry you're not enjoying your FIAT. I finally test drove one last Saturday (POP and SPORT/ auto and stick). I plan to purchase it before the end of the year. This will be my 3rd FIAT - I haven't owned one since the mid 1980s. The automatic is "adequate" at best, I don't think that "punching" the accelerator is going to work with a 1.4 engine. I had an original (a 600) and these vehicles were originally designed to be metropolitan transportation (mostly manual transmissions,also). Maybe you're expecting more from it than it's capable of offering? It is what it is. I also looked at Hondas and Toyotas. The FIAT is what it is. Try adjusting your expectation and enjoy the ride!