2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Review: Fun to look and drive, but too

2012 FIAT 500 - Consumer Review

C Pop Convertible (1.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun to look and drive, but too many problems
By vince_ on

2012 FIAT 500 C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Too many issues for a new car, even if they fix all the problems for free. I like the car, it performs as expected. It is a city car, easy to park, drives very well from 0-40, and able to handle the highway. The convertible top makes for a fun summer drive. I get great mileage, 31 in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic, if I take it easy I have no problems surpassing the est highway and getting 41. So far I have had two ignition coils go bad, one resulting in being stranded. The radio failed to work when very cold, and now 1/2 the climate controls have gone dark. They have fixed all the problems free of charge, but the longer I own it the more I fear "What next will go wrong?

Favorite Features

Convertible top, easy access to the small trunk from the cabin. The small size of the car. Surprisingly good use of space for the size of the car.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission column takes leg room that knees could use. Seats are not the best for long trips. Armrest is made without padding that will last, if you use it. Plastic interior on the doors dent and chip easily.