Fun little commuter car
By f360f1 on
2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)
I bought my 2012 Sport as a replacement for a string of Volkswagens, most recently a GTI, mostly because I wanted something a little different and I was impressed with the design. The 500 has not disappointed so far. I get more compliments/questions about it than any car other than my Ferrari. I have had no problems with it so far, although I have only had it for about a month. It is fun to drive, recognizing that it underpowered and one really has to rev it to make it go. I am getting great mileage -- a real 33 mpg driving to work in city traffic if I drive like an old lady; 31 or so otherwise.
Favorite Features
It is an interesting, clever design that is both modern and retro. The handling is quite good with the sport model. The small size is great in city traffic and with parking -- this car fits easily where others do not. The glass sunroof (with shade) is huge and I am not tall enough to be affected by a lack of headroom that others have noted. Although there is some hard plastic, the interior overall looks like it came from a more expensive car. The gas mileage is great, as is the fact that you can use regular gas. For such an interesting car, it is a really good value.
Suggested Improvements
It is underpowered for the American market; an additional 20 hp (it has 101) would make a big difference. It should have an armrest for the passenger. My sport version did not come with SiriusXM, which I really miss, and it apparently cannot be added except through the aftermarket. Buyers should be aware that the 500 is very small, with all the plusses and minuses that that entails. It is a great little commuting car, but I would not want to drive cross country gas pedal to the floor with 18 wheelers whizzing by. I would have bought the Abarth, which I would have preferred due to the extra 60 hp, but you can't get it with an automatic, which I needed for family members to drive.