Excellent bang for buck
By donovang1 on
2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)
I was skeptical at first, but so far..everything is great. I just traded in my 08 Mini for the Fiat 500 Sport. I live in Houston, and do a lot of running around the city. It's peppy, quick, and easy to drive and park. If you enjoy a smaller ride, you should seriously consider purchasing a Fiat. I test drove the manual and automatic through city streets and on the freeways. I felt that the manual had much more power and pep. You have to know when to downshift to maximize your driving potential. For the price, you definitely wont find anything remotely close. I miss the speed of my Mini, but not the overpriced maintenance and heavy ride.
Favorite Features
The best feature that I love is fuel economy. My Mini was getting about 22-24 mpg in the city. This Fiat is getting a solid 30 mpg with city driving. Lots of headroom! The seats are much more comfortable, while sitting higher and offer a more cushy ride. My legs are no longer resting on the floor. The Bose sound system is a nice upgrade as well. Oil changes are every 8000-8500 miles, and cost less than $50.00, as opposed to almost $400 for my Mini. With gas prices rising, and the crunch of our economy, I feel that I've made a great financial choice. This car costs thousands less than others in the same class.
Suggested Improvements
The interior door panels are very cheap. They scratch too easily. Also, a nice console between the front seats would be nice for extra storage and comfort. The passenger front seat doesnt have an arm rest either. The rear seats do not fold down flush. I think within a few years they'll make these improvements. Hopefully.
By donovang1
on 06/04/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

Ok..so I wrote the above review after having the car in my possession for less than a week. I do still love my car...however..I've had a lot of issues with it over the 2.5 months I've owned it. Helfman Fiat of Houston has NOT really done much to help me. They say to call Fiat(USA) and they refer me back to the dealership. I've had two issues with the brakes..(once at 300 miles and again at 900 miles). My car is a manual transmission and it's jumped out of 4th gear twice. Both times it's scared the crap out of me. They couldnt find anything wrong with the car either time. The leather bagging around the shifter has come unattached and is currently dangling. It's literally falling apart. The most current issue is the paint on the hood. My car is red. My hood has a burnt orange circle about the size of a basketball on the passenger area of the hood, right over where the radiator reserve is. It's so hot it's cooking the paint front underneath. I'm taking it BACK in tomorrow. Dont know how they'll repair it without actually repainting it...which will make it look as though it's been in an accident. My car only has 1609 miles on it as of right now. Currently looking up info on Lemon Laws. With my experience..I would say DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. The dealerships are shoddy...the 800 numbers will get you no where. I'm at the point of picketing in front of the dealership and telling everyone that'll listen, my story.