Used 2012 FIAT 500 Pop Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

WARNING - Dangerous vehicle
By wikolia

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

while driving in left hand hand lane of I-95 in FL, (blood alley) the engine shut down and I had to drift over 2 lanes to the hard shoulder. got towed to dealership where the valve actuator, camshaft and generator had to be replaced. this vehicle had only 6000 miles on it. after NO help from dealership or FIAT corporate office I have no faith in this brand at all. I'm lucky to be alive. please note this is an automatic vehicle. there was no option for automatic in the dropdown menu.

none

One of the best I've ever owned
By robhmass

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with optional alloy wheels, sunroof, and a couple of other options in April 2012. Got a great price. Had the car now for 17 months & have driven 38,000 miles with no mechanical problems. There was a service bulletin recall concerning ungrounded starter bolts which the dealership fixed promptly along with a blown bi-halogen headlight(probably related to the ungrounded starter bolts). However, service tech did not unhook the battery while replacing starter bolts and shorted out the climate control panel. So, now, the car is back @ the dealer to replace this. Dealer did give a loaner. Absolutely no other issues. Car is great on gas(38-40mpg mostly highway) and fun, fun to drive.

1. Blue & Me for the hands free calling--Works great. 2. Sport mode-- a bit more fun to drive( Evil Grin)! 3. Looks good, drives great(zippy, sticks to road). 4. Saves me $200 a month in gas which almost pays my car payment!

>Inside plastic door panels are a bit cheap looking and scratch easily. >Door to under seat drawer will not stay latched. >A couple of paint peels on the lower front bumper from just getting a rock ding. Poor quality paint? Mainly just minor issues like above which Fiat needs to tweak in their next models.

Fiat 500-The City Dweller
By heiliner1

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Our household has two 2012 Fiat 500 Pops, 20 serial numbers apart. Both vehicles have around 2000 miles on them. On one vehicle the oxygen sensor has failed. On the other vehicle the glove box is out of alignment. We bought these Fiats because they are cute, easy to get in and out of, easy to park, and had low initial purchase prices. Considering the standard features there wasn't another car in that size range that offered as much.

Probably the most significant feature of the Fiat 500 is that it will illicit smiles from pedestrians and commuters alike. How can you not smile back at a car smiling at you? I could rave all day about the Fiat 500 manual transmission, it is the smoothest transmission I have ever shifted. The basic motor has plenty of get up and go. As parking stalls become smaller in Seattle the Fiat 500 shows itself off in tight parking spaces, narrow parking stalls, and wiggling in and out of traffic. The turning radius is like driving a warehouse fork lift. Visibility is quite good. On 92 octane fuel both cars are getting between 34-36 mpg.

I think Fiat/Chrysler is trying to get this car right for the United States. The Fiat 500 needs a passenger arm rest, and headliner hold handles. The cars being produced in Mexico need higher final quality control checks like headlights out of adjustment, and misaligned glove boxes. Blue and Me ( Fiat Bluetooth) needs to function better with Smart Phones. Neither of our cars will read text messages... using Android 4.1.2 or iPhone 3.

CUTE! I LOVE IT!
By skuzziboi1

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

So I was pretty stoked when I bought this car, its way cute and fun to drive! The only issue I have with it are the very cheap interior fixtures. A common breaking item is the armrest, yeah, dealer said its a common issue and is covered under warranty, havent taken it in just yet so well see for sure later. Also, the under seat drawer handel broke on me :-/ I was very dissappointed to find that the Pop Models do not come equipped with Blue&Me, even though edmunds states that its a standard feature. Also if you squeen the upper lining of the cabin, it feels literally like its made of egg cartons and cheap felt :-( needless to say, super CUTE car at a great price, sucky cheap interior.

Its cuteness...

If your gonna state something is standard, MAKE IT STANDARD!!!

The Design Standard City Car
By dwink9909

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I only have a few hundred miles on my Fiat 500 Pop hatchback, but my initial impression and every bit of available research and feedback tell me that Fiat has hit the mark with this Americanized version of their hit European city car. Even at 6' 5" and 240 pounds, I fit easily in the cabin and like everything about the driving and pedal positions, clutch, shifter, steering and all the features, from steering wheel controls to "sport" mode selection. My Fiat handles well, both at highway speed and close quarters city driving. It reminds me of my 1970 VW Beetle, but with modern handling technology and almost twice the horsepower. Like the Beetle, it's an incredible bargain as well.

Surprising braking capability in base model stock form. Driver position and cabin comfort are better than expected, even for my large frame. Stock radio lj

Center arm rest could be more substantial, or be replaced by a console shared by driver and passenger.