2012 FIAT 500 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Fiat 500 - Consumer Reviews

2012 500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Sort Reviews by

Too many repairs - clutch failure not warrantied
By pandacar

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I want to love this car, but one of the main reasons I bought it was for its affordability and I haven't even had it 2 years and I'm already paying 10% of the original cost in repairs! I bought it one year used with 11,000 miles on it. It's now 28,000 at miles and it's had problems with everything from cosmetic issues like peeling paint, to an air bag sensor failure, to a very serious no-warning clutch failure (which was not covered under warranty after 15,000 miles). The clutch replacement at a FIAT dealer has taken 10 days so far and is costing a small fortune. It's a fun car but just not holding up! I always drove a Subaru or Toyota before and I think it may be time to go back.

Favorite Features

Affordable (assuming you don't need repairs that aren't covered by the warranty), cute, good gas mileage, handles well given the small engine (struggles a little on hills), makes parking easy, back seat folds down easily to carry a decent amount of cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Some parts of the interior seem cheap - plastic bolt under glove box has popped out leaving the upholstery flapping, gear shift ring broke, etc. Outside, the paint is peeling on the strip between the sunroof and front windshield. The worst issue is the clutch dying suddenly at 28,000 miles (no slipping, no burning clutch smell to warn you, it just worked and then it didn't, in my case, in the middle of an intersection.) I've driven stick all my life and never run through a clutch that quickly. Peruse the forums and reviews for the 2012 FIAT 500 Manual Transmission and you'll see I'm not alone. No help from the dealership either.

Fun car - just hope nothing breaks
By centraca

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my 2012 FIAT Sport. It is a fun car to drive, but there are issues. at 61,000 miles I am having to put in a new transmission, as the pressure plate has failed. I am not the only one, I am now at two weeks without my car, waiting on the parts. Everything that has needed to be done on this car takes a long time for the parts to come in. If you are considering a FIAT, turn around and RUN away from these cars.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, easy to park and navigate traffic.

Suggested Improvements

improved transmissions and materials. After having the arm rest break, FIAT wanted $1,100 to reinforce the drivers seat. Really??? It was a $84 part, dont make the customer pay for your flawed designs.

Not good
By cacplanor

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2013 Sport purchased new now with 34K. Same problems many others are facing. Starting stumble, clunks heard and felt through steering system, suspension bumpers, eating tires once a year! Its nice to look at and fun to drive but that's about it. Run away if you appreciate what a "good" car is. Chrystler doesn't care if your car is broken, they'll tell you it's all "normal". You know, that "normal" clunk in the steering. The same clunk which would have stopped you/me from buying the car if a new one made it! Mine had that "norma"l clunk after only 6K miles. Thanks for that screw Chrysler, I won't soon forget it! Your cars suck and Uncle Sam should've let fail like you deserved.

So far so good.
By trojas001

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought My fiat 500 sport used with 30.000 miles on it. It now has 65,000 mile. After readying some negative reviews. All I can say that'ís truly unfortunate . So far my car has been running strong I drive my fiat daily commuting to work 60 miles every day. I take my car to my mechanic for its regular oil changes he also lubes and looks over everything and every time I go to pick up my car he lets me know that everything looks good. Nothing to be concerned about. For those who take their car to the dealership and have had bad experience you'íre better off going to your own mechanic you trust. I have the best mechanic . There are some things that disappoint me about my fiat, as you all kno

Favorite Features

I like the way the car handles around curves.

Suggested Improvements

better interior

Never again!!!
By prizm2356

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Horrible. Needs engine replaced at 34,000 miles due to a cracked head. Check engine light flashing all the time, arm rest broke off, ball joint in front so bad it failed safety inspection. Both emblems front and back fading out.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY CONTROL!!! I have owned so many cars and never had anything like this happen, years ago I bought a brand new Ford Aspire and I drove that car for 9 years wide open and it never gave me a problem.

I wish I didn't purchase this car.
By nomorefiat500

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Sigh..I fell in LOVE with my little 2012 Fiat 500 Sport until problem after problem. I just hit 30k miles and so far here are the issues; Clutch plate needed fixed, sometimes it wouldn't start since day 1; boot shifter replaced 2x; back windshield wiper fluid doesn't spray anymore, tire has a hole in it upon purchase, noticed next day, clock replaced as it wouldn't keep time, radio (CD Player) wouldn't eject CD's. I bought the car with 4 miles on it. I do not trust the Fiat dealerships and I do not trust this car anymore. I am trading it in soon. It's ashame, as I loved it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, cutness, 5 spd.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use Chrysler for anything. Keep it real...Italian.

Not Happy
By donna1954

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Fiat 500 less than 6 months ago and have never been so unhappy with a vehicle. The gas mileage is not what is advertised, the interior design is horrible, no center console, the visors do not even come close to protecting your face, the heat/ac when set on your feet blows directly, about 1/2" from your driving ankle so it either burns your ankle or freezes it. And do not let the wind blow at all because you cannot hold the car on the roadway. I do not enjoy driving anymore and can't wait to trade the car in.

Favorite Features

The color of the car is about the only thing I like.

Suggested Improvements

Heat/AC vent should be repositioned, the visors should be larger, more shoulder room, add a center console.

Fiat 500 sport
By fixitagaintony

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new with 60000 klm warranty. Most of my problems started after that and when I got to 85000 I traded it in for a honda fit. When I traded it the following repairs were required. Air conditioning not working, front end repairs for $1600. Leaking heater core, high beams that won't go to low. Brake power unit for $900. Paid 18000 and got 8000 on trade after 16 months and 85000 klm. MY dealer experience was awful. The salesmen were busy fighting over me, that on delivery I got the wrong car ( ordered white with bose stereo and got Grey with standard stereo.) Service dept. was not much better, as my request to return old parts for me to inspect were ignored. (commisons)

Favorite Features

Drove and handled great. Easy parking

Suggested Improvements

Poor side visability Buy extended warranty.

! un happy Camper
By lemonbuyer2

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this turbo sport 4 days ago and it's been in the shop twice already for repair, brand new car with 100 miles already has problems. I wished I had never seen the thing . I don't reccomend this car to anyone, ever. I will probably end up using the lemon law on this one , what a shame.

Love-hate relationship
By molly40

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 500 sport with 3,000 miles on it - dealer sales staff drove the car. While it looked cool and was extremely fun to drive, I quickly learned to loathe the car. Two steering arms and one master control module later (car had less than 20,000 miles on it), I looked for any way to unload this car without taking a huge loss. In addition to these issues, the backseat began to come apart at 12,000 miles (and rarely did I have anyone sit in the back). The engine block heater worked wonderfully but it began to malfunction and send error codes to the main computer. I was calling the dealer (90 miles away) for service every few weeks. Finally, at 24,500 miles, I called it quits.

Favorite Features

Anything that would actually work.

Suggested Improvements

Build a reliable vehicle.