Used 2012 FIAT 500 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Fiat 500 - Consumer Reviews

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Too many repairs - clutch failure not warrantied
By pandacar

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I want to love this car, but one of the main reasons I bought it was for its affordability and I haven't even had it 2 years and I'm already paying 10% of the original cost in repairs! I bought it one year used with 11,000 miles on it. It's now 28,000 at miles and it's had problems with everything from cosmetic issues like peeling paint, to an air bag sensor failure, to a very serious no-warning clutch failure (which was not covered under warranty after 15,000 miles). The clutch replacement at a FIAT dealer has taken 10 days so far and is costing a small fortune. It's a fun car but just not holding up! I always drove a Subaru or Toyota before and I think it may be time to go back.

Favorite Features

Affordable (assuming you don't need repairs that aren't covered by the warranty), cute, good gas mileage, handles well given the small engine (struggles a little on hills), makes parking easy, back seat folds down easily to carry a decent amount of cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Some parts of the interior seem cheap - plastic bolt under glove box has popped out leaving the upholstery flapping, gear shift ring broke, etc. Outside, the paint is peeling on the strip between the sunroof and front windshield. The worst issue is the clutch dying suddenly at 28,000 miles (no slipping, no burning clutch smell to warn you, it just worked and then it didn't, in my case, in the middle of an intersection.) I've driven stick all my life and never run through a clutch that quickly. Peruse the forums and reviews for the 2012 FIAT 500 Manual Transmission and you'll see I'm not alone. No help from the dealership either.

Fun car - just hope nothing breaks
By centraca

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my 2012 FIAT Sport. It is a fun car to drive, but there are issues. at 61,000 miles I am having to put in a new transmission, as the pressure plate has failed. I am not the only one, I am now at two weeks without my car, waiting on the parts. Everything that has needed to be done on this car takes a long time for the parts to come in. If you are considering a FIAT, turn around and RUN away from these cars.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, easy to park and navigate traffic.

Suggested Improvements

improved transmissions and materials. After having the arm rest break, FIAT wanted $1,100 to reinforce the drivers seat. Really??? It was a $84 part, dont make the customer pay for your flawed designs.

Not good
By cacplanor

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2013 Sport purchased new now with 34K. Same problems many others are facing. Starting stumble, clunks heard and felt through steering system, suspension bumpers, eating tires once a year! Its nice to look at and fun to drive but that's about it. Run away if you appreciate what a "good" car is. Chrystler doesn't care if your car is broken, they'll tell you it's all "normal". You know, that "normal" clunk in the steering. The same clunk which would have stopped you/me from buying the car if a new one made it! Mine had that "norma"l clunk after only 6K miles. Thanks for that screw Chrysler, I won't soon forget it! Your cars suck and Uncle Sam should've let fail like you deserved.

So far so good.
By trojas001

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought My fiat 500 sport used with 30.000 miles on it. It now has 65,000 mile. After readying some negative reviews. All I can say that'ís truly unfortunate . So far my car has been running strong I drive my fiat daily commuting to work 60 miles every day. I take my car to my mechanic for its regular oil changes he also lubes and looks over everything and every time I go to pick up my car he lets me know that everything looks good. Nothing to be concerned about. For those who take their car to the dealership and have had bad experience you'íre better off going to your own mechanic you trust. I have the best mechanic . There are some things that disappoint me about my fiat, as you all kno

Favorite Features

I like the way the car handles around curves.

Suggested Improvements

better interior

Never again!!!
By prizm2356

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Horrible. Needs engine replaced at 34,000 miles due to a cracked head. Check engine light flashing all the time, arm rest broke off, ball joint in front so bad it failed safety inspection. Both emblems front and back fading out.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY CONTROL!!! I have owned so many cars and never had anything like this happen, years ago I bought a brand new Ford Aspire and I drove that car for 9 years wide open and it never gave me a problem.