Used 2012 FIAT 500 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Still happy, just missing hubcaps.
By Anna

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my yellow FIAT. It is the perfect city car for a single person. I have probably taken 30 weekend trips of approximately 900-miles roundtrip and have never had a problem. At 65,000 miles I needed to replace the tires and battery, but I am told that is as expected for a new car. My only complaint to date has been the hubcaps... They keep falling off. I got 5 replacements (at different times) from the dealership when I was under warrantee, but since that has ended I have been driving two hubcaps short for over 15,000 miles. I hope to find some replacements soon, but since 2 of my 5 replaced FIAT hubcaps have fallen off a second time I plan to buy another brand to make it worth the money. Other than the hubcaps I am very happy with my FIAT and it has been keeping up with my long weekends very well. Besides the replacement for my tires and battery, plus regular oil and filter changes, I have not sunk any additional money into the car in almost 4 year.

Don't waste your time and money on a Fiat
By portlandmaine

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving this car and it does turn heads, but it's in the shop a lot. I was willing to tolerate that since it's still under warranty, until the clutch "wore out". I've been driving a stick for 30+ years and have never worn out a clutch, so, in spite of what Fiat customer "care" said, it was not caused by my lousy driving. Although the rest of the car is still under warranty, the clutch is a wear item and is not covered. My car suddenly was undriveable (a potential safety issue), it was stranded 200 miles from my home, it cost $1200 out of my pocket to repair and over $300 in rental car fees to get home and then get back to pick up the car. This at less then 40K miles.

This car sure is cute and fun to drive.

From what I've read on the internet, Fiat must know that this clutch is a piece of crap and they should replace it as a warranty item for 48 months or 48000 miles, just like the rest of the car. This car is going on Craig's list tomorrow and I'm buying something that is more reliable because as fun as it is to drive, getting stranded 200 miles from home is not fun at all.

Too many repairs - clutch failure not warrantied
By pandacar

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I want to love this car, but one of the main reasons I bought it was for its affordability and I haven't even had it 2 years and I'm already paying 10% of the original cost in repairs! I bought it one year used with 11,000 miles on it. It's now 28,000 at miles and it's had problems with everything from cosmetic issues like peeling paint, to an air bag sensor failure, to a very serious no-warning clutch failure (which was not covered under warranty after 15,000 miles). The clutch replacement at a FIAT dealer has taken 10 days so far and is costing a small fortune. It's a fun car but just not holding up! I always drove a Subaru or Toyota before and I think it may be time to go back.

Affordable (assuming you don't need repairs that aren't covered by the warranty), cute, good gas mileage, handles well given the small engine (struggles a little on hills), makes parking easy, back seat folds down easily to carry a decent amount of cargo.

Some parts of the interior seem cheap - plastic bolt under glove box has popped out leaving the upholstery flapping, gear shift ring broke, etc. Outside, the paint is peeling on the strip between the sunroof and front windshield. The worst issue is the clutch dying suddenly at 28,000 miles (no slipping, no burning clutch smell to warn you, it just worked and then it didn't, in my case, in the middle of an intersection.) I've driven stick all my life and never run through a clutch that quickly. Peruse the forums and reviews for the 2012 FIAT 500 Manual Transmission and you'll see I'm not alone. No help from the dealership either.

Fun car - just hope nothing breaks
By centraca

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my 2012 FIAT Sport. It is a fun car to drive, but there are issues. at 61,000 miles I am having to put in a new transmission, as the pressure plate has failed. I am not the only one, I am now at two weeks without my car, waiting on the parts. Everything that has needed to be done on this car takes a long time for the parts to come in. If you are considering a FIAT, turn around and RUN away from these cars.

Fun to drive, easy to park and navigate traffic.

improved transmissions and materials. After having the arm rest break, FIAT wanted $1,100 to reinforce the drivers seat. Really??? It was a $84 part, dont make the customer pay for your flawed designs.

Not good
By cacplanor

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2013 Sport purchased new now with 34K. Same problems many others are facing. Starting stumble, clunks heard and felt through steering system, suspension bumpers, eating tires once a year! Its nice to look at and fun to drive but that's about it. Run away if you appreciate what a "good" car is. Chrystler doesn't care if your car is broken, they'll tell you it's all "normal". You know, that "normal" clunk in the steering. The same clunk which would have stopped you/me from buying the car if a new one made it! Mine had that "norma"l clunk after only 6K miles. Thanks for that screw Chrysler, I won't soon forget it! Your cars suck and Uncle Sam should've let fail like you deserved.