Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Most Helpful|
Fiat driver for life
By juniperarnold

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Fiat 500 sport in May of last year. It came right off of the showroom floor. They placed my requested aftermarket rims on the car and it came with the Italian stripes down the side. Leather seats and a white and black dash. The design and colors are stunning together. The manual makes the car very quick and fun to drive. I would never buy an automatic Fiat. I drive my car through downtown Atlanta then on the interstate during my 30 mile one way commute. Never had a problem and the ride is very comfy. If you take care of your car and love it, it will do the same for you. This car is absolutely perfect.

Favorite Features

Colors and choices between graphics like the mini cooper. Sport button is great in the mountains. Comfy seats and pretty of room to go to Ikea when back seats are folded down. Attention getter. Bose sound system. Quick of the brakes when in bad traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of anything

500 lounge, with every option
By phatgreatwall

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

car is fun to drive, gets really good mileage, steering tie rod end was loose after 30,000km, replaced under warranty. buy this car only for the fun and new factor, definitely a chick's car, but i see too many old italian guys driving it......

Favorite Features

bose audio amazing, sunroof really fun and funky.

Suggested Improvements

tomtom navigation is ugly as hell, wish it was a built in unit. passenger seat could have height adjuster, steering wheel should be telescopic. bluetooth audio should be available. blue&me is pretty much useless, cant understand any commands once u go over 40 km/h due to wind noise. dashboard rattle is annoying. the whole radio system is designed by a drunk italian, when u plug in usb and open the trunk, it'll go to am/fm, wtf? transmisson 1st-2nd shift is really rough, no fix for it .

Cheerful fun
By 740driver

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

For years I considered buying a Mini Cooper but every time I drove one the rough ride and heavy steering made me walk away. The Fiat is much more civilized, especially on bumpy city streets in places like Washington, DC. The steering is light, making the car feel lighter and more agile than the Mini. With the ivory colored steering wheel, seat trim and headliner the Fiat is a delightful place to be. For me, the cheerfulness of the Fiat sold me over the aggressiveness of the Mini.

Favorite Features

Balanced steering and ride, tight turning radius. Bose sound, Bluetooth. Style.

Suggested Improvements

The seat latches to enter the back seat feel flimsy. A bigger engine would be welcomed.

Sad to have raved about it
By carreview5

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this car I was really excited and raved about it to all my friends. I expected nothing but great things from this little car and really started saving a lot of money in Gasoline purchases. (Was getting 42+ MPG by driving reasonably and not being aggressive with it, itÂ’s not a racer) 27,000 miles into it, the clutch failed (in rush hour traffic no less) and Fiat claims that it was just worn out. All calls for Customer Service ended in no help what-so-ever. Fiat is not ready to return to the American car market. Do not purchase this car. The clutch replacement at the studio costs 10 percent of the price of the car.

Favorite Features

It was Blue

Suggested Improvements

Check out the NHTSA website. 6 of 41 (at the time of this writing) safety complaints are the clutch failing in traffic.

Glad to be rid of it!!
By hatethefiat

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in august of 2012. RED, inside and out. I fell in love with the look. Bad idea. As soon as I took in on the highway the first time, the ABS sensor fell off. Then as soon as it spent one night in a snow bank), shocks were noisy. I can't remember how many garage visits, but they were never able to fix it. Then, the transmission failed, I was unable to press the clutch pedal. then again this winter, the same issue with the shocks after another night in the snowbank. Avoid this car at all costs. Dealer as well as Fiat Canada were extremely unhelpful too. Thank god another dealer was a lot more helpful. Got rid of the thing last week and bought a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Design.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and Reliability of all types of components. Dealer and FIAT responsiveness to issues. Better yet, just don't sell this car anymore.