Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Coming up on 4 yrs of ownership
By KenN

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, but hate the quality - and depreciation. Purchased new for HS graduate in May 2012. Rear bumper reflector just dropped off randomly - covered under warranty. Shift knob top broke off - covered under warranty. Steering clunk - tightened but not replaced with correct new intermediate shaft under warranty - clunk is back, but now 2 thousand miles out of warranty. Arm rest broke - cushion fell off - fixed my self with gorilla glue. Sun roof does not work - and pealed paint on strip in front of sun roof ( for over 20 months ) - but out of warranty - as I had no access to car since daughter had it at college. I am deathly afraid the clutch will die per other reviews - we have 54000 miles on the car. I do my own oil and filter changes as dealership service shop is only open during week and my daughter only comes home on weekends. Having said all that - the car is fun to drive with great brakes and decent enough acceleration for a guy who grew up in a time when zero to 60 in 10 seconds was considered fast. I asked dealership to make me an offer for trade in to purchase a used car off the lot ( Korean or Japanese ) - and even they don't want the car. NO offer. Paid 21K for it and now worth less than 7 K I expect for trade in. The Bose stereo is awesome. Gas mileage driving highway is above 38 mpg at 75 mph, so decent - but bigger cars get that now days. Would I buy again - no - way - ... will I keep it - probably will take it over and keep as 3rd car. I'm 6 foot 2 and just barely stay under the (broken) sunroof - so I can live with it - driving position is strange, but I am used to it. I like the car - I hate the quality and/or lack of responsibility by Fiat / Chrysler for standing behind the product for the following issues - Steering rack clunk / Paint peeling / arm rest - can't comment on the Sun Roof other than I read it was glued in from the interior and there is no way I'm paying for that repair.

Originally Excited, Now Regretting Purchase
By C@

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2012 Fiat: 43,208 miles - Automatic Trans. Purchased July/August 2014 from a seedy local dealership whom can't be held accountable for this "Lemon". It drives GREAT, when it's working but I live in the U.P. of Michigan. Hard winters are common and the car doesn't have much clearance (which I knew purchasing the car and wasn't worried). However, the digital displays do not work after 20 degrees (and in the winter that is normally -20 degrees). 25 minutes is usually how long i had to run the car to warm up the car enough for the digital displays to work properly (which wouldn't be bad except the accurate speedometer is digital). When I first logged on to their online service/maintenance report- I had seen that it was in for electrical work (I believe) twice, and did not think anything of it at the time. However, around Thanksgiving of that same year I had to send my car to the car dealership in Traverse City for work to be done. I did not get my car back until late December 2015 because the parts were out of stock. The customer service department was very nice about the delay, and towing to the customer service department was paid by the Fiat brand because it was under warranty (I paid for bridge tolls $50.00). I had to make arrangements to get a ride to Traverse City to pick up my car because they were going to charge me to bring it back. The dealership in this area that sold me the car, Fernelius Hyundai, would not help me in the slightest besides giving me a lender car for three days around Thanksgiving- they said it was my problem and I should be thankful for their generosity. When I received my car it worked fine, but then in February of 2015 the same thing happened again. I received free towing to Traverse City, and I had to pay bridge tolls again. This time customer service in Traverse City said they couldn't find the problem, but it seemed to be working fine (my theory was that since it is warmer in Traverse City they didn't have the same issue). Now it is January 2016, we had a warmer than normal winter. AGAIN, I have the same problem with my Fiat. I again will have to send it down to Traverse City to get it worked on, however, I don't believe it will fall under the 4 year warranty/50,000 miles. This means I will probably have to pay for the towing and bridge tolls out of pocket. I cannot in good mind sell my car. I believe Fernelius Hyundai knew of these problems. I no longer have access to the previous service records on my car that I can tell. I believe I have no protection in this but want to try. I can't believe there isn't a recall on my 2012 Fiat after having the same problem YEARLY.

Got a love it
By adam

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had it for almost 4 years now with little to no problems. Hand rest broke had it taken care off. Use it mostly for a work commute and driving around the city. So far so good I enjoy it and best of all almost paid off. Thinking can get another 4 years out of it.

Clutch broke at 53,000km
By Dragos Paraschivescu

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch broke at 53,000km, 4 months after the end of 3 year warranty. Cost of repair was CAD 1,800. Called Fiat Canada customer support, they did not want to reimburse.

I Hate to Say It, But...
By Michelle Walsh

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As much as I love it, it's got to go. Bought used with about 40K miles on it. It's fun to drive, gets great mileage, and I had no complaints until I went to have the oil changed and the mechanic told me there were metal particles in the oil, and I shouldn't be driving it. I bought it from CarMax, who have been wonderful about dealing with this: ended up having to replace the engine (no cost to me), but when the car came back after being gone for a month, the antennae had been broken off (and not replaced) and one of my hubcaps was missing (again, CarMax is being great about repair/replacement). Came out a week ago to drive to church, and the driver's side door handle came off in my hand. Not a big thing, but a) I live in Wisconsin, where it gets pretty cold, and it was very temperate the night before-not like it was well below freezing and therefore brittle, and b) This car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it yet. I'm now wondering "what next" every time I get in the car to drive it. It makes me sad, because I've really loved this car. Too bad Fiat can't make something more reliable...

• SUV