Used 2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Little Red Cherry Pepper
By D Cozz

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Car's great to me. Single guy, and tall, and car is fun, dependable and has just enough bells and whistles for me: bucket seats, great stereo, good heat/ac... I get more compliments on this car than I did on my mini-cooper. Maybe it's the rosso brilliant paint... Going on fourth year and hope to have for many yrs more... 21k so far, and always excited to get bend the wheel and go for a ride... For the price paid, I'm happy...

Never Buy a Fiat! Worst Investment
By Star

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Good afternoon all,

To anyone reading this I hope this review helps you in not repeating the same mistake I have made with this affiliation. Although Fiats are cute in shape there are so many future faults. I currently own a 2012 Fiat 500c Lounge. When I purchased my car Certified Pre-owned at 23k miles I was provided with a car report which only stated car went in for routine maintenance. Fast forward to about 10k miles later I have to get a new battery, tune up etc. I thought nothing of it. I am currently at 58k miles and 8k out of warranty and my transmission light comes on randomly one day stating "check transmission - see handbook". I contacted the Fiat customer service (1-888.242.6342 spoke with Robin, Brenda, Mercedes & Josh -Total Calls 8) to see if they could assist with any repairs. They advised me my car history states my fiat has been sent in twice for a new radiator and once for sunroof repair (No wonder previous owner traded it in. A new radiator was installed first 2k miles no accidents just manufacture faults. I had NO prior knowledge of this issue it was never reported nor communicated to me when purchasing). Brenda, then stated they would need it to be diagnoses first to see what they can do. However, in order to do so I would need to take it into the fiat studio etc. Fiat Studio address: 196 South Dupont Highway Newcastle, DE phone no: 3023231666 service advisor: Tony - not helpful had no clue what was going on just guessing games. I was charged a total of $460 just for them to tell me an incomplete, inconsistent diagnosis (Diagnosis code P0741 had been provided to them at drop off before any work was performed - Tony said that was not helpful could mean anything. (Diagnosis means: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off). Since Fiat customer service said they needed additional details I told "Tony the unhelpful" he would need to provide additional details which is why my initial price sky rocketed from $99.95 (because I had a coupon original price $115.97) to $460. The only diagnosis I was provided was that it was a mechanical issue and repairs would be $5,975 (no lie I will never forget this number).

In order to get a better understanding because I am a female and cars aren't my forte'. I asked "Tony the Unhelpful" what can cause these kinds of issues? He stated its a computer issue and would need rewiring. I provide this feedback to Fiat customer service who now state since I am out of warranty theres nothing they can do. I understand that, however they should've advised me that before I went ahead and authorized Tony to do absolutely nothing but fiddle around with gadgets? The customer service gave me the impression I would be covered. I have begged, pleaded, cried, went to FCA customer service only to be directed back to Fiat customer service. I even asked that they at least cover half of the diagnosis due to useless customer service as well as mechanical faults. They continuously stated "no". In the mist of all of this I still remained optimistic. I continuously attempted to find the root to this problem. I thought maybe this could've have been due to water. I then contacted my insurance company who then performed an extensive investigation and stated after careful review there was no evidence of water damages - claim denied. I contacted the Fiat to advise them of this and also advise that I was told "this is a mechanical issue". Fiat Customer Service then states "Carmen Chrysler Jeep Dodge" told them my car was "maintained poorly and it was water damaged". (My car has a low tire thread on left side everything else is in great shape I promise). I advise the rep of this and also advise her there were no signs of water damages after my insurance performed their investigation. She then contacts shop to verify they then agree that yes in fact the only thing is the tire and confirm no water damage. Fiat still advises me there still nothing they can do since I am out of warranty. They advised that it was my fault since the tire is low it impacted my transmission. I am perfectly fine with that response. I will take full responsibility if that was indeed the case however, that was NOT the case!! After further research and second opinion from AAMCO turns out it was a system issue / computer issue - Mechanical failure the tires had absolutely NOTHING to do with this mechanical failure in fact AAMCO was $300+ cheaper (they waive diagnostic fee if you repair issue). This was all caused by a fault in the transmission so to wrap this review up my Fiat was a complete LEMON when it was first installed. I was lied to upon purchase information was never placed on carfax if it had been I would have NEVER joined the Fiat family because this is a common issue that I had no idea about until now.

In conclusion, I would advise anyone seeking a fiat or even going for servicing at this location especially females to look elsewhere. For interested fiat lookers look elsewhere bad c

Charlie Brown
By Joel Rice

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Let me first say I bought my 2015 Fiat pop on a whim, I didn't need the car, I had a Dodge Journey RT and loved it but honestly I wanted to see if my bank would allow me to have a second car they did! So I bought my Fiat 500 pop automatic in the color coffee brown. Now personally I wish I got the abarth, I'm not sure why I didn't test drive it prior to my purchase but what's done is done. My pop is cute, it's practical I average 29.6 mpg with tires low tire pressure light on, to 34 mpg with good road and weather conditions. My best mpg for around town mixed with freeway was 39mpg! That was done after I washed my car and engine bay. So mpg is reasonable, gas cost for me $20-24 depending where I go to fill up. Yes that is all I pay at the pumps for a full tank of gas! :) after 1 year of owning the car I started to lose a hubcap, so I took them all off and saved them. Car looks better without hub caps :) size of the car is awesome! I can fit in any parking spot, I can get in and out of traffic with ease, people let me merge into lanes because my car is so small, and most other fiat drivers are super nice! I do any repairs myself minus oil changes I pay for full synthetic and it cost me around $100, every 5,000 miles. Charlie Brown my car, has not given me any issues since I purchased it brand new in November of 2014. I have about 19k miles on it. I always feel safe driving it, sure I can't beat my fiancées VW golf TDI off the line, but Charlie always gets me where I need to go, and never lets me down. So what I don't like about the car is the cup holders! They annoy me, I can't get to large cups from McDonald's to sit perfectly next to each other. :( I feel the layout of the cup holders could have been better thought out, the sun visors or a bit short and don't always block out the sun, but adjust your seat to a higher level and it works out ok. The arm rest my pop only came with one! Um... Yea, there is a fix to this an aftermarket arm rest that can be installed, but you lose your cup holders in the back part of the car doing this. One cool and safe feature is if it's raining and your backing up, your rear window wiper automatically starts to clear the back window allowing you to see where your going! Smart thinking Fiat! I have programmed all my doors to unlock with just one touch of the Key FOB. Radio works great, the car heater and ax works superb! Seeing that the car is so small it doesn't Take much to cool or heat up. So in closing, I have a love hate relationship with my car, more love than hate, would I buy the car again? Heck yes! It's cheap to own, easy to fix although nothing has broken yet for me I have installed a few extra gadgets for the car like hydraulic support arms for my hood. Replacement engines cost about a grand sometimes less. I plan to own this car till the frame falls apart lol I'll replace the engines when the time comes. I think for what it's worth this is a great first car, collage bound car for your child, good for retired people, not to family friendly due to size but if you had to, you could. I'll give this car an 8/10 for overall satisfaction! Thanks for reading, don't let the little things like cup holders get to you, just work with it every car has its flaw. Take care of your car, and it will take care of you.

Don't buy a Fiat
By Sue G

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy a Fiat because they don't stand behind their products!!!!! I purchased a used 2012 Fiat Pop May of 2014. In June of 2014 it needed a new purge valve solenoid and had a rotted transmission ground strap. The vehicle at that time had 54,274 miles on it. It had to go to the dealership in Johnston RI to be repaired. In December 2015 I had to replace a broken motor mount. My mechanic also stated that the control arm needs to be replaced. He called the dealership in Johnston RI and was told the parts on the 2012 control arm had been replaced with what the 2013 Fiat has because of poor engineering and that we would have to buy 2 lower ball joints, axles and knuckle bearings. The cost 1,800 not including labor. He asked if it was a recall and was told it was not. They advised him that if the vehicle was still under warranty and under 60,000 miles they would cover it. My anger comes from that vehicle would have been covered had the dealership done the right thing when the car was there in 2014. They knew at that time those parts were faulty. January I broke down and needed to be towed because of the Alternator and battery. February I need a thermostat, sensor and housing. What next???? I called Fiat to complain and all they could say over and over again “The cost of parts denied and the vehicle is out of warranty””!!!! I'm not asking about reimbursement on all the other repairs. They just need to do the right thing and stand behind the faulty parts when they knew it was an issue. Not to mention you can only get the parts from the dealership and they are rude and difficult to deal with. The cost I just shelled out for the alternator 389.70 and battery 155.69. Total for that repair with labor 741.98. I purchased the vehicle for 9,000 after my trade in. I am so angry I just want to get rid of this vehicle but can’t. I still owe 6,000 on it and when I looked up the Kelly blue book the car is worth 3,000. All I want is for them to repair this control arm issue with no cost to me and they won’t!!!!! Learn from me and before you buy do lots of research. The parts are very expensive and the dealership and customer service are sneaky and very rude to deal with.

Coming up on 4 yrs of ownership
By KenN

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car, but hate the quality - and depreciation. Purchased new for HS graduate in May 2012. Rear bumper reflector just dropped off randomly - covered under warranty. Shift knob top broke off - covered under warranty. Steering clunk - tightened but not replaced with correct new intermediate shaft under warranty - clunk is back, but now 2 thousand miles out of warranty. Arm rest broke - cushion fell off - fixed my self with gorilla glue. Sun roof does not work - and pealed paint on strip in front of sun roof ( for over 20 months ) - but out of warranty - as I had no access to car since daughter had it at college. I am deathly afraid the clutch will die per other reviews - we have 54000 miles on the car. I do my own oil and filter changes as dealership service shop is only open during week and my daughter only comes home on weekends.

Having said all that - the car is fun to drive with great brakes and decent enough acceleration for a guy who grew up in a time when zero to 60 in 10 seconds was considered fast. I asked dealership to make me an offer for trade in to purchase a used car off the lot ( Korean or Japanese ) - and even they don't want the car. NO offer. Paid 21K for it and now worth less than 7 K I expect for trade in. The Bose stereo is awesome. Gas mileage driving highway is above 38 mpg at 75 mph, so decent - but bigger cars get that now days. Would I buy again - no - way - ... will I keep it - probably will take it over and keep as 3rd car.

I'm 6 foot 2 and just barely stay under the (broken) sunroof - so I can live with it - driving position is strange, but I am used to it. I like the car - I hate the quality and/or lack of responsibility by Fiat / Chrysler for standing behind the product for the following issues - Steering rack clunk / Paint peeling / arm rest - can't comment on the Sun Roof other than I read it was glued in from the interior and there is no way I'm paying for that repair.