Used 2012 FIAT 500 C Pop Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

25K Trouble free miles and smiles...
By markus1963

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our new 2012 500C (5MT) from Fullerton Fiat, NJ and could not be happier. The car has performed flawlessly over the past two years. After trading in our Mini Cooper S, we purchased a white body with red top combination Pop. The only services required have been the regular oil/filter changes and tire rotation.

Safety-wise, having full front, curtain, thorax and knee airbags in a convertible still amazes me. Suspension-wise, the 500 is very comfortable, even over choppy pavement. Design-wise, we know the car has a fun personality. What we discovered later and to our delight, was the reaction the car has everywhere we go. It is a smile on wheels. To date, 30 total strangers (all friendly) have come up to us and asked questions about the 500C. Who would think metal, plastic and glass could evoke such a positive emotional reaction? This interaction and community is our favorite feature of the 500C.

The original Firestone tires only lasted 25,000 miles. They were also woefully bad in the snow. I purchased Nokian R2 snow tires. Now the 500C is a snow mobile.

So Far so good
By carlonz

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2012 pop c in February 2013 for my wife. She thought it was a great looking car and we were trading a Mini Cooper. We only have 3000 miles on it so it's hard to say it has been a great car. We have had to have the headliner replaced already - really, the headliner... Anyway, my wife still likes the car. It gets good gas mileage although she doesn't drive it often. Interior parts are cheap plastic but we haven't had anything break yet. Service department is OK to deal with, BUT my one major complaint so far is that FIAT doesn't offer courtesy cars to drive if they have to keep your car which is different from any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Overall look of the car and the convertible model.

It is priced for nostalgia, not quality and since they don't sell as many as they build, you can get HUGE discounts on previous year models which kills the resale value.

loved my FIAt...for first 5 months...hated Chrysler/Bob Baker Carlsbad :(
By chiariello

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

bought brand new car, only 3K miles, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't...not a good feature in a car! at first dealer suggested I was doing something wrong, but after having it towed 3 X, they finally realized I wasn't making this up. It was there for 2 months, I asked them finally for replacement (lemon law, which my car, which was sadly the case) so they dragged their feet for another month, plus charged me for mileage on the poor car they sold me. It was extortion, but after 3 months I paid it just to get a car....I don't think the service dept was at fault, they simply couldn't figure out what's wrong, but the dealer didn't help us at all, and Chrysler was even worse.

love the car, hated the treatment we got after we had problems! so many people used to ask me about my car, I used to say I love it...now I tell them what happened at Bob Baker....they charged us almost $1000, after telling us they would replace the vehicle, since it was defective...don't buy anything there unless u want to get ripped off

Shop somewhere else. I wish we had! After 3 months of problems, the service dept told us they would replace our vehicle, I was told we could have money back or replacement...to me replacement means that, not so for Bob Baker. The lady at impartial service dept ( she said she worked for Chrysler, so she really wasn't impartial) said we had $20,700 credit, so we chose a vehicle that was identical to the one we bought for $19.500. U would think we would get $1200 back, but instead the dealer worked it out so we pd $924. They made $ off our lemon!

Fun to look and drive, but too many problems
By vince_

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Too many issues for a new car, even if they fix all the problems for free. I like the car, it performs as expected. It is a city car, easy to park, drives very well from 0-40, and able to handle the highway. The convertible top makes for a fun summer drive. I get great mileage, 31 in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic, if I take it easy I have no problems surpassing the est highway and getting 41. So far I have had two ignition coils go bad, one resulting in being stranded. The radio failed to work when very cold, and now 1/2 the climate controls have gone dark. They have fixed all the problems free of charge, but the longer I own it the more I fear "What next will go wrong?

Convertible top, easy access to the small trunk from the cabin. The small size of the car. Surprisingly good use of space for the size of the car.

The transmission column takes leg room that knees could use. Seats are not the best for long trips. Armrest is made without padding that will last, if you use it. Plastic interior on the doors dent and chip easily.

5-STARS for the 500
By bill_s_in_az

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2.5 months 2300 miles 40.7mpg on 87Octane Had to adjust the headlights downward, but that was the only issue. Rado/CD/USB media/Bluetooth all work great! ECO Drive download to PC to monitor efficiency is nice if you want to save the universe. Key fob remote range is very short :( 5M trans very easy to use even in stop light traffic. Cold AC! My F-150 (17.5mpg) sits while I cruise all over town. I used to consume 2 gallons a day, so now I'll save enough to break even at initial cost, current driving distance, and gas prices-- all in about 16 years, but it will be so much fun!!!

The USB/3.5mm connection port handles up to 32GB of WMA or MP3 music files. Locking passender side door locks the trunk which has a surprisingly huge capacity for a case of 16 oz water bottles and all the rest of the groceries. Backup inteference BEEP warning a nice feature in and "economy" car.

Put note in drivers manual, "If you experience rear visual difficulty with the convertible roof in the full open position, please raise the roof to see through the glass rear window. You may then return the roof to the full down position when you desire!"