2012 FIAT 500 C Pop Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Why me!!!
By nalder620

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

700 characters...not enough. Since day one, this car has been the most unreliable piece of poop I have ever owned. Fiat Canada has washed their hands of me, but i have decided to make all know, DO NOT BUY A FIAT!!! New transmission, new suspension, new clutch bearings, new PCM computer, rattling all over, paint peeling, lights burning out all over the place, 35 trips to the dealer and problems that they can not even fix after 8 tries!!! My car sounds like it want to start, but does not catch, have to do everything from the beginning and will start on the second shot! Thank goodness I bought a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty!!! I feel bad for those that only had a 3 year warranty :(.

Favorite Features

I love the look and the fuel economy, when the car drives at 100km/h, but over that, very normal and nothing special at all. At 120km/h, good luck getting 500km to the tank. Stereo is alright, but cannot be upgraded very easily. Leather is nice, but is showing major wear after only three years. Paint is very thin coats, maybe two or three max. I think they used water colours that wash off in the rain! Head rests ned to be replaced with rocks!!! Service has been great at the dealer, but repairing the car requires a dart board to figure out how to do so!!! Links repaired 4 times so far! rattling twice, every repair more than once or twice or five times!!!

Suggested Improvements

Take better care of customers when they buy the biggest lemon on North America!!! Purchase car from customer and replace with a new one. I will be blogging about negative aspects again soon and I will create a website devoted to angry Fiat owners, we will stand up and fight for the right to be taken seriously when we buy a lemon Chrysler product.

Great value but some issues
By Kristina Colpitts

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the retro look and feel, the interior is gorgeous but there are a few issues with my 3 yr old 50,000KM 500C. I bought it 3 years old and a few days ago I've started to hear some creaking noises on the passenger side and back, sounds almost like the plastic on the doors is not put together tightly... I can't figure out what it is exactly but it's SUPER annoying.

25K Trouble free miles and smiles...
By markus1963

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our new 2012 500C (5MT) from Fullerton Fiat, NJ and could not be happier. The car has performed flawlessly over the past two years. After trading in our Mini Cooper S, we purchased a white body with red top combination Pop. The only services required have been the regular oil/filter changes and tire rotation.

Favorite Features

Safety-wise, having full front, curtain, thorax and knee airbags in a convertible still amazes me. Suspension-wise, the 500 is very comfortable, even over choppy pavement. Design-wise, we know the car has a fun personality. What we discovered later and to our delight, was the reaction the car has everywhere we go. It is a smile on wheels. To date, 30 total strangers (all friendly) have come up to us and asked questions about the 500C. Who would think metal, plastic and glass could evoke such a positive emotional reaction? This interaction and community is our favorite feature of the 500C.

Suggested Improvements

The original Firestone tires only lasted 25,000 miles. They were also woefully bad in the snow. I purchased Nokian R2 snow tires. Now the 500C is a snow mobile.

So Far so good
By carlonz

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2012 pop c in February 2013 for my wife. She thought it was a great looking car and we were trading a Mini Cooper. We only have 3000 miles on it so it's hard to say it has been a great car. We have had to have the headliner replaced already - really, the headliner... Anyway, my wife still likes the car. It gets good gas mileage although she doesn't drive it often. Interior parts are cheap plastic but we haven't had anything break yet. Service department is OK to deal with, BUT my one major complaint so far is that FIAT doesn't offer courtesy cars to drive if they have to keep your car which is different from any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Favorite Features

Overall look of the car and the convertible model.

Suggested Improvements

It is priced for nostalgia, not quality and since they don't sell as many as they build, you can get HUGE discounts on previous year models which kills the resale value.

Love It
By joshproducts

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Fiat 500c last Jan. We have had no problems with our fiat at all. We have gone to Az, Tenn 3x's, and back to Pa three times. Love it great gas mileage. Only one thing has popped up in the back seat there is a radling going on not sure what it is. But its not a big thing. We want to trade it in for the 500L now. Not that we don't like our 500c but we want more room for traveling.

loved my FIAt...for first 5 months...hated Chrysler/Bob Baker Carlsbad :(
By chiariello

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

bought brand new car, only 3K miles, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't...not a good feature in a car! at first dealer suggested I was doing something wrong, but after having it towed 3 X, they finally realized I wasn't making this up. It was there for 2 months, I asked them finally for replacement (lemon law, which my car, which was sadly the case) so they dragged their feet for another month, plus charged me for mileage on the poor car they sold me. It was extortion, but after 3 months I paid it just to get a car....I don't think the service dept was at fault, they simply couldn't figure out what's wrong, but the dealer didn't help us at all, and Chrysler was even worse.

Favorite Features

love the car, hated the treatment we got after we had problems! so many people used to ask me about my car, I used to say I love it...now I tell them what happened at Bob Baker....they charged us almost $1000, after telling us they would replace the vehicle, since it was defective...don't buy anything there unless u want to get ripped off

Suggested Improvements

Shop somewhere else. I wish we had! After 3 months of problems, the service dept told us they would replace our vehicle, I was told we could have money back or replacement...to me replacement means that, not so for Bob Baker. The lady at impartial service dept ( she said she worked for Chrysler, so she really wasn't impartial) said we had $20,700 credit, so we chose a vehicle that was identical to the one we bought for $19.500. U would think we would get $1200 back, but instead the dealer worked it out so we pd $924. They made $ off our lemon!

Silly, Crazy FUN!! I am sooo in love!
By flygrl

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Are you kidding me? I love this car so much. I keep my cars for years...I had an 82 Rabbit Convertible for 17yrs and a 99 Beetle for 14yrs. I obviously love fun cars. The minute i test drove this car I was hooked. I only drive manual transmissions, so I am only speaking about manual Fiat 500c. I feel like I am in a Fellini movie, everytime I get behind the wheel. People keep talking to me at every stop light. If you don't like lots of attention...don't purchase one. It is a cute little race car. There is a button for SPORT mode...this gives you an option for RPMS. I am a flight attendant, so I don't drive too much. When i do drive I want something that makes me smile. This is a GEM!

Favorite Features

4yr 50,000 warranty!! Bluetooth/smart phone features. I hook up my iphone (Pandora) amazing sound. Talk on my phone with hands free button. Pistachio green is so Italian!! Ivory interior is gorgeous. SPORT button turns manual transmission into a Ferrari! (kidding) It is really fast. Rag top convertible can be raised and lowered while driving, with push button ease. Making friends wherever I go. Silly, crazy fun! She is an Italian darling. Retro colors and interior , so 60s!

Suggested Improvements

I am slightly annoyed by all the people following me and asking questions. I wish there was a feature for that.

Fun to look and drive, but too many problems
By vince_

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Too many issues for a new car, even if they fix all the problems for free. I like the car, it performs as expected. It is a city car, easy to park, drives very well from 0-40, and able to handle the highway. The convertible top makes for a fun summer drive. I get great mileage, 31 in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic, if I take it easy I have no problems surpassing the est highway and getting 41. So far I have had two ignition coils go bad, one resulting in being stranded. The radio failed to work when very cold, and now 1/2 the climate controls have gone dark. They have fixed all the problems free of charge, but the longer I own it the more I fear "What next will go wrong?

Favorite Features

Convertible top, easy access to the small trunk from the cabin. The small size of the car. Surprisingly good use of space for the size of the car.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission column takes leg room that knees could use. Seats are not the best for long trips. Armrest is made without padding that will last, if you use it. Plastic interior on the doors dent and chip easily.

5-STARS for the 500
By bill_s_in_az

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2.5 months 2300 miles 40.7mpg on 87Octane Had to adjust the headlights downward, but that was the only issue. Rado/CD/USB media/Bluetooth all work great! ECO Drive download to PC to monitor efficiency is nice if you want to save the universe. Key fob remote range is very short :( 5M trans very easy to use even in stop light traffic. Cold AC! My F-150 (17.5mpg) sits while I cruise all over town. I used to consume 2 gallons a day, so now I'll save enough to break even at initial cost, current driving distance, and gas prices-- all in about 16 years, but it will be so much fun!!!

Favorite Features

The USB/3.5mm connection port handles up to 32GB of WMA or MP3 music files. Locking passender side door locks the trunk which has a surprisingly huge capacity for a case of 16 oz water bottles and all the rest of the groceries. Backup inteference BEEP warning a nice feature in and "economy" car.

Suggested Improvements

Put note in drivers manual, "If you experience rear visual difficulty with the convertible roof in the full open position, please raise the roof to see through the glass rear window. You may then return the roof to the full down position when you desire!"

Quick, Nimble and Fun Ride
By peden500c

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the 500C in November and have driven 6,000 with no problems. The rides comfortably, is very nimble and accelerates nicely to stay with the traffic. It is not a race car but very sporty. This car cruises the highway at 75 mph and accelerates well throughout the entire range of the speedometer. Driver visibility is excellent as the car sits higher than others of it's size. Front seats accomodate all but the largest passengers. Rear seats are cramped for adults but just right for kids. This is a very fun car to drive and park. It's also easy to get in and out due to its height. Overall the car seems well made and we have had no maintenance issues.

Favorite Features

We love the convertible top. It's easy to open and close. We use it all the time down here in Texas. You can also open and close the roof while driving as long as your speed in under 60 mph. The car feels very solid and the doors and lids are fit tight. The electronics are nice with bluetooth and radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Only minor suggestions for improvements: The doors will close on you in a strong wind or if you push them too hard when opening from the inside. My wife has complained about the lack of a left arm rest for the front passenger. The drivers seat does have a right arm rest. The convertible has very little storage in the trunk space. Hardtops have much more. I was surprised to find a plastic gas lid and oil filter housing.