Used 2012 FIAT 500 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Why me!!!
By nalder620

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

700 characters...not enough. Since day one, this car has been the most unreliable piece of poop I have ever owned. Fiat Canada has washed their hands of me, but i have decided to make all know, DO NOT BUY A FIAT!!! New transmission, new suspension, new clutch bearings, new PCM computer, rattling all over, paint peeling, lights burning out all over the place, 35 trips to the dealer and problems that they can not even fix after 8 tries!!! My car sounds like it want to start, but does not catch, have to do everything from the beginning and will start on the second shot! Thank goodness I bought a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty!!! I feel bad for those that only had a 3 year warranty :(.

Favorite Features

I love the look and the fuel economy, when the car drives at 100km/h, but over that, very normal and nothing special at all. At 120km/h, good luck getting 500km to the tank. Stereo is alright, but cannot be upgraded very easily. Leather is nice, but is showing major wear after only three years. Paint is very thin coats, maybe two or three max. I think they used water colours that wash off in the rain! Head rests ned to be replaced with rocks!!! Service has been great at the dealer, but repairing the car requires a dart board to figure out how to do so!!! Links repaired 4 times so far! rattling twice, every repair more than once or twice or five times!!!

Suggested Improvements

Take better care of customers when they buy the biggest lemon on North America!!! Purchase car from customer and replace with a new one. I will be blogging about negative aspects again soon and I will create a website devoted to angry Fiat owners, we will stand up and fight for the right to be taken seriously when we buy a lemon Chrysler product.

Great value but some issues
By Kristina Colpitts

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the retro look and feel, the interior is gorgeous but there are a few issues with my 3 yr old 50,000KM 500C. I bought it 3 years old and a few days ago I've started to hear some creaking noises on the passenger side and back, sounds almost like the plastic on the doors is not put together tightly... I can't figure out what it is exactly but it's SUPER annoying.

So Far so good
By carlonz

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2012 pop c in February 2013 for my wife. She thought it was a great looking car and we were trading a Mini Cooper. We only have 3000 miles on it so it's hard to say it has been a great car. We have had to have the headliner replaced already - really, the headliner... Anyway, my wife still likes the car. It gets good gas mileage although she doesn't drive it often. Interior parts are cheap plastic but we haven't had anything break yet. Service department is OK to deal with, BUT my one major complaint so far is that FIAT doesn't offer courtesy cars to drive if they have to keep your car which is different from any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Favorite Features

Overall look of the car and the convertible model.

Suggested Improvements

It is priced for nostalgia, not quality and since they don't sell as many as they build, you can get HUGE discounts on previous year models which kills the resale value.

Love It
By joshproducts

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Fiat 500c last Jan. We have had no problems with our fiat at all. We have gone to Az, Tenn 3x's, and back to Pa three times. Love it great gas mileage. Only one thing has popped up in the back seat there is a radling going on not sure what it is. But its not a big thing. We want to trade it in for the 500L now. Not that we don't like our 500c but we want more room for traveling.

loved my FIAt...for first 5 months...hated Chrysler/Bob Baker Carlsbad :(
By chiariello

2012 FIAT 500 Convertible C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

bought brand new car, only 3K miles, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't...not a good feature in a car! at first dealer suggested I was doing something wrong, but after having it towed 3 X, they finally realized I wasn't making this up. It was there for 2 months, I asked them finally for replacement (lemon law, which my car, which was sadly the case) so they dragged their feet for another month, plus charged me for mileage on the poor car they sold me. It was extortion, but after 3 months I paid it just to get a car....I don't think the service dept was at fault, they simply couldn't figure out what's wrong, but the dealer didn't help us at all, and Chrysler was even worse.

Favorite Features

love the car, hated the treatment we got after we had problems! so many people used to ask me about my car, I used to say I love it...now I tell them what happened at Bob Baker....they charged us almost $1000, after telling us they would replace the vehicle, since it was defective...don't buy anything there unless u want to get ripped off

Suggested Improvements

Shop somewhere else. I wish we had! After 3 months of problems, the service dept told us they would replace our vehicle, I was told we could have money back or replacement...to me replacement means that, not so for Bob Baker. The lady at impartial service dept ( she said she worked for Chrysler, so she really wasn't impartial) said we had $20,700 credit, so we chose a vehicle that was identical to the one we bought for $19.500. U would think we would get $1200 back, but instead the dealer worked it out so we pd $924. They made $ off our lemon!