2012 FIAT 500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:
WARNING - Dangerous vehicle
By wikolia on 03/27/14 05:27 AM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

while driving in left hand hand lane of I-95 in FL, (blood alley) the engine shut down and I had to drift over 2 lanes to the hard shoulder. got towed to dealership where the valve actuator, camshaft and generator had to be replaced. this vehicle had only 6000 miles on it. after NO help from dealership or FIAT corporate office I have no faith in this brand at all. I'm lucky to be alive. please note this is an automatic vehicle. there was no option for automatic in the dropdown menu.

One of the best I've ever owned
By robhmass on 09/12/13 16:30 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with optional alloy wheels, sunroof, and a couple of other options in April 2012. Got a great price. Had the car now for 17 months & have driven 38,000 miles with no mechanical problems. There was a service bulletin recall concerning ungrounded starter bolts which the dealership fixed promptly along with a blown bi-halogen headlight(probably related to the ungrounded starter bolts). However, service tech did not unhook the battery while replacing starter bolts and shorted out the climate control panel. So, now, the car is back @ the dealer to replace this. Dealer did give a loaner. Absolutely no other issues. Car is great on gas(38-40mpg mostly highway) and fun, fun to drive.

Fiat 500-The City Dweller
By heiliner1 on 04/24/13 17:37 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Our household has two 2012 Fiat 500 Pops, 20 serial numbers apart. Both vehicles have around 2000 miles on them. On one vehicle the oxygen sensor has failed. On the other vehicle the glove box is out of alignment. We bought these Fiats because they are cute, easy to get in and out of, easy to park, and had low initial purchase prices. Considering the standard features there wasn't another car in that size range that offered as much.

CUTE! I LOVE IT!
By skuzziboi1 on 12/02/12 21:57 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

So I was pretty stoked when I bought this car, its way cute and fun to drive! The only issue I have with it are the very cheap interior fixtures. A common breaking item is the armrest, yeah, dealer said its a common issue and is covered under warranty, havent taken it in just yet so well see for sure later. Also, the under seat drawer handel broke on me :-/ I was very dissappointed to find that the Pop Models do not come equipped with Blue&Me, even though edmunds states that its a standard feature. Also if you squeen the upper lining of the cabin, it feels literally like its made of egg cartons and cheap felt :-( needless to say, super CUTE car at a great price, sucky cheap interior.

The Design Standard City Car
By dwink9909 on 08/31/12 19:05 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I only have a few hundred miles on my Fiat 500 Pop hatchback, but my initial impression and every bit of available research and feedback tell me that Fiat has hit the mark with this Americanized version of their hit European city car. Even at 6' 5" and 240 pounds, I fit easily in the cabin and like everything about the driving and pedal positions, clutch, shifter, steering and all the features, from steering wheel controls to "sport" mode selection. My Fiat handles well, both at highway speed and close quarters city driving. It reminds me of my 1970 VW Beetle, but with modern handling technology and almost twice the horsepower. Like the Beetle, it's an incredible bargain as well.

Feeling Regret
By kiehen on 05/30/12 21:26 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Back in June of 2011 when I bought my 500, I can't even tell you how excited I was. I had been waiting for these to hit the States for several years. Loved (and still do love) the retro look. Efficient and fun to drive? Most definitely. Quality is where the 500 falls short. I understand cheap materials. Those are to be expected. The unexpected? I just scheduled my 8th service visit. It pains me to say that I have started looking at the best way to get rid of this car with the least amount of loss. With 13,000 miles on it, it acts like a car with 100,000, and that simply doesn't work. Amazing concept, questionable execution. Wish it weren't so! My dealer's attitude is no help.

8000 First oil filter change
By cuda213 on 04/26/12 17:21 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Red POP,red white interior and stick. 6 months in use. Very happy. Reliable, no issues, none! Confy ride. Gas,gas,gas hapiness. Only drawback, chicks keep stopping and asking me about it, hehehe.

Open Body Seams During Manufacture
By jchasp59 on 03/01/12 07:30 AM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my new, 2012 Fiat 500 Pop on 12/22/2011. Three days after purchase, I noticed an interior water leak and returned the car to the dealer. The dealer found that the cause of the leaks were, "body seams that were left open, unwelded and unpainted during manufacture." Got the car back after 23 days in the shop. That day, I noticed electrical problems and that the leak wasn't repaired. Returned it to the shop More open body seams were found around the windshield. I requested a replacement. Fiat agreed. The dealership acquired my replacement on 02/10/2012, but has yet to get it to me (03/01). My Fiat Case Manager is Kathy Nelson, but I have no way to contact her. I regret my purchase.

That happy Italian feeling
By sruczko on 02/08/12 02:44 AM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Elantra for the FIAT and so far I'm extremely pleased with the car. It is a very coherent design, with everything I need and nothing I don't. I'm tall (6'5") with long legs and the Pop without sunroof fits me perfectly. A very tight little car with peppy performance IF you understand how/when to upshift and downshift to take advantage of the small engine. I have a base car with no options except alloy wheels and I'm amazed at all the features FIAT built into this car.

And she'll have fun, fun, fun.....
By calicurls on 12/30/11 19:51 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. I was looking for something small, easy on gas, budget friendly, and fun- Fiat fits the bill! I had read that the manual gets better MPG, so took the time to learn manual (automatic drive is like spellcheck, no one 27 and under has ever had to live without it). The clutch on this car is incredibly light, but once you get used to it, is a total blast. The base model comes with a lot of standard features, and the blue&me system is fantastic. The car turns on a dime, and for having such a small engine is actually really zippy. Even though its tiny, it feels spacious- my 'big man' friends have no problem getting in and out of the car. I couldn't be happier with this!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 FIAT 500 in WA is:

$166 per month*