Used 2012 FIAT 500 Pop Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Charlie Brown
By Joel Rice

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Let me first say I bought my 2015 Fiat pop on a whim, I didn't need the car, I had a Dodge Journey RT and loved it but honestly I wanted to see if my bank would allow me to have a second car they did! So I bought my Fiat 500 pop automatic in the color coffee brown. Now personally I wish I got the abarth, I'm not sure why I didn't test drive it prior to my purchase but what's done is done. My pop is cute, it's practical I average 29.6 mpg with tires low tire pressure light on, to 34 mpg with good road and weather conditions. My best mpg for around town mixed with freeway was 39mpg! That was done after I washed my car and engine bay. So mpg is reasonable, gas cost for me $20-24 depending where I go to fill up. Yes that is all I pay at the pumps for a full tank of gas! :) after 1 year of owning the car I started to lose a hubcap, so I took them all off and saved them. Car looks better without hub caps :) size of the car is awesome! I can fit in any parking spot, I can get in and out of traffic with ease, people let me merge into lanes because my car is so small, and most other fiat drivers are super nice! I do any repairs myself minus oil changes I pay for full synthetic and it cost me around $100, every 5,000 miles. Charlie Brown my car, has not given me any issues since I purchased it brand new in November of 2014. I have about 19k miles on it. I always feel safe driving it, sure I can't beat my fiancées VW golf TDI off the line, but Charlie always gets me where I need to go, and never lets me down. So what I don't like about the car is the cup holders! They annoy me, I can't get to large cups from McDonald's to sit perfectly next to each other. :( I feel the layout of the cup holders could have been better thought out, the sun visors or a bit short and don't always block out the sun, but adjust your seat to a higher level and it works out ok. The arm rest my pop only came with one! Um... Yea, there is a fix to this an aftermarket arm rest that can be installed, but you lose your cup holders in the back part of the car doing this. One cool and safe feature is if it's raining and your backing up, your rear window wiper automatically starts to clear the back window allowing you to see where your going! Smart thinking Fiat! I have programmed all my doors to unlock with just one touch of the Key FOB. Radio works great, the car heater and ax works superb! Seeing that the car is so small it doesn't Take much to cool or heat up. So in closing, I have a love hate relationship with my car, more love than hate, would I buy the car again? Heck yes! It's cheap to own, easy to fix although nothing has broken yet for me I have installed a few extra gadgets for the car like hydraulic support arms for my hood. Replacement engines cost about a grand sometimes less. I plan to own this car till the frame falls apart lol I'll replace the engines when the time comes. I think for what it's worth this is a great first car, collage bound car for your child, good for retired people, not to family friendly due to size but if you had to, you could. I'll give this car an 8/10 for overall satisfaction! Thanks for reading, don't let the little things like cup holders get to you, just work with it every car has its flaw. Take care of your car, and it will take care of you.

Don't buy a Fiat
By Sue G

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy a Fiat because they don't stand behind their products!!!!! I purchased a used 2012 Fiat Pop May of 2014. In June of 2014 it needed a new purge valve solenoid and had a rotted transmission ground strap. The vehicle at that time had 54,274 miles on it. It had to go to the dealership in Johnston RI to be repaired. In December 2015 I had to replace a broken motor mount. My mechanic also stated that the control arm needs to be replaced. He called the dealership in Johnston RI and was told the parts on the 2012 control arm had been replaced with what the 2013 Fiat has because of poor engineering and that we would have to buy 2 lower ball joints, axles and knuckle bearings. The cost 1,800 not including labor. He asked if it was a recall and was told it was not. They advised him that if the vehicle was still under warranty and under 60,000 miles they would cover it. My anger comes from that vehicle would have been covered had the dealership done the right thing when the car was there in 2014. They knew at that time those parts were faulty. January I broke down and needed to be towed because of the Alternator and battery. February I need a thermostat, sensor and housing. What next???? I called Fiat to complain and all they could say over and over again “The cost of parts denied and the vehicle is out of warranty””!!!! I'm not asking about reimbursement on all the other repairs. They just need to do the right thing and stand behind the faulty parts when they knew it was an issue. Not to mention you can only get the parts from the dealership and they are rude and difficult to deal with. The cost I just shelled out for the alternator 389.70 and battery 155.69. Total for that repair with labor 741.98. I purchased the vehicle for 9,000 after my trade in. I am so angry I just want to get rid of this vehicle but can’t. I still owe 6,000 on it and when I looked up the Kelly blue book the car is worth 3,000. All I want is for them to repair this control arm issue with no cost to me and they won’t!!!!! Learn from me and before you buy do lots of research. The parts are very expensive and the dealership and customer service are sneaky and very rude to deal with.

Originally Excited, Now Regretting Purchase
By C@

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2012 Fiat: 43,208 miles - Automatic Trans.
Purchased July/August 2014 from a seedy local dealership whom can't be held accountable for this "Lemon".

It drives GREAT, when it's working but I live in the U.P. of Michigan. Hard winters are common and the car doesn't have much clearance (which I knew purchasing the car and wasn't worried). However, the digital displays do not work after 20 degrees (and in the winter that is normally -20 degrees). 25 minutes is usually how long i had to run the car to warm up the car enough for the digital displays to work properly (which wouldn't be bad except the accurate speedometer is digital).

When I first logged on to their online service/maintenance report- I had seen that it was in for electrical work (I believe) twice, and did not think anything of it at the time. However, around Thanksgiving of that same year I had to send my car to the car dealership in Traverse City for work to be done. I did not get my car back until late December 2015 because the parts were out of stock. The customer service department was very nice about the delay, and towing to the customer service department was paid by the Fiat brand because it was under warranty (I paid for bridge tolls $50.00). I had to make arrangements to get a ride to Traverse City to pick up my car because they were going to charge me to bring it back.

The dealership in this area that sold me the car, Fernelius Hyundai, would not help me in the slightest besides giving me a lender car for three days around Thanksgiving- they said it was my problem and I should be thankful for their generosity.

When I received my car it worked fine, but then in February of 2015 the same thing happened again. I received free towing to Traverse City, and I had to pay bridge tolls again. This time customer service in Traverse City said they couldn't find the problem, but it seemed to be working fine (my theory was that since it is warmer in Traverse City they didn't have the same issue).

Now it is January 2016, we had a warmer than normal winter. AGAIN, I have the same problem with my Fiat. I again will have to send it down to Traverse City to get it worked on, however, I don't believe it will fall under the 4 year warranty/50,000 miles. This means I will probably have to pay for the towing and bridge tolls out of pocket.

I cannot in good mind sell my car.

I believe Fernelius Hyundai knew of these problems.
I no longer have access to the previous service records on my car that I can tell. I believe I have no protection in this but want to try.
I can't believe there isn't a recall on my 2012 Fiat after having the same problem YEARLY.

Got a love it
By adam

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had it for almost 4 years now with little to no problems. Hand rest broke had it taken care off. Use it mostly for a work commute and driving around the city. So far so good I enjoy it and best of all almost paid off. Thinking can get another 4 years out of it.

I Hate to Say It, But...
By Michelle Walsh

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

As much as I love it, it's got to go.

Bought used with about 40K miles on it. It's fun to drive, gets great mileage, and I had no complaints until I went to have the oil changed and the mechanic told me there were metal particles in the oil, and I shouldn't be driving it. I bought it from CarMax, who have been wonderful about dealing with this: ended up having to replace the engine (no cost to me), but when the car came back after being gone for a month, the antennae had been broken off (and not replaced) and one of my hubcaps was missing (again, CarMax is being great about repair/replacement).

Came out a week ago to drive to church, and the driver's side door handle came off in my hand. Not a big thing, but a) I live in Wisconsin, where it gets pretty cold, and it was very temperate the night before-not like it was well below freezing and therefore brittle, and b) This car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it yet.

I'm now wondering "what next" every time I get in the car to drive it. It makes me sad, because I've really loved this car. Too bad Fiat can't make something more reliable...