1997 Eagle Talon TSi - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Talon model:
18 years of fun
By mack_kenamond on 09/07/14 00:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

In case you didn't know, this car is virtually identical to the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. This family of cars is known as "DSM." I ordered my 1997 TSi AWD in October, 1996. It was my first new car. I still own it and doubt I'll ever sell it. I love this car! It has 113k miles at this point (Sept. 2014). The turbocharger let go at 80k miles (2006) and I took the opportunity to upgrade. I discovered DSMtuners website at that point and, over the years, became a "DSM Wiseman". I've done almost all of the work on this car myself ever since. The only issues I've had with this car in its 18 yr life have been the turbocharger and radiator hose. I've "rescued" others in deep snow many times.

Have to mod it
By Mikek on 01/29/10 07:42 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

97 talon tsi awd, Swapped a 1G (91) 6 bolt motor, Big FP T28 turbo, 750cc injectors, 95 eprom ecu and a chip, 3" turbo back exhaust. Greddy FMIC, This car is a rocket!! I run 18psi on pump 91 and has 280whp! when i cruise at 80mph i get 37mpg. This car should have came this way stock. I Love this car, so much more rare then a GSX. If you can find one BUY IT!!

AWD Bliss
By DarkPhoenix on 11/24/06 10:18 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Being a previous owner of DSMs, this is by far the best one ever built. Not only is it a competent handling car in dry weather, it handles even better in inclement weather. It's a little loud at anything above 60mph, and there are a few rattles in the interior, but what do you expect for a 10 year old car. The turbo spools nice and quick, never leaving me itching for power. The ride is one of the best for a sport coupe of it's caliber. The fact that it can hang with cars costing thousands more, and still return excellent fuel economy, makes this a great car!

Talon tsi
By god on 06/12/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Great car fun to drive fast as anything. Easy to put engine mods on for major hp gains.

Best Car I've Owned
By Stewart Gibb on 02/19/05 12:03 PM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought it after one drive because of the stability of the AWD and the mid range power. I've gotten over 30mpg on the highway. It gets it's best mileage at about 80. With the leather and all the options it is an elegant car that is always fun to drive.

great car
By RjH on 12/14/04 22:58 PM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

This is an amazing car. Mine crankwalked on me, but its getting fixed because I couldn't get rid of it. This thing is kind of heavy, and you feel it on an autocross course. It's pretty quick in a straight line and corners well, but in a slalom you can feel its weight. It is very comfortable to ride in (3 people and luggage, 5 hours to Ocean City, nobody complained) and gets decent gas mileage (about 28, hwy), but it drinks 93 octane. This is a great car, aside from the crankwalk issue, and I've recommended the TSi AWD or Eclipse GSX to several people.

Excellent Performer/ minor flaws
By Richard M. on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Performance is great as is aftermarket support for this model, all weaknesses have been found researched and most corrected. DO NOT PUT CHEAP TIRES or SUPER SOFT RACE RUBBER on these cars, they do eat tires up with the AWD, heavy weight, and power. The turbo is a little too small for maximum performance at high RPM,however it is more than enough for any commute,and provides Jet Fighter like thrust at low speeds (15 -45 mph) in traffic for excellent passing. about 30 mpg on highway at 80 mph

LOVE this car!!! :)
By Talia on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car can kick it! I have the AWD turbo and LOVE the performance! I live in the mountains and love to test it out as I'm never disappointed. ;) I was told when I bought it to take good care of it to avoid the previous years problems and have. I have not had ANY problems with this car yet. You have to replace the tires more often because they're performance, therefore softer, but you CAN get an all season that will last longer. It can also haul a totally full car load without difficulty. The A/C does detract slightly from performance, but not much.

Get Insurance That Covers Towing
By Sethsoccer on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Fun car, not the fasted though. Off the line its fast. The car is just to darn heavy, about 4,000 lbs. And they call that a sports car, come on. The celica i have (GTS, 6-speed) only is 2,700 lbs. Celicas are alot faster FYI. But I miss my AWD thats why im getting a new Subaru Impreza WRX. Now thats a nice car. That only comes in at about 3,000 lbs.

Get the turbo.
By irrelevant on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car will rock your face off. The most fun driving I've ever had is in this car. But, you have to get a turbo- charged model. The base models suck.