Used 1997 Eagle Talon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Eagle Talon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Talon model:

18 years of fun
By mack_kenamond

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

In case you didn't know, this car is virtually identical to the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. This family of cars is known as "DSM." I ordered my 1997 TSi AWD in October, 1996. It was my first new car. I still own it and doubt I'll ever sell it. I love this car! It has 113k miles at this point (Sept. 2014). The turbocharger let go at 80k miles (2006) and I took the opportunity to upgrade. I discovered DSMtuners website at that point and, over the years, became a "DSM Wiseman". I've done almost all of the work on this car myself ever since. The only issues I've had with this car in its 18 yr life have been the turbocharger and radiator hose. I've "rescued" others in deep snow many times.

Favorite Features

2.0l motor with 210+hp and AWD is great. There is a huge community of hobbyists for this model of car. The 4G63T powerplant is legendary! Fast and Furious was just the beginning for this platform. I've driven this car 1700 mi each way on road trips. It's comfortable enough for that and I have a bad lower back! The AWD is priceless! I've rescued my family and friends several times when their AWD vehicles got stuck in the snow...and this is a sports car! I've plowed through 3 feet of snow up hill, burying the headlights, but the car just keeps going! The appearance of the Talon is unique. There are countless Eclipses in the US, but I love my Talon!

Suggested Improvements

Not much to complain about. Bravo to the team who designed this. The lash adjusters clog and tick. Use the 3g version. The door panel control assembly bolts into plastic that fails over time. The headliner finally started delaminating after 18 years of windows-down driving. Placing the mass air sensor before the turbocharger requires an air-tight intake tract. A blow-through setup bypasses the problem. The 2gb plastic turbo bypass valve is inferior to the metal 1g unit; the nipple is likely to break leading to boost leaks and the unit does not hold up to anything more than 10-12psi boost. Given this list of complaints after 18 years of ownership, I feel guilty complaining at all.

Have to mod it
By Mikek

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

97 talon tsi awd, Swapped a 1G (91) 6 bolt motor, Big FP T28 turbo, 750cc injectors, 95 eprom ecu and a chip, 3" turbo back exhaust. Greddy FMIC, This car is a rocket!! I run 18psi on pump 91 and has 280whp! when i cruise at 80mph i get 37mpg. This car should have came this way stock. I Love this car, so much more rare then a GSX. If you can find one BUY IT!!

Favorite Features

AWD handling and launch, the sun roof is nice.

Suggested Improvements

1G 6 bolt swap. Big T28 from FP. 3" apexi exhaust but add a resonator, ACT street clutch, front mount intercooler, Power slot big brake kit,

AWD Bliss
By DarkPhoenix

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Being a previous owner of DSMs, this is by far the best one ever built. Not only is it a competent handling car in dry weather, it handles even better in inclement weather. It's a little loud at anything above 60mph, and there are a few rattles in the interior, but what do you expect for a 10 year old car. The turbo spools nice and quick, never leaving me itching for power. The ride is one of the best for a sport coupe of it's caliber. The fact that it can hang with cars costing thousands more, and still return excellent fuel economy, makes this a great car!

Favorite Features

Turbo and all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger brakes, and better fit and finish.

AWESOME CAR!
By Trisha

1997 Eagle Talon ESi 2dr Hatchback

This is a fantastic car! Not only is it fun to drive, but it is a head turner. I have had more compliments on this car than I have had on any other car I have owned. I haven't had any major repairs on this car. It has been very dependable. I love driving it. It is red with the black roof & spoiler, which is very sharp. I haven't seen very many on the road, & when I take it in for oil changes, the mechanics tell me they have never seen one in such good condition. I will keep this car until it just won't go anymore. I now have 55,000 miles on it & expect to put a lot more miles on it before it dies. I was disappointed to hear that 1998 was the last year for this car.

Favorite Features

I love the spoiler. It has the big one. I have seen some Talons with the small spoiler, & it just doesn't look as good. I love the look of the rear end, too.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of is the roof. If the window is down when it's raining & the wipers are on, the water is channeled so that it drips inside the car onto the seat.

Awesome Car!
By Patricia

1997 Eagle Talon ESi 2dr Hatchback

This car is the most fun car I have ever driven. I have never gotten stuck in the snow with this car. It handles the road wonderfully. It takes curves with ease. When I bought the car, it had 10,000 miles on it. Now it has 55,000 miles on it, & no problems. I will keep this car forever! I have never loved a car like I love my Eagle Talon Esi! This is truly an awesome car. I have had more compliments on this car than any other car I have had. It is definitely a head-turner. The black roof & spoiler & red body is a great color combination.

Favorite Features

I love the looks of the whole car, but the spoiler helps keep headlight glare out of my eyes at night! It has a sleek, sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

When it rains, the windows must be up, or the rain will come in.