1997 Eagle Talon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Talon model:
18 years of fun
By mack_kenamond on 09/07/14 00:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

In case you didn't know, this car is virtually identical to the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. This family of cars is known as "DSM." I ordered my 1997 TSi AWD in October, 1996. It was my first new car. I still own it and doubt I'll ever sell it. I love this car! It has 113k miles at this point (Sept. 2014). The turbocharger let go at 80k miles (2006) and I took the opportunity to upgrade. I discovered DSMtuners website at that point and, over the years, became a "DSM Wiseman". I've done almost all of the work on this car myself ever since. The only issues I've had with this car in its 18 yr life have been the turbocharger and radiator hose. I've "rescued" others in deep snow many times.

Have to mod it
By Mikek on 01/29/10 07:42 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

97 talon tsi awd, Swapped a 1G (91) 6 bolt motor, Big FP T28 turbo, 750cc injectors, 95 eprom ecu and a chip, 3" turbo back exhaust. Greddy FMIC, This car is a rocket!! I run 18psi on pump 91 and has 280whp! when i cruise at 80mph i get 37mpg. This car should have came this way stock. I Love this car, so much more rare then a GSX. If you can find one BUY IT!!

AWD Bliss
By DarkPhoenix on 11/24/06 10:18 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Being a previous owner of DSMs, this is by far the best one ever built. Not only is it a competent handling car in dry weather, it handles even better in inclement weather. It's a little loud at anything above 60mph, and there are a few rattles in the interior, but what do you expect for a 10 year old car. The turbo spools nice and quick, never leaving me itching for power. The ride is one of the best for a sport coupe of it's caliber. The fact that it can hang with cars costing thousands more, and still return excellent fuel economy, makes this a great car!

AWESOME CAR!
By Trisha on 12/14/05 20:47 PM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon ESi 2dr Hatchback

This is a fantastic car! Not only is it fun to drive, but it is a head turner. I have had more compliments on this car than I have had on any other car I have owned. I haven't had any major repairs on this car. It has been very dependable. I love driving it. It is red with the black roof & spoiler, which is very sharp. I haven't seen very many on the road, & when I take it in for oil changes, the mechanics tell me they have never seen one in such good condition. I will keep this car until it just won't go anymore. I now have 55,000 miles on it & expect to put a lot more miles on it before it dies. I was disappointed to hear that 1998 was the last year for this car.

Awesome Car!
By Patricia on 12/04/05 00:04 AM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon ESi 2dr Hatchback

This car is the most fun car I have ever driven. I have never gotten stuck in the snow with this car. It handles the road wonderfully. It takes curves with ease. When I bought the car, it had 10,000 miles on it. Now it has 55,000 miles on it, & no problems. I will keep this car forever! I have never loved a car like I love my Eagle Talon Esi! This is truly an awesome car. I have had more compliments on this car than any other car I have had. It is definitely a head-turner. The black roof & spoiler & red body is a great color combination.

Talon tsi
By god on 06/12/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

Great car fun to drive fast as anything. Easy to put engine mods on for major hp gains.

Not Bad.
By Paco on 02/19/05 14:20 PM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon 2dr Hatchback

Most people don't like these cars, think they are not reliable. They are reliable, and a great platform for upgrades, they just require a little more maintenance then most other cars. All in all, these cars are great, i'm a big fan of DSM cars, and Talons have great stlying and performance. The 420a engine is a great platform for upgrades, including turbo.

Best Car I've Owned
By Stewart Gibb on 02/19/05 12:03 PM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

I bought it after one drive because of the stability of the AWD and the mid range power. I've gotten over 30mpg on the highway. It gets it's best mileage at about 80. With the leather and all the options it is an elegant car that is always fun to drive.

great car
By RjH on 12/14/04 22:58 PM (PST)

1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo 2dr Hatchback AWD

This is an amazing car. Mine crankwalked on me, but its getting fixed because I couldn't get rid of it. This thing is kind of heavy, and you feel it on an autocross course. It's pretty quick in a straight line and corners well, but in a slalom you can feel its weight. It is very comfortable to ride in (3 people and luggage, 5 hours to Ocean City, nobody complained) and gets decent gas mileage (about 28, hwy), but it drinks 93 octane. This is a great car, aside from the crankwalk issue, and I've recommended the TSi AWD or Eclipse GSX to several people.

enjoyable
By strave on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Eagle Talon ESi 2dr Hatchback

for a four cylander with no turbo it is an exceptional car