Used 2004 Dodge Viper Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Viper - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Viper Convertible

SRT-10 8.3L V10 6-speed Manual - (45 reviews )

Nothing but smiles every time I drive it
By Wayne

2004 Dodge Viper Convertible SRT-10 2dr Roadster (8.3L 10cyl 6M)

The car is raw and does what it is designed for and that is go fast, turn fast, and stop fast. You must add Corsa catless track exhaust to get ride of the horrible UPS truck sound the factory exhaust makes and it frees up 40hp and get rid of all the drivers compartment and side sill heat problems. I have already modded mine to 600bhp 650tq and not ready to quit yet. Be forewarned once you buy a Viper the spending has just begun, The performance bug will hit and the viper tax is high when it come to viper performance parts, but worth it trust me. I could easily use mine as daily driver if I wanted to but its not a benz. Oh, best mod is MGW shorty shifter with low profile bezel.

Favorite Features

HID headlights (very bright), easily get 600bhp with minor bolt on mods, almost bullet proof drive train, seats are great, smart seal windows, brakes, power pedals, 6-disc CD, sound of Corsa exhaust under wide open throttle.

Suggested Improvements

I know its a race car but cruise would be nice and it would help with fuel economy, put foam liner and headliner on the conv. top, factory Michelin run flats stink, conv. top action (must raise trunk to put down top), cooling fans should be electric, built in radar detector should be standard too

Don t Settle For Less
By slypops

2004 Dodge Viper Convertible SRT-10 2dr Roadster (8.3L 10cyl 6M)

My oldest son traded an 07 Corvette for this car as he trades cars every few months. No problem. But he sold this car to me way under book just to keep in the family. I had no problem watching the Vette go (and the others) but down deep I knew this car was not leaving. If you didnt have a Shelby Cobra back when, (I didn t, but did have a college roommate with a hi po Ford in a Sunbeam tiger in 1970) this car is your passport to that feeling. And there are not many passports issued. I have a 1970 440 Challenger and I love the exhaust, but it's not the same.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Never realized I had none

Best Sports Car Value!
By Nowayforya

2004 Dodge Viper Convertible SRT-10 2dr Roadster (8.3L 10cyl 6M)

Power, brakes and handling are excellent. I have never enjoyed any car more than my Viper. If you like driving and want to have a blast, get a Viper!

Favorite Features

I like everything about the car but especially the WOW! factor

Suggested Improvements

None

X-Vette owner
By soundman

2004 Dodge Viper Convertible SRT-10 2dr Roadster (8.3L 10cyl 6M)

I have owned a lot of fast cars, mostly Corvettes. Some were stock, but most were pretty highly modified. I found that no matter how much I did to the Vettes they were still just Corvettes and people did not react like they do now when I drive my Viper. Dont get me wrong I love Corvettes and I drove the new 2006 Z06 but the top didn't come off and it looked like a standard Corvette with a body kit. The Viper on the other hand was the car I wish the Corvette had become. It reminds me of a modern version of my '69 427 Stingray, raw power, purely American and in-your-face attitude. Some say the Z06 is faster, maybe it is, maybe it isn't? As for me, I'll be saving up my money for the next Dodge Viper

Favorite Features

Style, attitude, engine noises, top down driving, and look on big and little kids faces when you pass by.

Suggested Improvements

Cooler running interior, sound system needs more power, and a more agressive sounding exhuast note.

Super Car
By Douglas C Miller PhD

2004 Dodge Viper Convertible SRT-10 2dr Roadster (8.3L 10cyl 6M)

I've had my all black Viper for almost a year now--just about at 10K miles. Performance is as expected-- unbelievable. I find it very comfortable as an everyday car but superb out on the road. My only complaints are how hot it gets once the engine is warm, particularly in traffic, and the poor gas mileage (but I expected that with this engine). It's not easy to fit in a tall passenger either, but at my height I'm very comfortable, and the driver's seat just hugs one. Acceleration is far and away the best I've driven, better than BMWs, Porsches, Vettes. I test drove everything except Ferraris and Lamborghinis and chose the Viper, and I'm still happy with it.

Favorite Features

Great engine. Great engine!! Great handling except in snow (I know I shouldn't drive it in winter, but...). Sound system OK except when flying at speed with top down. Convertible top goes up and down with ease--who needs a power top? Gets stares everywhere, even New York City.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to cool the engine so that the driver's feet don't roast. Other than that--don't mess with perfection.