2005 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
By jmosley on 12/22/09 16:12 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first got the car, it was great. Everything worked fine. Using the flex fuel was great, until the gas gauge stopped working... Then the transmission slipped... Then the alloy wheel got a crack in it... Then the fan for heating/ac must have lost a blade and sounds like an airplane even on 1. Then the heat stopped working at an idle and wont kick on until 2 thousand rpm's. And now, in 24 degree weather, the drivers window decides the go down and not back up. Dealership wants 37 bucks just to put it up without fixing the problem, junkyard wants 35 bucks for the switch and 35 bucks for the motor. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't. But having a trade in value of nearly nothing stinks.

I would never buy a Dodge again!
By DonnaGrace64 on 11/30/09 21:19 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car in Dec 2005 and it still had miles left on the original warranty, I was happy. But I wasn't thinking that I needed to get it in for servce right away and within a few months I had to replace the transmission. Now the Shock Mounts/struts holding the rear shocks in place have broken and I need to replace them. I have so many problems with this car ever since I bought it - and the dealership I took it to for service just expects me to accept the broken mounts due to "salt and corrosion" as normal -even though the car is only about 5 years from the manufacture date- That I should have no problem with having to pay $550.00 for this repair. I'll never buy a Dodge again!!!

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT FAILED at 80K mil
By Dodge Customer on 11/27/09 08:50 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The timing belt failed at 80K on my 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2.4 liter which caused 2 engine valves to be bent and the first time my service manual said anything about the timing belt is to change it at 90K miles. It did not say anything about inspecting or anything else concerning the timing belt before then.So now I'm stuck with a $1650 engine repair when this could have been avoided if Dodge at least suggested inspection of the timing belt at 60K or 70K miles.Not happy!

Boutght used, running well
By LARRYH on 10/02/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Needed car for my daughter to drive for school and activities. Found this, with low miles (23,000 when we bought it). It has been a really enjoyable little car. My daughter loves to drive it, and, even with the 2.4 4 cylinder, it has decent pickup and driveability. Seats are comfortable, mileage is decent (average 25 mpg). Was not really expecting much based on reviews, but have been pleased. My daughter has driven in 12,000 miles since purchase, and it has been completely reliable so far.

Dodge Stratus Coupe
By LJ on 10/06/08 20:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2.4L SXT version, and I purchased it with 32,000 on the clock in June 06. Not once have I ever had maintenance issues with the car. I've only ever done basic stuff (brake pads, tires, oil changes). The car handles with ease, yet at the same time, feels like a bus in terms of length. You can't see completely over the hood, which attributes to the seat designing. The car can get up and go, but don't expect this to be a high end BMW in camouflage. Its more in a competitors range of Mitsubishi Eclipses, Galants, etc. Solid car, nothing overwhelming.

Stratus R/T Coupe
By Carol on 07/10/08 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Got the car used with about 24,000 miles on it. Pretty much like the car except for the fact that the paint is peeling off the front bumper - don't know why - and estimates are approximately $600+ to get it repainted. Also, in really cold, wetter weather, the automatic windows freeze which is inconvenient when pulling into the parking garage at work where I have to scan a card for entrance - new mechanics in door did not help. Otherwise, the car runs great!

DO NOT EVER BUY !
By Duhkneez on 06/23/08 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I thought buying a car only a year old with low mileage would be a good idea. Not at all. I've had nothing but problems from day 1. The dealership and the car are awful. I've had to bring it in the shop because my check engine light won't stay off. I've had many parts replaced and now I can't pass my inspection. I will never buy anything but a Toyota, Honda or Nissan again. My old Nissan and Toyota, I bought older and with higher mileage and had no problems. I'm stuck now cause I've dumped so much money it.

What's up with the Brakes
By Not Happy on 05/06/08 07:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate my Stratus. The interior is dark. Should be overhead lights or lighting on the shift. And the brakes. Ha - mine squeal so bad I'm embarrassed to stop beside someone. The dealership claims there is nothing wrong. I read that if you reverse the calibers it was suppose to help, but my mechanic doesn't understand what that would do. The sound is worse then a dump truck. I hate this car and if I wasn't so upside down on it,I would trade it in today, Calling Dodge or Chrysler doesn't help.

Disappointed
By bran222 on 05/01/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car with 18 miles. It was our first 'New' car. The second day we owned it the engine light came on. We had to have the emissions system replaced. Since then the driver's power window has had to be fixed, I have taken it to the dealer 3 times about the brakes and transmission and they say everything is okay. Now that it's just out of warranty (we hit 40,000 last month) I am told the front wheel bearings both need to be replaced! I know the transmission still slips and is very jerky or slow to shift into gear. The brakes have been loud for months. Trade in is 8,000 and I have the V6 engine! Very disappointed, nothing but problems from the start!

I love this car!
By ktracy03 on 04/25/08 20:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I owned my stratus for 2 years, the ONLY reason I traded it is because my husband wanted a Charger, only because he would have done it for me, did I do this for him. I did absolutely love this car though, it was sharp looking, comfortable, and just "fit ME" like it was made for me. I highly recommend this car for reliability, comfort, looks, etc.