2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Great Value Midsize Sedan
By jklag11 on 05/27/13 07:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT Sedan 2 years ago with 64,000 miles on it. Just passing 85,000 miles now and have not had a single repair yet. Bought the car for about $5,000 less than a same-year Camry or Accord, and have not regretted that decision once. Besides the fact that the Stratus is far and away more attractive than either, it has a much more spacious interior and has very good handling for a mid-2000s midsize sedan. My only complaint to date has been that I tend to drive more city than highway, and have never been able to meet either the EPA (22 mpg) or Edmunds predicted (19 mpg) city ratings. Otherwise, very happy with my Stratus!

Dependable
By kristee1 on 09/09/12 06:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in Jan 2006, since have raised 3 kids in it and it currently has 200,000 miles. It has had a few issues, the front right passenger floor board leaks, dealer said that wasnt under warranty, and they wanted 1500 to fix it. So its always leaked! Then I went over some train tracks and the belt came off, took 10 different shops and about a yr to get the belt and pulley on together so they ran as a unit, cause it was eating about a belt a week. Trans and motor, never had not one issue, though Im a stickler about preventative maintaince.

Not what I expected
By slindom on 08/09/11 18:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned this car since it had 21,000 miles and was a good car till about 30,000 then the injectors started going one at a time. It was under warrenty so took it to local dealer to be fixed they would only change one at a time as they went out so was back four times before it was done. Now car has about 70,000 and is having shifting problems it will downshift for no reason even at highway speeds which can't be good for the engine or trans. Have had it to dealer not under warrenty anymore so costs 99.95 every time for them to test it only to tell me nothings is wrong. What a joke my advice is if you have this car dump it before you reach 70,000

What a pile of junk!
By 4starks on 06/06/11 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 36k on it from Hertz Car Sales in Pasco. They say they have a money back guarentee for 7 days...I call BS on that. I took it back to them as it was making a noise, they couldn't hear it so they wouldn't honor it. It has had nothing but problems since day 1!! Bad mileage, small breakdowns etc and NOW, my crank is bad and it is going to cost me a new engine. Just turned 100k. I hate this freaking car, and I hate Hertz Car Sales.

After 5 years worth of abuse, it's still a fun car...
By wy_themoparguy on 02/11/11 12:58 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Mine's actually an SXT 2.7 V6, not an R/T V6, but Edmunds didn't have an entry for SXT 2.7 V6... Anyway, I bought this car used in June of '06, and have enjoyed it every day since. It has a very sporty feel, handles well, and is built pretty well overall.

By jmosley on 12/22/09 16:12 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first got the car, it was great. Everything worked fine. Using the flex fuel was great, until the gas gauge stopped working... Then the transmission slipped... Then the alloy wheel got a crack in it... Then the fan for heating/ac must have lost a blade and sounds like an airplane even on 1. Then the heat stopped working at an idle and wont kick on until 2 thousand rpm's. And now, in 24 degree weather, the drivers window decides the go down and not back up. Dealership wants 37 bucks just to put it up without fixing the problem, junkyard wants 35 bucks for the switch and 35 bucks for the motor. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't. But having a trade in value of nearly nothing stinks.

I would never buy a Dodge again!
By DonnaGrace64 on 11/30/09 21:19 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I purchased this car in Dec 2005 and it still had miles left on the original warranty, I was happy. But I wasn't thinking that I needed to get it in for servce right away and within a few months I had to replace the transmission. Now the Shock Mounts/struts holding the rear shocks in place have broken and I need to replace them. I have so many problems with this car ever since I bought it - and the dealership I took it to for service just expects me to accept the broken mounts due to "salt and corrosion" as normal -even though the car is only about 5 years from the manufacture date- That I should have no problem with having to pay $550.00 for this repair. I'll never buy a Dodge again!!!

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT FAILED at 80K mil
By Dodge Customer on 11/27/09 08:50 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The timing belt failed at 80K on my 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2.4 liter which caused 2 engine valves to be bent and the first time my service manual said anything about the timing belt is to change it at 90K miles. It did not say anything about inspecting or anything else concerning the timing belt before then.So now I'm stuck with a $1650 engine repair when this could have been avoided if Dodge at least suggested inspection of the timing belt at 60K or 70K miles.Not happy!

Boutght used, running well
By LARRYH on 10/02/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Needed car for my daughter to drive for school and activities. Found this, with low miles (23,000 when we bought it). It has been a really enjoyable little car. My daughter loves to drive it, and, even with the 2.4 4 cylinder, it has decent pickup and driveability. Seats are comfortable, mileage is decent (average 25 mpg). Was not really expecting much based on reviews, but have been pleased. My daughter has driven in 12,000 miles since purchase, and it has been completely reliable so far.

DO NOT EVER BUY !
By Duhkneez on 06/23/08 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I thought buying a car only a year old with low mileage would be a good idea. Not at all. I've had nothing but problems from day 1. The dealership and the car are awful. I've had to bring it in the shop because my check engine light won't stay off. I've had many parts replaced and now I can't pass my inspection. I will never buy anything but a Toyota, Honda or Nissan again. My old Nissan and Toyota, I bought older and with higher mileage and had no problems. I'm stuck now cause I've dumped so much money it.