Used 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Great Value Midsize Sedan
By jklag11

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT Sedan 2 years ago with 64,000 miles on it. Just passing 85,000 miles now and have not had a single repair yet. Bought the car for about $5,000 less than a same-year Camry or Accord, and have not regretted that decision once. Besides the fact that the Stratus is far and away more attractive than either, it has a much more spacious interior and has very good handling for a mid-2000s midsize sedan. My only complaint to date has been that I tend to drive more city than highway, and have never been able to meet either the EPA (22 mpg) or Edmunds predicted (19 mpg) city ratings. Otherwise, very happy with my Stratus!

Favorite Features

Attractive Exterior Styling Good Handling Excellent Visibility Comfortable and Spacious Interior Reliablility Strong Stereo Exellent Highway MPG (35+ on most trips) Smooth and Quiet ride Large Trunk

Suggested Improvements

Poor City MPG (15-16) Strangely small trunk and pass-through openings make it hard to make full use of the large trunk for bulky items

Dependable
By kristee1

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in Jan 2006, since have raised 3 kids in it and it currently has 200,000 miles. It has had a few issues, the front right passenger floor board leaks, dealer said that wasnt under warranty, and they wanted 1500 to fix it. So its always leaked! Then I went over some train tracks and the belt came off, took 10 different shops and about a yr to get the belt and pulley on together so they ran as a unit, cause it was eating about a belt a week. Trans and motor, never had not one issue, though Im a stickler about preventative maintaince.

Favorite Features

Its roomy, like I said before 3 kids in the back seat, I have taught 2 new drivers how to drive in this car, when I say "stop!" it stops!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should have taken better care of thier customers, like other ppl on here, when its new and has issues Dodge should have made it thier responibility to make sure we would be returning customers. When we are/were paying $500 a mo for a vehicle and they dont stop a leak or informing us about the right steering arm being recalled in a timely fashion, not when your car has a week left under warranty. When I called thier customer service line for info on getting that fixed, it was automated and when they got back with me the warranty had expired, I was over 72,000m!

Not what I expected
By slindom

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned this car since it had 21,000 miles and was a good car till about 30,000 then the injectors started going one at a time. It was under warrenty so took it to local dealer to be fixed they would only change one at a time as they went out so was back four times before it was done. Now car has about 70,000 and is having shifting problems it will downshift for no reason even at highway speeds which can't be good for the engine or trans. Have had it to dealer not under warrenty anymore so costs 99.95 every time for them to test it only to tell me nothings is wrong. What a joke my advice is if you have this car dump it before you reach 70,000

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Everything

What a pile of junk!
By 4starks

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 36k on it from Hertz Car Sales in Pasco. They say they have a money back guarentee for 7 days...I call BS on that. I took it back to them as it was making a noise, they couldn't hear it so they wouldn't honor it. It has had nothing but problems since day 1!! Bad mileage, small breakdowns etc and NOW, my crank is bad and it is going to cost me a new engine. Just turned 100k. I hate this freaking car, and I hate Hertz Car Sales.

Favorite Features

The look of the outside, the comfort of the inside IF you are the driver only. The passenger side is very uncomfortable

By jmosley

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first got the car, it was great. Everything worked fine. Using the flex fuel was great, until the gas gauge stopped working... Then the transmission slipped... Then the alloy wheel got a crack in it... Then the fan for heating/ac must have lost a blade and sounds like an airplane even on 1. Then the heat stopped working at an idle and wont kick on until 2 thousand rpm's. And now, in 24 degree weather, the drivers window decides the go down and not back up. Dealership wants 37 bucks just to put it up without fixing the problem, junkyard wants 35 bucks for the switch and 35 bucks for the motor. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't. But having a trade in value of nearly nothing stinks.

Favorite Features

sleek look, tint, fuel economy, spacious rear seats

Suggested Improvements

spare tire cover