Used 2005 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Great Value Midsize Sedan
By jklag11

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT Sedan 2 years ago with 64,000 miles on it. Just passing 85,000 miles now and have not had a single repair yet. Bought the car for about $5,000 less than a same-year Camry or Accord, and have not regretted that decision once. Besides the fact that the Stratus is far and away more attractive than either, it has a much more spacious interior and has very good handling for a mid-2000s midsize sedan. My only complaint to date has been that I tend to drive more city than highway, and have never been able to meet either the EPA (22 mpg) or Edmunds predicted (19 mpg) city ratings. Otherwise, very happy with my Stratus!

Favorite Features

Attractive Exterior Styling Good Handling Excellent Visibility Comfortable and Spacious Interior Reliablility Strong Stereo Exellent Highway MPG (35+ on most trips) Smooth and Quiet ride Large Trunk

Suggested Improvements

Poor City MPG (15-16) Strangely small trunk and pass-through openings make it hard to make full use of the large trunk for bulky items

A Great Purchase
By mason_mm

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 5th car in 3 years; needless to say, I have terrible luck with cars. However, this puppy was the best decision I've ever made with cars. The engine has good get up and go, the clutch is pleasantly shallow and the performance overall is great for a 4-cyl. The interior is great- the special edition with 2-tone leather is a great touch. The exterior design is the best Dodge/Chrysler had done in a long time, and I dont think any of their newer vehicles even look as good. If they still made these, I would buy one again and again.

Favorite Features

4-disc CD player, comfortable seats, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better key fob (panic button is too easily hit on accident), cleaner engine set up in engine bay (get dirty and pitted rather easily)

Dependable
By kristee1

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in Jan 2006, since have raised 3 kids in it and it currently has 200,000 miles. It has had a few issues, the front right passenger floor board leaks, dealer said that wasnt under warranty, and they wanted 1500 to fix it. So its always leaked! Then I went over some train tracks and the belt came off, took 10 different shops and about a yr to get the belt and pulley on together so they ran as a unit, cause it was eating about a belt a week. Trans and motor, never had not one issue, though Im a stickler about preventative maintaince.

Favorite Features

Its roomy, like I said before 3 kids in the back seat, I have taught 2 new drivers how to drive in this car, when I say "stop!" it stops!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Dodge should have taken better care of thier customers, like other ppl on here, when its new and has issues Dodge should have made it thier responibility to make sure we would be returning customers. When we are/were paying $500 a mo for a vehicle and they dont stop a leak or informing us about the right steering arm being recalled in a timely fashion, not when your car has a week left under warranty. When I called thier customer service line for info on getting that fixed, it was automated and when they got back with me the warranty had expired, I was over 72,000m!

An excellent American car!
By leprof

2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car since I drove it off the lot in Oct. 2005. A former rental car, it had a couple stains in the back seat and around 27k miles on it. Since then I have driven it around 80k miles with no problems at all whatsoever except regular maintenance. One bit of advice - be careful of curbs and potholes because I have ruined some tires/control arms doing this. It is quite low to the ground. Having been told "don't buy American" I was hesitant to buy it, but I am so pleased with this car! I will drive it until it dies.

Favorite Features

4-disc in-dash CD player with awesome sound. Fun to drive - drives like a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort.

Love At First Sight!
By liber_jr

2005 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently bought my first car, a 2005 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe (No Automatic Option On Website) with the 4 speed auto with the auto-stick option. When I bought it there were only 109,100 miles. The performance is great and you can even spin the tires in the manual mode. One minor flaw I noticed was that if you have long legs like I do, when you make a turn the cruse control setup hits your leg. Other than that it was the best possible car for me and haven't had and issues with it besides a few burned out bulbs. I highly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Sound System, Wheels, Maroon Color, Aggressive Styling, Performance.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise Control Location, More Aggressive Back End, 5 Speed Automatic With Manual Mode, More Performance