2004 Dodge Stratus 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Never Ever Buy An American

2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Review

Never Ever Buy An American Car
By Newton on

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Picked my Stratus SXT 2.7L V6 in late 2004 when the line was coming to the end of its run, it cost me $17,000. For 40,000 miles the car was fine, but suddenly everything started to go - the transmission started leaking and a pump failed, the coolant bottle ruptured, the entire brake system had to be replaced ($1,500), and the AC went out. All this on top of the cost of having to run the V6 on pure synthetic oil because of that engine's noted sludging problems. For a car that's only worth $5000 I seem to have put $2,500 into it this year alone, and all at just 47,000 miles. This is my third American car and I will never, ever buy another, they are the worst kind of unspeakable junk.

Favorite Features

Peppy V6 when revved, comfortable seats, spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the "sludge monster" V6, needs better brakes, more reliable transmission, more reliable cruise control - everything really, this is why you guys are all going out of business, you make junk.
By herc
on 04/17/14 13:15 PM (PDT)

You didn't buy an American car. Daimler is a German company last I checked and they owned the company when this car was built. You can thank them for turning the cars into crap.