2004 Dodge Stratus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Stratus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Sort Reviews by

What is wrong with this car?
By towerman78

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

At first I thought this might be a good car for the price but, then problems. As they say there is never a good deal, you get what you pay for. I have a stalling and acceleration problem that Bartow Dodge and Fort Myers Dodge can't seem to fix. I even have the full warranty extended to 72/72,000 but what good is it if they cant fix the car huh! This is my second Stratus and one Intrepid and I'm done with Dodge...PERIOD.

Favorite Features

Sound system

Suggested Improvements

Loose some of the computer wiring. it seems to cause more problems than perfection.

so far so good........
By lovemystratus03/04

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

So far so good. I bought my Stratus in March 2004 and I love it. It is fun to drive and has great handling. The V6 engine has a lot of get up and go. It is also pretty good on gas. The interior is spacious and the rear can hold my three kids (2 that are in booster seats) comfortably. The only thing that I would change is the console design and storage. Everything else I love!

Favorite Features

Exterior design, interior space, 16 inch alloy wheels, V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

new console design, standard side curtain air-bags, more storage

Stratus Beats Taurus
By dhermesc

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Started out looking for a 2003 or 2004 Ford Taurus (to replace 99 Taurus as family car). Had not had good experience with Ford dealerships in my area (lousy service, ever wonder where the term "stealership" came from?). Had Impala for company car - only drive it because its free. Test drove the Stratus - quieter then the Taurus, more back seat room for the 2 & 5 year old but just a little narrower. Good power for passing on the two lane roads in my area (especially compared to the Vulcan engine the Taurus). The interior of SE seemed a little plain but good enough to haul (and clean up after) the curtain climbers. Otherwise well equipped with keyless entry, CD and power seat.

Favorite Features

PRICE!!!! Purchased a 2004 with only 11K for $10,500, couldn't get an 04 Taurus that low. The 2.7L has excellant power for this size of car.

Suggested Improvements

Just learned of the 2.7L "sludge" problem, am using synthetic oil which seems to correct the problem. Also having it changed at the dealer to ensure warranty. Did they really need to mount the light switch on the blicker arm too?

More Chrysler Garbage
By GIBill

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this vehicle for less than 6 months before trading it in on an Accord. The only reason I bought it was the cheap price. But like the last Chrysler product I owned this car suffered from underpowered air conditioning (sounds loud, hardly cools the car), a jerky automatic transmission with weird gear ratios, and a ride like the shocks were made of oak. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Fun Car, Great Price
By Silky

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Pros: the attractive looks, the power, and the value. I went from a 4 cyl 2001 Accord with lthr seats to this, and it was no step down. These cloth seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat on in a car. This car is a great value with a heck of a lot of giddyup. The downside is the headroom is atrocious & with the curvature of the door/window I smack my head all the time when trying to check my blind spot. Next, the transmission is rough..stalls under hard braking occasionally and shifts very rough, especially down. Last, the gas mileage is terrible. I'm lucky to get 20 mpg on my short daily drives. Overall, though, a great car to drive to its death since resale value stinks.

Favorite Features

Sexy looks, great acceleration, good value

Suggested Improvements

Transmission should be smoother, increase the headroom slightly without losing sleek looks, ABS should be standard in this day and age on a car in this class

2001 Stratus RT
By Tig594

2004 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've ever owned. It is sporty and fun to drive and feels solid and safe underneath you. It looks good on the road and is comfortable and quite roomy on the inside. My boss got in and asked if it was a Mustang. I've put a ton of miles on it (for work) and it's been very reliable. It has excellent pick-up. I've had no problems with it at all. Get a red one with a sun roof!

Favorite Features

It came with a great stereo and 7 speakers. The lines on the car are clean and sleek. Huge trunk. Very comfy interior.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of any. Well, maybe to not have the check engine light come on every 15000 miles. Most new cars have that and it's very annoying and a way for mechanics to get your money.

ITS THE BOMB !!!!!!!!
By bananarepnj

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

i bought the Stratus 04 in OCTOBER this year, i love the car ever since. it has a lot of rooms on everything that i need, sporty looking, and great gas mileage, its great to drive it in the highway. it wasnt my first choice of vehicle to buy, but as soon as i saw it on the dealer and test drive it, i fell in love with some of the futures.

Favorite Features

the dash board, shoulder harnes in the middle

Suggested Improvements

cd players should be standard

Good Family Car
By SarahLee15

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Stratus for about a year now. It is a nice, reliable, family car, with plenty of space to haul things. It is especially nice when taking long trips. It's comfortable, and has plenty of room. I have never had to worry about it being stolen or broken in to, due to the nice safety features. I love my Stratus, and know that I can always depend on it. I would highly recommend this car to young professionals and families. It is inexpensive, and reliable.

Favorite Features

Large Trunk! Keys with security chips! Back seats that fold down!

Suggested Improvements

None. I like it just as it is.

Rock it AND Roll it
By Silencer79

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my car. I will definitely stick with Dodge...it has left a good flavor. I am only 21 but I know a good ride...and this is it.

Favorite Features

Rides smooth....has awesome pick up and go....very profesional but young and fun...a car that is good for all ages and types.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features...and a little cheaper...you can get a used mustang or an base mustang for about the same price.

2004 Dodge Stratus
By JJAR

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great car! corfortable, sporty. Roomy on the inside, huge trunk space, lots of features, great speed, good on gas (improves the more you drive it).Handles likes a sports car, good for a family car. Would buy another!!!!

Favorite Features

Looks like a sports car, has room on the inside(lots of space)for the family. Easy to get to everything. Handles well and has loads of speed. Great handler on the road! Love it

Suggested Improvements

CD player in all models. Electronic windows that stay on track-- buttons/motors need replaced more often