2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
The Car I Will Die With
By secretwind0w on 09/25/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Stratus because it looked like a miniature Intrepid, only cheaper. Took my first road trip in it, now i take one every 6 wks. Big trunk to put a big speaker box. I fit a lotta people in such a little car. Put a Flowmaster on it: sounds mean now. Cold-air intake makes a delightful sucking noise. Great gas mileage. Drop down backseat so you can haul 10ft pieces of wood. Never left me anywhere. Just had 4 flats, needed new car stereo, a recall on a radiator hose, and one replaced battery. Man I love this car. Great cupholders. You can fit two Sonic Route 44 drinks in em. Takes me to work and school, its like driving a little growling cloud.

Nice car for the money
By Captain Jim on 09/22/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 44,000 bought it from a rental company after a year with 26,000 miles on it. I have now had it 4 years and it has only been in the shop for regular service and one additional time for front brakes about 80 dollars. I got it for a good price and it has been perfectly reliable so far. I have the extended warranty but have never had to use it so far. I had a 30,000 plus Nissan Z and it was more fun to drive but way more expensive to maintain it was always in the shop.

No wonder Chrysler went bankrupt.
By tavella on 07/17/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

From the first day I had the car it jumped forward at a deadstop almost rearending people. PCM and TCM reprogrammed six times. Now Speedometer is off. Had a caliper bolt fall out while going 70mph on a highway. Caliper came free, locked the front passenger rim. Cheap plastic parts inside car CONTINUE to break, cheap plastic cooling housing separated and started leaking, various codes kick for no reason. A/C lines clogged and flooding passenger side. Stay away from this peice of junk.

Never Ever Buy An American Car
By Newton on 05/13/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Picked my Stratus SXT 2.7L V6 in late 2004 when the line was coming to the end of its run, it cost me $17,000. For 40,000 miles the car was fine, but suddenly everything started to go - the transmission started leaking and a pump failed, the coolant bottle ruptured, the entire brake system had to be replaced ($1,500), and the AC went out. All this on top of the cost of having to run the V6 on pure synthetic oil because of that engine's noted sludging problems. For a car that's only worth $5000 I seem to have put $2,500 into it this year alone, and all at just 47,000 miles. This is my third American car and I will never, ever buy another, they are the worst kind of unspeakable junk.

Pretty Darn Proud
By Sarah on 04/02/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! I've had this car since 2006 and I love it. It couldn't be more reliable, I believe if you take care of your car you won't have any problems. I love to travel and my parents don't have to worry when I take my car. The engine still looks brand new and it has 47,000 some miles and not a hint of a problem. The gas mileage is pretty good, phenominal on the highway. The speaker system is awesome and the exterior has a little bit of a younger look than some of the other cars out there. Great for a college kid or a family. Here's to more trips and a great car!!!

Wife's car
By TomK on 02/18/09 14:59 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just keeps running with very few problems. The only bad problem we had was the disc brake rotors. Had to finally replace them with good ones! Other than that, it is a very dependable vehicle!

About my car.
By Desirae on 10/10/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The stratus was my first car I had purchased, I loved it when I first sat in it, I had ordered it from another State, it travels nice long distances and flies up hill! The only thing that did something really weird is that it would accelerate on its own, almost had me cause an accident! It's done that several times, and the problems with the engine light going on and off, something to do with an oxygen sensor, and whenever you turn the wheel sharp it would make a clicking sound, brakes may need to be replaced already!

Surprisingly Good Car
By chewmill on 10/07/08 05:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a program car in 2005. 28-31 mpg hwy. Driven for 82,000 miles of its 100,800 and only put money into oil changes and tires. Problem just arose with engine stutter. Probably bad plug wires from the auto store since I replaced plugs and coil assembly already. Body has held up and interior looks great. Not a quiet car at 75 mph. Lots of road noise. The 4 cylinder engine is weak with full load, but fine for 2 people and luggage.

Thought I liked it
By Amanda on 08/13/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I liked this car at first. But I wish I would have bought something different. It's been an okay car, but when it shifts into different gears, you can literally feel the whole car shift as it is not very smooth. Also, recently I had to take it in because the back strut went bad and they said when they hoisted the car up on the lift it was so rusted that it had disconnected from the car itself. My brother-in-law who is a very honest car repairman said he didn't feel safe driving that "tin can" around. Also, it's shocks aren't very good compared to my husband's Ford Taurus.

blah...
By SusanG on 06/30/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Stratus as a graduation/wedding gift from my parents, and it was great for 3 years. Then, this year, I've spent more than $2000 in repairs, including transmission work. The brakes were replaced three months ago, and they're already showing moderate wear even with a gentle touch. The bleeder hose on the coolant system just "wore out" and my car overheated. I'm considering dumping the car before it costs more money.